Shimano Ultegra 6800 Front Derailleur Setup

Plundertaker
Plundertaker Posts: 12
edited July 2017 in Workshop
I have recently purchased a new bike which has a Shimano Ultegra 6800 groupset. This is the first bike that I have owned which has Ultegra components and was surprised by how much more precise they are compared to the Tiagra groupset on my old bike.

I have noticed that when I shift down from the large front chainring (52 tooth) to the small front chainring (36 tooth) that the front derailleur does this in two distinct motions. The first movement shifts the front derailleur over slightly and then once I release the shifter fully it sort of snaps across and into position to complete the change of chainring. The FD is fully aligned, in the correct position and there are no signs of bending on the chainrings or on the derailleur cage itself.

Having read about how to setup the derailleur I am aware that is can be particularly difficult to set the tension properly but all of the gear changes are smooth at the back and I have little to no chain rubbing.

I was just wondering if the two distinct movements from the FD when changing down from the large front chainring to the smaller front chainring is normal or if the FD is in need of further adjustment?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Yes it is normal, what you are describing is part of the trim function (noise prevention), on the L.H. STI lever.

Download the Shimano pdf files from the Search by component section of the website
    http://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/Compo ... &type=ROAD
    ST-6800 UM-6VX0A-0001-00.pdf, for some reason it shows a triple crankset and ST-6700 SI-6SC0A-002-ENG.pdf, shows a double crankset. Read the section on trimming (noise prevention).
  • Thank you very much for your advice it is greatly appreciated.