Stem: Easton EA90
Headset: Bowman
Bar Tape: Lizard Skins

Brakes: Shimano 5800 throughout

Shifters: Shimano 5800 11 speed

Seat: Prologo Kappa Evo
Seat Post: Easton EA70
Seat Post Clamp: Bowman

Cranks & Chainrings - Shimano 5700 (to maintain compatibility with my Power Meter)
Chain: Shimano 5800
Cassette: Shimano 5800
Pedals: Shimano 6800
Bottom Bracket: Shimano 5800

Wheels: Prime RR-50 Carbon (Wiggle / CRC)
Tire: Continental GP4000S II

Bike goes really well - the frame and forks are lively as expected, and the wheels are my first foray into carbon rims. They seem good. Still some work to be done on positioning, particularly saddle position, and I may take another spacer out of the stem.

Note: Photos taken as it was starting to get dark, so blue elements of frame appear white-ish.

Pete

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4501.jpg

IMG_4500.jpg

Comments

• Nodey
    Nodey Posts: 63
    Nice looking bike.

Can I ask what size tyres you're running and are there any issues with removing the rear wheel when the tyre is fully inflated. I'd heard the Palace had really tight clearances.

Ta
  • Nice looking frames these, shame they won't take 28mm tyres though. And the external cabling.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Great build, I was looking at the frames yesterday as wanting to buy an alu race bike for next year. Would you mind me asking how much you think you built it up for? No need to include wheels in the sums.

Enjoy.
  • sanspoof
    sanspoof Posts: 111
    Looks great, that bar tape wrapping on the right hand side would do my head in though!!!
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    23mm tyres, and yes, clearance is tight, but I can get the wheel out fine.

Pete
    Nodey wrote:
    Nice looking bike.

Can I ask what size tyres you're running and are there any issues with removing the rear wheel when the tyre is fully inflated. I'd heard the Palace had really tight clearances.

Ta
  • peteco
    I think it is capable of internal cables - certainly some holes in the frame that I am not using !

Pete
    Nice looking frames these, shame they won't take 28mm tyres though. And the external cabling.
  • peteco
    About £2,100 inc wheels, which were £640.

Pete

Great build, I was looking at the frames yesterday as wanting to buy an alu race bike for next year. Would you mind me asking how much you think you built it up for? No need to include wheels in the sums.

Enjoy.
  • peteco
    Bar wrapping is not my forte, and I have some bar tape on order to sort that.

Pete

sanspoof wrote:
    Looks great, that bar tape wrapping on the right hand side would do my head in though!!!
  • fac83ajc
    fac83ajc Posts: 19
    Looks lovely!

There again I have one on order that is due this week so I would say that. However seeing yours has reminded me why I bought it in the first place :)

Enjoy it
  • Great looking bike. I'm thinking of changing from my van nicholas to one of these.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you order it and how long did it take to arrive?
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    fac83ajc wrote:
    Looks lovely!

There again I have one on order that is due this week so I would say that. However seeing yours has reminded me why I bought it in the first place :)

Enjoy it

Mine is supposed to be here this week as well, not bad considering I was told early July when I ordered the frame,
    I have a Matt black/ gloss black colour scheme instead of the black / jade I ordered
  • fac83ajc
    Mine is supposed to be here this week as well, not bad considering I was told early July when I ordered the frame,
    I have a Matt black/ gloss black colour scheme instead of the black / jade I ordered

I ordered around mid June and was told late July. And yes I am also going to receive a matt / gloss black "special edition" frameset. Which does still look pretty good (I hope!).
    Great looking bike. I'm thinking of changing from my van nicholas to one of these.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you order it and how long did it take to arrive?

I am expecting mine delivered this week, just hitting 6 weeks since ordering.
  • peteco
    Ordered in March and delivered in May. They build in batches though, so depends when the next batch is due in, and whether what you want is in that current batch.

Suggest you contact them.

Pete

Great looking bike. I'm thinking of changing from my van nicholas to one of these.

• That's great. Thanks for the info. I'm liking the idea of the black on black colourway too. I think the green or jade options were the only things putting me off.
  • fac83ajc
    That's great. Thanks for the info. I'm liking the idea of the black on black colourway too. I think the green or jade options were the only things putting me off.

Unfortunately I am pretty sure the black on black won't be widely available, it's a special edition of sorts. The black and jade it very nice though and they do other colours now and then.

Forgot to ask the OP, what size frame is that? I am assuming it's a 56 but not sure.
  • I found out that if I ordered now I'd get it in December. No talk of any other colours. They have the green on green in a 60cm in stock but I just couldn't like with the colour. It's a long wait which makes me look harder at the kinesis aithein to be honest.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It will be interesting to see if Bowman take the gamble on ordering a lot more stock now that they have the hype momentum. They might not get this opportunity again.
  • Yes I could see them selling a shed load of them in other colourways or neutral ones like the black on black. Is there a rider weight limit on then? I just looked at the kinesis website and the weight limit for the aithein is 14st which I'm creeping ever closer to.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking the original thread with speculative aluminium frame buying infatuation!
  • lincolndave
    Here's the Matt black / gloss black colour scheme
    https://flic.kr/p/XpNuyZ

https://flic.kr/p/W8XdVj
  • Looks really nice. I was sure I was going to love the black on black but I'm actually not sure whether I like it better than the black and jade or not. It'd definitely look better with black bar tape in my opinion. What size of frame is it?
  • lincolndave
    Looks really nice. I was sure I was going to love the black on black but I'm actually not sure whether I like it better than the black and jade or not. It'd definitely look better with black bar tape in my opinion. What size of frame is it?

It's a size56 frame
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Please ditch the frame pump. No place on a race bike.
  • fac83ajc

Nice

Little frustrating you have yours already, while I emailed yesterday and got told something about a typhoon in Taiwan delaying a shipment. So mines isn't likely to be here til Wednesday...

Think they have been a bit caught out here.
  • I've been looking at alternatives due to the long wait times. Both the caad 12 and Canyon ultimate Al Slx look good but each have their own bizarre and limiting standards in terms of bottom bracket, stem or seatpost. The Bowman ticks a lot of boxes in relation to these areas but it's a shame there's such a long wait to get one. The question is, is it worth the wait?
  • lincolndave
    fac83ajc wrote:

Nice

Little frustrating you have yours already, while I emailed yesterday and got told something about a typhoon in Taiwan delaying a shipment. So mines isn't likely to be here til Wednesday...

Think they have been a bit caught out here.

That seems very strange, when I was talking to them after the colour mix up, I was told they would all be shipped on the same day
  • lincolndave
    By the way,I read in an earlier post that the frame will only take 23 mm tyres, I have 25 mm schwalbe pro ons fitted now, and I test rode after the initial build with 25 mm gp40000 s
  • fac83ajc
    Looks like mine is due on Thursday. Different shipments apparently.

Mines will be built with Ultegra as well. Any issues with the build? How does it ride?
  • lincolndave
    fac83ajc wrote:
    Looks like mine is due on Thursday. Different shipments apparently.

Mines will be built with Ultegra as well. Any issues with the build? How does it ride?

I have had three rides , a 5/6 mile test run, just to make sure everything worked as it should do, seat and bars in the right position, one 20 mile ride, and 30 miles yesterday, i now have schwalbe pro ones 25 mm tubeless fitted and it rides like a dream, very comfortable, and responsive , it will be nice to see what it's like on the hills
    I am sure you will not be disappointed with the frame / ride

No problems with the build either very straight forward, looking at the frame tyre clearance you could probably fit 28 mm tyres if required