rjsterry Posts: 27,608
    mamba80 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    ...And those shifts require them to be on their mettle all the time, as its patients lives at stake. Not building bridges, stacking shelves or fiddling some corporations' taxes...

Steady on what you're listing together, when deciding who needs - or not - to be on their mettle at all times. Or you're in danger of showing ignorance.

Merely pointing out that some jobs have more importance where lives are concerned ,ie; doctors and nurses have to be 100% alert at all times. Some other jobs too, Air Traffic Control, pilot, train driver, lorry driver, soldier on front line, soldier on guard duty..... there is quite a list.

But I would say they are in a bracket far removed from tax accountant, civil engineering, stock broker, gardener, teacher, waiter or supermarket work.
    Sure, I mean what can possibly go wrong with a poorly designed bridge or building? We all play our part.

Bridges and buildings aren't designed or built on the spur of the moment. There are layers upon layers of process and checking and double checking and signing off on each element of design.
    Not all doctors work in A&E. It's not all spur of the moment life and death decisions. And there is plenty of checking and peer review as well. Everybody needs safety systems.

I'm not trying to diminish the profession; my point was that lots of people have to think very carefully about what they do, with serious consequences if they don't. I'm not sure it is helpful to put the medical profession or any other on a pedestal - to them or us.

It sounds like you ve chip on your shoulder, without health none of us can play our part... its true many professions are important to every day life but perhaps none are quite so exposed to the consequences of their actions as a Doctor, be it a GP who makes the wrong call about that rash, the Psychiatrist who recommends the release of a person who goes onto kill or an AE junior Dr who fails to spot that internal bleed.

Most of the jobs you mentioned have a "right and wrong" way of doing things, this just isnt true of people and the vast amount of afflictions they can suffer.

Right, one more go.

Firstly: no chip, but I dislike generalised statements about one group of people being 'better' than another.
    I think it was Goo that started listing what he seems to consider worthy and less worthy jobs.
    Clearly some jobs carry greater responsibilities than others. Medical professionals certainly carry more than many, but they are not alone in that. For example, social workers have to make decisions on what level of intervention in a particular family they should make. In extreme cases those decisions can be life or death, but you don't hear many people singing the praises of social workers and boy are they hung out to dry when it goes wrong.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    Pinno wrote:
    That's more than 2 sentences Blakey?! I think you need a Doc's appointment.

I agree with you BTW.
    Some subjects demand more than pithy 2 liners.
    I have my moments, but they are rare. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    rjsterry wrote:
    I think it was Goo that started listing what he seems to consider worthy and less worthy jobs.

He was listing jobs that require you to have concentration 100% of the working time as opposed to those that don't.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,608
    edited July 2017
    rjsterry wrote:

He was listing jobs that require you to have concentration 100% of the working time as opposed to those that don't.
    I stand corrected.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Like a taxi driver?

In an ideal world.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    crispybug2 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Yes of course.

And we use banks too.

And use med services abroad where there is no health service for foreigners.

But the doctors here are greedy - they are overpaid.

Sorry to simplify this but....

One of my friends is a radiologist who is employed by my local NHS hospital (which is according to inspections far from a 'good' hospital) she could easily increase her wages significantly by quitting the NHS and being employed on agency rates but she doesn't because she believes in the NHS and she is far from unique in this respect

So how is she "greedy and overpaid "?

There may be other reasons for not wanting to be agency above the oversimplification above. It is likely that agency staff are only required when NHS staff are not available and this leads to either job insecurity or travelling for work. As a contractor for engineering companies there is always a balance to be struck and I am guessing that a lot of NHS staff see the increase in money but weigh it up against the inconvenience or instability in their life and choose to stay staff. I don't take jobs in the middle east as the downsides in my view outweigh the increased money as a single example. This is the problem with humans is that one sees the other as being overpaid but would not be willing to suck up the downsides of that persons decision.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Being in a bit of an NHS family, there are other reasons...but I think the main is that Agency work is seen as taking advantage of the NHS. Yes, the unpredictability will play a part for most, but the fact that it costs 3x that of normal NHS staff is too much when most are interested in offering a service to the public.

Wife's "step father" works agency, and earns comfortably over twice his normal salary - don't forget the agency will be making money too. He has to travel further afield now and again, but with the abundance of vacancies he's been steadily employed locally for 18 months now.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Francis J has been very patient in his dealing of this case. I sense that patience is being tested a little today.
    I agree, be interesting to know how much of this ongoing court battle is the parents doing, or the people with no sympathy but plenty of outrage on their behalf. Spend time with your child before Friday not with courts and media!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611
    Francis J has been very patient in his dealing of this case. I sense that patience is being tested a little today.
    I agree, be interesting to know how much of this ongoing court battle is the parents doing, or the people with no sympathy but plenty of outrage on their behalf. Spend time with your child before Friday not with courts and media!

Probably wouldn't go down too well if he held the parents in contempt of court for one of their outbursts.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Some subjects demand more than pithy 2 liners.

That's assumptive :wink::D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!