Sizing help

Joeblack
Joeblack Posts: 829
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

I hope you guys can help as I'm sure this is the best place to seek out some knowledgeable MTB'ers

Coming from the Road side of cycling fit and bike size is hugely important however I am assuming it isn't as important on a MTB. I'm sure that'll receive some flames

Anyways, Iv ordered a Hard Tail Santa Cruz today in size L after sending back a XL hard tail Cannondale because 1 - I didn't like the bike 2 - it felt too big 3 - it looked massive

I'm 6'2" but with a long ish torso and 34" inside leg.

So my question is how do people generally size their bikes? Santa Cruz say L = 5'10" - 6'1" and XL = 6'2" - 6'6"

Can I get away with a L or should I go up to the XL (which I'd rather avoid)

Here's the BR review of the bike for reference - http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... iew-51078/

Thanks in advance
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    It varies.
    There's obviously guides for frame sizes vs height.

However some people go a size down or up. Depending on how they feel.

Buying an XL from one manufacturer could be a xxL or just an L from another, it's a lottery if comparing brands. A bit like buy t-shirts.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sit on one, or better, ride one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I'm 6'2" but with a long ish torso and 34" inside leg.
    Same here
    So my question is how do people generally size their bikes? Santa Cruz say L = 5'10" - 6'1" and XL = 6'2" - 6'6"
    Tend to agree
    Can I get away with a L or should I go up to the XL
    Depends on your priorities. From about 2009 onwards I bought some small bikes because agility was a priority. After buying an XL in 2015 (which is a big old gate from any angle) agility has suffered a bit but stability, speed and climbing are loads better. From a road bike background you'll appreciate how much more efficient a roomy bike is.

I think if you're 6'2" you have to accept that those those perfectly-proportioned bikes in the ads are always going to be too small and buy something with a 48" wheelbase
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I had a SC Nickel ,i was between a medium and a large on their sizing charts,I'm 5'10" and bought a large and it felt fine,and was a great fit even with a 70mm stem in it,SC were never been renound for having a roomy cockpit,if it were me picking and I'm on the size change over I would go for the larger one ,bought a Transition Patrol in medium and after a couple of ride wish I had gone for a large
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829

I think if you're 6'2" you have to accept that those those perfectly-proportioned bikes in the ads are always going to be too small and buy something with a 48" wheelbase

Here's a man that understands my dilemma, as much as I hate to admit it I'm an aesthetic tart and don't like haw large bikes look!!

Thanks for all the advice though Iv ordered the xl
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling