13»

Comments

• rflook
    rflook Posts: 72
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rflook wrote:
    rflook wrote:
    He is a great role model in my eyes

Who else is a role model in your eyes, name say another 5 people who inspire?

Specifically sports? Craig Bellamy. Jesse Owens. Jessica Ennis Hill. Manny Pacquaio. Rafael Nadal

Craig Bellamy!

That is fuck1ng hilarious. Lee Bowyer as well, eh?

That's a hell of a list. He'll play the "does a lot of work for charity" card for Bellamy, but then so do many, many other rich footballers and they're not ****s. Jesse Owens is a good one. JE-H for what, exactly? Manny Pacquaio, yet another one that uses religion as a mask for his prejudices and Rafa Nadal of the questionable injuries and comebacks (all nicely timed to suit the worst drug testing regime in professional sport).

I'll bite, a little. I already explained JEH (though could add more if needs be). Bellamy, yes charity work. Pacquiao had an awful upbringing, so I admire him for battling hard to make a better life for those he cares about. Yep he said some things I don't agree with but no one is perfect and he is also a product of his society (not a complete excuse but it does make you understand why he may believe some of the things he does). And Rafa Nadal was amusingly a massive mistake. For some bizarre reason I typed his name instead of Roger Federer. No idea why I did that!

My choices are personal to me, not necessarily because they are all brilliant people all of the time, but because they have done something or have acted in a way I find admirable at some point.

So now let's hear your top 5. If you are happy enough to slag my choices off then you really should have the stomach to have your own choices judged.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747
    Talk of a knighthood is ridiculously premature. What if he wins the TdF another 3 times? What then? Awards should be given on retirement.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    TDF & Vuelta win this year deserves all the accolades. The other thing I like about Froome is he doesn't just do the TDF, he's got three 2nd's and one 4th in the Vuelta too.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Froome and Paul Scholes are both grey people, yet both are extremely talented in their field of play. You never heard of any kind of controversy whatsoever with PS. My only gripe with cycling, and specifically TdF - there's only one dude on the podium, but if you entered the Tour (or any stage race, or perhaps even one of the one day Classics) as an individual you'd have not a single chance of winning it. Froome's chances are slim, because he has no personality - I'm all for sportsmen leaving it all on the field of play - but he really does seem boring. In addition to that Brailsford has essentially buried Sky in media coverage terms. Most of the press won't be behind him. As for Brad winning it and not Froome, they're completely different people. Even the French had a modicum of respect for the guy, and that must speak volumes. I'm not gonna get involved in the TUE debate, but rules are there to be broken/sidestepped. If a loophole exists, I don't advocate cheating but all being well for those who exploit it. I still openly admit to frequenting Starbucks for example.

Whoever suggested Craig Bellamy as inspirational, good shout. A lot of his former team mates and colleagues rate him as the hardest working player they were ever alongside.

Ladies sport has had a good couple of years and I'd be surprised if this years' winner didn't come from a field of the GB women's hockey team, England cricket and England soccer. In addition to that there's Laura Muir, who's having quite a year.

Richard Whitehead (and the fact he's local to me) is inspiring to me personally in that he gives his all at all times despite a life of adversity.

Personally, I think Froome will be happy to just sit and collect the Sky dollars over BBC awards. Who cares if he's never been on Graham Norton - I wouldn't wanna be either.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Mouth wrote:
    Froome and Paul Scholes are both grey people, yet both are extremely talented in their field of play. You never heard of any kind of controversy whatsoever with PS. My only gripe with cycling, and specifically TdF - there's only one dude on the podium, but if you entered the Tour (or any stage race, or perhaps even one of the one day Classics) as an individual you'd have not a single chance of winning it..

....or any other team sport. Paul Scholes didn't play on his own.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Mouth wrote:
    My only gripe with cycling, and specifically TdF - there's only one dude on the podium,.

only for the individual classifications ..... if you look at the "team" classification then the whole team goes up
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Mouth wrote:
    rules are there to be broken/sidestepped.

That's not strictly true.
  • mouth
    fat daddy wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    My only gripe with cycling, and specifically TdF - there's only one dude on the podium,.

only for the individual classifications ..... if you look at the "team" classification then the whole team goes up

So Froome won 4, Wiggins 1, Nibali 1, in the last 6 years. Most people, even cycling fans can't name who won the team classification in each of those years.
  • mouth
    Mouth wrote:
    rules are there to be broken/sidestepped.

That's not strictly true.

No, you're correct. But if people can exploit them to gain to their advantage, they will. In the case of a TUE, the only way to prevent side stepping the rules is to do away with any exemption whatsoever.
  • mouth
    Shortfall wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    Froome and Paul Scholes are both grey people, yet both are extremely talented in their field of play. You never heard of any kind of controversy whatsoever with PS. My only gripe with cycling, and specifically TdF - there's only one dude on the podium, but if you entered the Tour (or any stage race, or perhaps even one of the one day Classics) as an individual you'd have not a single chance of winning it..

You're correct, but how many titles did Paul Scholes win individually? None. How many did Manchester United win? Which name is on the trophy?
  • kingstongraham
    Who was Jordan Spieth's caddy?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Cycling isn't a team sport in the way the traditional team sports like football are. Two of us could probably have ridden for Sky this year and Froome would likely still have won, yes it would have been more difficult but stick me in goal for Chelsea and they would have been relegated.

In any case I don't think people want to emphasise the team element of cycling any more than it already is. People want to see the battle between individuals - Coppi- Bartali, Anquetil-Poulidor, Armstrong-Ulrich. They want to see Wiggins the boy from a London council flat become the first British rider to win the Tour, not the extremely well funded and professional Team Sky crush the opposition.

Teams are there largely for practical reasons partly around the way the sport has developed historically. Yes the team element does add another layer of interest I'm not pretending it doesn't but the core attraction is man vs man or woman vs woman.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Mouth wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

You're correct, but how many titles did Paul Scholes win individually? None. How many did Manchester United win? Which name is on the trophy?

I'm not sure what we're disputing here? Plenty of team players have won SPOTY from cricket, rugby and football. Even Steve Redgrave had other people in the boat with him. I think it's clear that road racing is a team sport and Chris Froome happens to be the top rider in the top team. I am making an assumption here that the reason Dave Brailsford has built Sky around Froome is because in training he produces better numbers than his team mates. The domination of Team Sky drifts into a different debate about the power of money and vested interests in sport and I don't disagree that the racing would be more interesting if the riches were shared more equally but that's probably for another thread. The SPOTY throws up a few interesting questions. Do you have to have a personality to win it? Clearly not. Is snooker even a sport or just a parlour game? Is F1 sport or just glorified advertising for billionaires and multi national conglomerates? Why did Canadian Greg Rusedski win the award for being a loser in a fairly minor participation sport (in the UK at least) but Kenyan Chris Froome is overlooked despite being a four times winner of arguably the toughest endurance event on the planet at a time when road racing is absolutely huge in the UK?
  • kingstongraham
    Think of it as Sports Person of the Year if it helps.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Talk of a knighthood is ridiculously premature. What if he wins the TdF another 3 times? What then? Awards should be given on retirement.

A person can only be nominated for an Honour such as a knighthood for a field of work in which they are currently employed/active. Its an odd rule, but there you are. So if you are considering nominating a deserving person, get the papers in well before they retire.
  • pblakeney
    mrfpb wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

A person can only be nominated for an Honour such as a knighthood for a field of work in which they are currently employed/active. Its an odd rule, but there you are. So if you are considering nominating a deserving person, get the papers in well before they retire.
    Clearly a stupid rule.
    My question about if he won another 3 would highlight this.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Of course a cute sprog will always improve your SPoTY odds:

4369.jpg?w=1225&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=e88426bff25a011e1b5429f918737615
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    mrfpb wrote:
    Of course a cute sprog will always improve your SPoTY odds:

Only if you hold their birthday parties at Buck House on social media...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Well the Team award must, must go the the Women's cricket team. That was a great match on Sunday afternoon.

I agree but the irony is the England Women's football team,who should have won it 2015 , could easily win the Euro's, then what do you do ? And it could still be chucked at British Lions,Team Sky or Mercedes for Lewis Hamilton etc etc
  • pblakeney
    Does anyone really care?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mouth
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Does anyone really care?

TBH I don't really know many that do, in fact I couldn't really name any of the last 5 or 10 recipients. I could probably guess a few, purely on their profile - Murray, Hamilton, Wiggins, Hoy, Kenny? but don't ask me when any of them won it.

When I worked in fast food (general store manager, international chain of delivery outlets) the boss used to email us every year the week before SPOTY was on reminding us to take it into account when forecasting sales for stock orders etc and every year we got hammered. That was 10 years ago though. Nothing like the impact of X Factor or BGT etc though.