Froome for Sports Personality of the Year

Comments

• rflook
    rflook Posts: 72
    rflook wrote:
    rflook wrote:
    He is a great role model in my eyes

Who else is a role model in your eyes, name say another 5 people who inspire?

Specifically sports? Craig Bellamy. Jesse Owens. Jessica Ennis Hill. Manny Pacquaio. Rafael Nadal

As a Welsh football fan absolutely made up to see Bellars on your list, but dismayed to see JEH on there who still has not issued an apology despite Ched being found innocent. Wonder if she will be back at Bramhall Lane now Ched is back there.

I guess we choose those who are inspirational for different reasons. Bellamy for his charity work. JEH for he efforts in promoting sport to girls
  • rflook wrote:
    Wiggins won it after the Armstrong issues so the sport being tainted didn't affect him.

Yeah, Wiggins definitely hasn't been involved in a high profile TUE scandal.
  • rflook
    rflook wrote:
    Wiggins won it after the Armstrong issues so the sport being tainted didn't affect him.

Fair point. Shame though as it is unfair for Froome to be tainted by Wiggins/Sky's poor judgement
  • rflook wrote:
    Shame though as it is unfair for Froome to be tainted by Wiggins/Sky's poor judgement

Agreed; FWIW I'm a fan of Froome's and given the previous SPOTY winners I think he's thoroughly deserving, but from the general public's POV he's someone who's never shown a human side 'working' for a team known for dodgy dealings in a sport rife with dodgy dealings. So I understand his low votes.

It's also interesting comparing him to Murray, who was IIRC quite a personality when he was younger and less media trained, but generally not well liked until he fell short a few times and then cried on TV. Maybe Froome just needs a few years to help him along...
  • rflook
    rflook wrote:
    Shame though as it is unfair for Froome to be tainted by Wiggins/Sky's poor judgement

Agreed; FWIW I'm a fan of Froome's and given the previous SPOTY winners I think he's thoroughly deserving, but from the general public's POV he's someone who's never shown a human side 'working' for a team known for dodgy dealings in a sport rife with dodgy dealings. So I understand his low votes.

It's also interesting comparing him to Murray, who was IIRC quite a personality when he was younger and less media trained, but generally not well liked until he fell short a few times and then cried on TV. Maybe Froome just needs a few years to help him along...

Or shag his brothers wife a la Giggs
  • rflook wrote:
    Or shag his brothers wife a la Giggs

Perhaps more controversial, but maybe worth a shot
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    rflook wrote:
    rflook wrote:

Fair point. Shame though as it is unfair for Froome to be tainted by Wiggins/Sky's poor judgement

You're new to this sport aren't you

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tue-pro ... ys-froome/
  • rflook
    rflook wrote:
    rflook wrote:

Firstly, please don't be so presumptuous as to assume how long I have been interested in cycling. You do not know me so cannot claim how many years of interest I have in the sport.

Secondly, while both stories relate to TUEs, they are different scenarios.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    mac9091 wrote:
    People don't like him...

as a personality comes across pretty bland, with not much interesting or controversial to say.

Yet some how Andy Murray has won it.

I was very surprised when he won it too and the second time.

Murray is pretty lack lustre but he has had a lot of emotion (tears at Wimbledon and lots of shouting and berating himself when not playing well), he has an in yer face mother who keeps the Murray (all 3) profile in the media and he has made several attempts to be made normal through TV programmes and interviews etc. He also has a team working in the background.

The only programme I saw about Froome didn't involve him much and concentrated on his friends/school.colleagues etc.

At the end of the day if Froome wants SPOTY he has to raise his profile somehow.

If I were him I wouldn't give a toss and would just get on with what I wanted to do. However if he wants a life in the sport after competing then creating a media persona is probably a good idea.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    On balance, I'd keep a low profile and do without the BBC Award.

Cyclists who raised their heads above the surface trying to become someone ended up with more to lose than to gain... those who didn't got away with a lot... inevitable to compare Armstrong and Pantani with say Indurain and Valverde.. I know which one of them I'd rather be

If you want to go back in time Anquetil and Coppi Vs Poulidor and Bartali
    left the forum March 2023
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    On paper he does, but I think the way Sky & Brailsford have performed in public over the last year has put a lot of people off them. I find it increasingly hard to get behind Team Sky, particularly given how open and entertaining some of the other teams, particularly Orica, are behind the scenes. Sky avoided press conferences, Brailsford lost his rag a few times and they still haven't given a decent explanation of the jiffy bag nor justified the lies and denials that followed it. So hard to trust or believe in Froome when they are as shady as they are at the moment.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    There seems to be a lot of bollcoks being spouted on this thread.

It's an immense achievement to win the tour, to do so four times is a staggering achievement. He's a British passport holder from birth, he's clean, he's published his blood work and given the critism due to his teams behaviours he's come through everything and stuck two fingers up to his critics. His cycling has done the talking, quietly but with the weight of achievement.

He's stated after the Tour win his aim was to win this years tour and the Vuelta so I doubt some celebutard award will be a distraction or even a consideration
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Slowmart wrote:
    There seems to be a lot of bollcoks being spouted on this thread.

It's an immense achievement to win the tour, to do so four times is a staggering achievement. He's a British passport holder from birth, he's clean, he's published his blood work and given the critism due to his teams behaviours he's come through everything and stuck two fingers up to his critics. His cycling has done the talking, quietly but with the weight of achievement.

He's stated after the Tour win his aim was to win this years tour and the Vuelta so I doubt some celebutard award will be a distraction or even a consideration

Pretty much agree with this. Don't think he'll lose much sleep over missing out on this meaningless bauble, previous winners of which include Princess Anne, Zara Phillips and Steve Davis. There are plenty of winners and short listers who have just as tenuous claims to Britishness or had zero personality and far lesser sporting credentials.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    rflook wrote:
    rflook wrote:
    rflook wrote:

Firstly, please don't be so presumptuous as to assume how long I have been interested in cycling. You do not know me so cannot claim how many years of interest I have in the sport.

Secondly, while both stories relate to TUEs, they are different scenarios.

No they're not. They're really not at all.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    rflook wrote:
    rflook wrote:

Specifically sports? Craig Bellamy. Jesse Owens. Jessica Ennis Hill. Manny Pacquaio. Rafael Nadal

Craig Bellamy!

That is fuck1ng hilarious. Lee Bowyer as well, eh?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rflook wrote:
    rflook wrote:

Craig Bellamy!

You obviously don't know Craig well.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,214
    He's not the most charismatic guy is he?

He doesn't really stir the soul.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123

I think Riise would argue with that. Motivational techniques on team building trips a speciality.
  • shortfall

Yes, unlike Princess Anne and Steve Davis. Err......hang on.
  • rick_chasey
    Shortfall wrote:

I don't just mean off the bike; on the bike too.
  • shortfall
    Shortfall wrote:

I don't just mean off the bike; on the bike too.

Well I know what you mean. He doesn't excite in the way Mark Cavendish does say, but then Steve "Interesting" Davis was one of the most boring snooker players ever on and off the beize (amongst some pretty stiff competition) and "personality free" Damon Hill was a fairly average F1 driver who was lucky to be in a great car and a great team which flattered his talents. Whether or not Chris Froome is British enough, or has a personality or not, he surely ranks as an all time great cyclist. I mean even Greg Rusedski won it one year and for what?

ETA
    Damon Hill probably won for being the nice guy to the cheating Schumacher.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rflook wrote:
    rflook wrote:

Craig Bellamy!

That's a hell of a list. He'll play the "does a lot of work for charity" card for Bellamy, but then so do many, many other rich footballers and they're not ****s. Jesse Owens is a good one. JE-H for what, exactly? Manny Pacquaio, yet another one that uses religion as a mask for his prejudices and Rafa Nadal of the questionable injuries and comebacks (all nicely timed to suit the worst drug testing regime in professional sport).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Adam Peaty retains gold in 100m breaststroke at the worlds.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/swimming/40708360
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I like Froome, he's a decent family bloke, seems like a nice guy, what's wrong with that? The only thing I don't like as with other top sports people is that they feck off to Monaco or similar. Give it to someone who lives here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    FocusZing wrote:
    I like Froome, he's a decent family bloke, seems like a nice guy, what's wrong with that? The only thing I don't like as with other top sports people is that they feck off to Monaco or similar. Give it to someone who live here.

Be fair, it's not like he's fecked off to Monaco to escape Britain though.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Jermaine Defoe is at 5/1 odds according to Paddy Power :? I know he did alot for that Bradley Lowery, but I thought the award was still based on sporting achievements in the year. Froomey is 12/1, Anthony Joshua is the favourite at 4/9.

and good shout at 4th for Laura Muir 14/1, if she has a very good world championships, given the blanket BBC coverage of schools sports day, sorry athletics :wink: , it will be between her and Mo I reckon.

bizarre isnt it though, a England male cricketer in a world cup final at Lords, that England actually won, with a set of bowling figures of 6-46, and theyd be a dead cert winner normally, yet Anya Shrubshole will probably be lucky to even make the shortlist as I reckon theyll pick Heather Knight as captain instead as the womens cricket team representative, at least team of the year should be nailed on, albeit if the football team win the Euros.

I think Froomey is like Lizzie Deignan though in that they arent well known outside of cycling and deliberately eschew most of the kind of publicity that would get them more noticed. Cav, Wiggo, Vicky P (her latest thing is jousting as an Olympic sport), the Kenny-Trotts...well Laura at least are as much front page, or colour supplement articles that seep into peoples consciousness as they are hidden away in the backpages. . Youll not see him on Question of Sport, or appearing at the next summer blockbuster film premier, or in advert for a bank, or even revolutionary cookers.
  • rick_chasey
    That's because he's so duuuuull.

Saw an article the other day "watching Froome this Tour as like watching an accountant".

Exactly.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    SPOTY isn't a prize for supporting success it's a s
    beauty pageant of sports people for the reality tv generation. If you're not on tv or in the tabloids a lot you'll not get it solely on your exceptional sporting success.

IMHO it's a total irrelevance and should be scrapped or replaced with something that doesn't involve the general public. The replacement should use people with wide knowledge of various sports to come up with a long list that gets whittled down to a winner. Perhaps sports writers decide, a small group of respected sports observers. Make it purely about the sporting performance without any aspect of public familiarity or popularity to win. Just my view.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Well the Team award must, must go the the Women's cricket team. That was a great match on Sunday afternoon.
    Federer for the overseas award.
    If Froome is able to win another TdF in next 2 to 3 years then I think it would be fitting for him to win Spoty. Not that he doesn't deserve it now.
    This year's winner I hope comes from Athletes or ParaAthletics.... with the world champs being held in London. Hannah Cockroft''s triple gold must put her in the running. As does Richard Whiteheads gold in 200 metres. Both very inspirational athletes.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    He might not be bothered about SPOTY or a Knighthood but I bet Michelle is, she's always come across in a pushy parent (spouse) way. His results are deserving of both even though I don't like him much and I think the Knighthood will come at some point but he needs Olympic medals to win SPOTY.