Builders opposite my home (bike security)

musclebeach
musclebeach Posts: 116
edited September 2017 in MTB general
Now I'm definitely not saying anything about builders at all, yesterday it was a window cleaner for example.
Don't you ever get nervous that someone sees you with your nice bike leaving your house.....all it takes is for one person to mention to a dodgy friend of theirs and your house could then be a target!

Specifically the case as we live quite remote with tricky rear entrance to the garden so no onlookers and nobody away from the neighbourhood would know we had bikes if it wasn't for this situation....just gets you on edge when your bike's are only a few months away old, they're insured and locked but still it's unnerving, an I the only one?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think its sensible to think like that. I'd not open my garage up and show my bikes if there were dodgy people around.

Don't forget social media too - so be careful with strava for example - set your privacy zones etc.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Yes.
    People around here have also been followed home (while riding, or with bikes on cars) and then someone's come back when they're out to break in for the bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nah, you're being paranoid. By the way, are you out on Friday? Me and Micky Four Fingers are out "shopping"
  • Nah, you're being paranoid. By the way, are you out on Friday? Me and Micky Four Fingers are out "shopping"
    Your mum's called Micky? :wink:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Nah, you're being paranoid. By the way, are you out on Friday? Me and Micky Four Fingers are out "shopping"

nah, she can take more than 4 fingers :lol:
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    POAH wrote:

She thought I was scratching her with my ring last time but it was my watch!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    POAH wrote:

She thought I was scratching her with my ring last time but it was my watch!

lolz
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • bobbydigital
    bobbydigital Posts: 254
    I have 2 medium sized dogs so I don't worry about such things. It's a free meal.

You could always by a small almax chain and chain it to something solid. They would have to angle grind it off then.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Being cautious is absolutely right and a separate matter from protection with chains and so on. Maybe the best alternative solution is to machine gun all builders working locally.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • musclebeach
    musclebeach Posts: 116
    Glad I'm not the only one, and yes thanks for mentioning....my Strava privacy settings are set so it doesn't mark where I ride from.
    One of my friends is very lucky in a way, he has a very nice bike that's possibly the safest! He's a Police dog handler, the garage is past two massive loud dogs (when woken) and he lives in the police grounds which is full of residential police staff....winner!
  • Gobs
    Gobs Posts: 296
    My 2 MTB's were stolen the day the house opposite my back garden had new UPVC windows fitted and they were up there on ladders. Absolute scum of the earth in those jobs typically. You're right to be cautious
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well case closed columbo. Do you leave the bikes out in the open ?
  • Well i'm not sure if anyone's seen, but devastated to say that all our bikes were stolen 31/08/17!!!!!!!!!
    Just trying to sort out the stolen ad's for the site, Please let me know if you hear of any of the following for sale anywhere.
    - 2017 Transition Scout 4 in black and Red, Medium.
    - 2017 Whyte T130 SX in bright pink, Extra Small (Very rare to find one of these up for sale, struggled like hell to find somewhere with one in stock this year!
    - 2016 Liv Avail Advanced 1 in Grey and Blue, Extra Small and again pretty rare to find one for sale. Bike is Carbon and has top brakes fitted.
    - 2015 Giant Defy 4 2015, White Black and Green, Size ML, i replaced the white bar tape for Black Fizik bartape and has black clipless pedals

Just want the bikes back, still can't believe i'm posting this and it's actually happened!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What a blow!

I hope you have some luck recovering or replacing the bikes.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thank you me too, suppose it means I can focus on my new job a bit more which is never a bad thing. As I was riding at least once a week during the week on downhill off piste, still wish it was back in the shed though!
  • I've just seen this on a local FB page. Guessing yur from Selby?
    I'll keep an eye out for you round here as I'm only 30 miles away.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Thanks Kirby700 glad it's getting spread far and wide, yes that's right near Selby.....which I think is half the problem! Sleepy village......but near Selby!
  • It's shit isn't. Our village is just west of Hull so we get hammered by them. You can see them on little white vans just driving round watching but with zero police presence there's no stopping them.
    We'll apart from the shotgun poked out the bedroom window lol. Good luck getting sorted.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Ha shotgun sounds like the best idea. I literally want the people dead who took ours, I have no emotion but anger at the fact they've stopped me riding and made my gf feel unable to walk outside at night in her garden!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866

I know a home construction builders who works a lot of about construction works if you need to any information visit theirs website.

I think you're the same guy who's been bannished digging up old posts, your English carries the same faults as theirs.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The "upgrade" to the forum has thrown up a load of very old threads. You need to check the dates of posts before replying.
    Answering old threads often adds nothing but creates confusion and can be pointless.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009