Dropper Post, which one?

BOSSNUT.DAVE
BOSSNUT.DAVE Posts: 102
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
Right, My new bike has arrived. But the externally routed dropper seat I already had, isn't a good idea. As the hydraulic cable fouls on the suspension linkage. So I'm going to have to sell this one (or fit it to the wifes bike :oops: ) and get an internally routed dropper.

I went straight to a RockShox Reverb £248 but this caught my eye Crank Brothers HighLine £239 It has a 3 year warranty, is cable operated, so easier to fit. The operation lever is much more versatile.

Which one would you guys go for?

Comments

• Foxynjr
    Foxynjr Posts: 10
    Not sure about those two but I've got a Brand X Ascend which is cable operated and internally routed and it cost £105.

Had it for about 900miles now and apart from a bit of paint rub on the shaft as it drops its been great. And it has a 2 year warranty.

Would recommend it to anyone.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't buy Crank Bros. Anything by them is best avoided, terrible quality and lots of form over function.
    I've had Reverbs since they first came out. Yes they can have their issues but they're by far the most popular which is why you'll find more negative reports for them. They have a really good warranty, if you get a problem, they'll swap it for a new one very quickly.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Reverb, no issues with mine, if they were that bad then they wouldn't be standard fit on the majority of bikes.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Reverb might be cheaper here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rock ... prod145549

Apparently early reverbs were unreliable but later ones better.
  • macs
    macs Posts: 209
    I've got a Giant switch and it can be internal or external. £130 or so and been great for 600 miles. Only minor gripe is that the top rotates a bit and you can hear it knocking when descending, now I'm used to it I don't notice so much. But that's just a tiny gripe and I certainly don't notice when seated.
  • Cheers guys.
    I'll see how i get on.
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    I've had a couple of trips out on my RSP Plummet 125mm now and it seems to do the job.
    The lever is functional but not perfect, but as replacement levers for other droppers can cost more than this entire dropper, it's hard to complain.

My one is externally routed, but they seem to be available as internal.
    It's the only dropper I've ever used, so can't compare to anything else.
  • I went for the CrankBro one, as i really like the level action and wanted a cable operated one. Mainly due to the routing and then having to bleed a hydraulic one.

I've got to say the lever action is really nice.