Upto £2000 possibly more to spend, Kona/Scott/Norco/Trek/GT

musclebeach
musclebeach Posts: 116
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
Well I've read lots of other posts and have taken my Cannondale Trail SL2 as far as I want and have the money to get a full sus possibly enduro setup bike now.

What's people's thoughts on the Kona Precept 130/150? Any owners?

Have seen a GT in yellow at £1800 but the forks are SR Suntour....and the jury's out on those for me.

The Scott Genius are very nice but the 2017 colour scheme isn't wowing me on the £2000 model.

It's exciting to be in this position but I just wish they did the Norco in a bright colour at the top end of my budget so it'd be wrapped in Fox and half decent drivetrain!!

Comments

• musclebeach
    What does airdrop edit mean? Is that a 27.5? :roll:
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Surely you know how to Google?

Or you could look at this, https://www.bird.bike/product/aeris-145 ... figuration
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • musclebeach
    Ahhhh i take it back it was just I've been biking for 12 years and have never heard of them. Looks like a nice bike though, also saw this Trek, trying to understand why there are still all options available when usually 2016 cheap models usually sell fast, wrapped in Fox too!! https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-fuel-e ... e-EV251300
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That Trek may have Fox suspension but to be honest, it's real bottom end Fox parts which are fairly nasty.
    The Bird suggested above is much better.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I recently bought a Cube MTB and lots of people I have talked to said they tend to carry good components for the price. I certainly like what I got, albeit second hand.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    That Trek may have Fox suspension but to be honest, it's real bottom end Fox parts which are fairly nasty.

It's not low end internals, it has the Fit4 damper for example, just not kashima coated which if I'm honest I can't tell any difference to my none kashima coated forks.

The shock has the EVOL upgrade too, so again just kashima coating difference to factory level.

Isn't it - Evolution > Performance > Factory in terms of the models.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    evol is just the air can not the damping, but its a trek re:activ shock.

I personally wouldn't buy the trek, geo too upright, crapy rear suspension and you are tied into the shock too.
  • musclebeach
    Great advice here thanks, that bird mentioned looks very nice!
    This weekend I rode a trail centre Scott Genius 750 and was surprised at how almost lazy the suspension seemed, it has the XFusion rear shock too....I've heard mixed things.
  • If your looking for enduro then this can't be beaten. It's friggen awesome.

http://www.mickeycranks.com/25052/produ ... 0wodUCwBlg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's what the ad says. Other opinions may differ.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    POAH wrote:
    evol is just the air can not the damping, but its a trek re:activ shock.

I personally wouldn't buy the trek, geo too upright, crapy rear suspension and you are tied into the shock too.

I never said EVOL was a damper, I said it was an upgrade I know what it is I have it on mine. I agree I probably wouldn't buy the Trek either but I was merely correcting the information given by RM (no surprise there) so as not to scare him off if he was thinking about it.

Each to their own and all that.
  • Briggo
    cooldad wrote:
    That's what the ad says. Other opinions may differ.

I don't own the bike in question so it must be rubbish, in true recommend what you ride fashion.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Huh?

I haven't recommended what I own, but I have ridden what he recommended.

It's OK, but hardly 'friggen awesome', and most certainly can be beaten.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Cube is ok but I didn't like the wallowey rear suspension or flexy back end. Very much a German trekking style bike rather than an endure bike. Designed for tough terrain but at a much slower pace.
  • musclebeach
    Yeah i've never been big on Cube's thought tbh even when i was looking at my first MTB.
    The Cube looks great spec-wise though and lots of trail centres use them but i'm going to look past them.....like a fool :lol:
  • The Cube is ok but I didn't like the wallowey rear suspension or flexy back end. Very much a German trekking style bike rather than an endure bike. Designed for tough terrain but at a much slower pace.

its probably my lack of experience but I don't feel that wallowey rear suspension or back end, seems pretty well balanced.

I'm sure theres better but for money, spec and imo ride quality I struggle to see the likes of trek, Norco etc competing. spend another grand and its a different matter.

again I'm sure this is all down to my inexperience.
  • poah

again I'm sure this is all down to me not being a riding god.

FTFY lol
  • POAH wrote:

again I'm sure this is all down to me not being a riding god.

FTFY lol

Where the fook did you get that from :roll: :lol:
  • musclebeach
    Anyone got any recommendations for the Devinci Troy? Just a bit gutted as I really want to get it from an LBS and have that after sales service. Unless anyone knows where they sell them in Yorkshire? Stif are pretty good but not going to be over there for a few weeks....!
  • musclebeach
    Got to admit i'm liking the look of this Precept 150 from this year...colors seem to vary slightly but reckon that's just filters!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kona+precept+150+2017&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj368S71OXSAhUEUhQKHYRSB9sQ_AUIBigB&biw=1339&bih=848#imgrc=ttooTAiBtsIh1M:

If not then the 2016 model looks good too, with Rockshox running the show up front too!
  • musclebeach
    Increased my budget now.....

Transition Scout 4
    YT Capra AL
    Airdrop Edit

Too much bl**dy choice!
  • musclebeach
    It's £2500 really but a Transition is £2800 so it can be higher for the right bike.
    Bearing in mind it took me a whole month looking before i bought even a sofa so you could say i don't rush into these things :roll:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Got to admit i'm liking the look of this Precept 150 from this year...colors seem to vary slightly but reckon that's just filters!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kona+precept+150+2017&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj368S71OXSAhUEUhQKHYRSB9sQ_AUIBigB&biw=1339&bih=848#imgrc=ttooTAiBtsIh1M:

If not then the 2016 model looks good too, with Rockshox running the show up front too!

Don't know about the Precept, but I've got a Process 134 and I absolutely love it. I've yet to ride anything I like as much and I've ridden many that cost more than twice as much.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • musclebeach
    I sat on one of those in Evans actually, was very nice....
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I sat on one of those in Evans actually, was very nice....

I'd describe it as really 'eager'. Compared to most other bikes I've ridden it feels like it really wants to go when you get to the interesting stuff. I love it, it's so much fun.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • poah
    It's £2500 really but a Transition is £2800 so it can be higher for the right bike.
    Bearing in mind it took me a whole month looking before i bought even a sofa so you could say i don't rush into these things :roll:

2.5K will get you the top spec bird 145
  • musclebeach
    Well it took a bit of time to get there but.......just ordered a Transition Scout today....picking up in two weeks.....can't wait! Fort William 2 weeks after with it too to watch the DH champs!!
  • musclebeach
    Just an update after having the bike two months, taking it off piste as well as to the alps, entered True Grit event up here in Yorkshire, and various other rides.
    Absolutely love it, just handles anything I throw at it, feels so agile and fun, rear shock doesn't lock out fully just goes a lot stiffer but that's fine for me as It still climbs very well. Even the KS dropper post hasn't missed a beat, it's a few upgrades on the cheapest KS Lev though, Fully recommend the Scout or the Patrol if you want a bit more travel rear end.
    Wheelbase did a free hope wheel upgrade when I bought the bike too and it runs really well on Hope Enduro rims and hubs and is lighter than my missus' Whyte T130SX even though hers is an extra small frame!