CAAD12 Headset height / Spacers questions

Hendrix2430
Hendrix2430 Posts: 119
edited July 2017 in Workshop
Hi, just recently received a CAAD12 and the stack height is a bit high, and feels a bit too high compared to what it'd like. It's a great bike but I might like to lower the stem slightly.

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

There appears to be 3 smaller spacers and a large one. Additionally the top screw seems to be pretty low down... see pictures. Would it be safe to put to remove the 3 small spacers and put them on top of the stem - while keeping the large one below the stem?

Not sure how much tolerance there is, I would not want to damage anything! Is it something I could do myself? Thanks for your guidance!

Cheers

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Cut the steerer appropriately.
    The si top cap used on CAADS can be quite happy spacerless.
    Bad idea to have more than ONE spacer above anyways... plus it looks like you want to sell the bike on the week after next... just in case syndrome.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yes, perfectly safe. Move the 3 spacers to the top, see how you like it and if it's fine then cut the steerer for aesthetics (leaving one thin spacer above is a good idea).
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Once cut, put a classified advert on to sell the spacers, Trek owners love them.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Once cut, put a classified advert on to sell the spacers, Trek owners love them.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Don't cut anything until you are sure you want to cut it. It's aesthetic and you can sort this afterwards. Also, I'd seek advice when you do get to cutting because it seems your understanding of all things to do with headsets etc is very limited or you wouldn't have asked the question.

Right, back to the question you asked. Yes, you can put the 3 on top and leave the large one below. you can move it all around as much as you like using that logic.

If you are not sure, get a mate who knows bikes to do it, or pop by a shop, they shouldn't charge you as it is a 2 minute job (if they try to, change bike shops).
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Once cut, put a classified advert on to sell the spacers, Trek owners love them.

The only SANE ANSWER
    My own was a portent of death.
  • Hendrix2430
    Thanks for the help guys - going to my LBS tomorrow morning have this done. I really don't mind about aesthetics to be honest..doesn't look bad to me to have it slightly sticking out, you see it a lot. Cheers!
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    There 'should' be a 5mm top cap underneath the 20mm one ... Also, if this bike is new, how have you got a Ritchey stem?
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Hendrix2430
    New CAAD frame and rest are new components I bought. I'll have a look but there only seems to be 4 spacers : 3 smaller ones and a large one...Cheers!