New to the Tour de France/Cycling? Click here

14567810»

Comments

• Apologies if asked elsewhere, but nothing comes up when I search. What happens if Landa takes 1 sec off Bardet today? Do they tie, or sort it out on average placing or something?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Hi Jon.

It won't happen. There was a discussion about this in the spoiler thread for yesterday's stage.

It won't happen, but if there were gaps today, as it is classed as a flat stage, gaps would need to be 3secs or over to count, so there can't be a tie. I'm not sure about that intermediate sprint though, I don't think there are bonus seconds on offer for that.

But it won't happen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Apologies if asked elsewhere, but nothing comes up when I search. What happens if Landa takes 1 sec off Bardet today? Do they tie, or sort it out on average placing or something?
    As Ron says above, he can't take just one second.

However, let's say they did end up on the same time after yesterday. Then the go back to the exact timings of the time trials (down to a thousandth of a second)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Thanks all. I realise it won't happen, but had looked at the time bonuses on the Champs Elysees and created a theoretical scenario gaining Landa 1 sec - but totally ignored the order of finishing so on review it wouldn't work! Amazing that thousandths of a sec are potentially crucial in a three week competition.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    I have a question I don't know if it has been answered: Why did Henao have a white framed bike and the others on Sky had the usual black bikes?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    I have a question I don't know if it has been answered: Why did Henao have a white framed bike and the others on Sky had the usual black bikes?

To match his Colombian champs jersey I suspect.

This would have made more sense when Sky wore black kit.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Some pundit I heard said they don't attack the yellow jersey on the final stage. Is it true and why not?

I'm thinking of IIRC fignon coming in seconds behind IIRC lemond in Paris. I think the yellow jersey was attacked then but was it a TT which is a bit different perhaps?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Some pundit I heard said they don't attack the yellow jersey on the final stage. Is it true and why not?
    Mainly because due to all the sprinter's teams wanting the stage the chances of success are virtually nil
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Henao's bike isn't just white. It also has the national champ colours instead of the blue line theme of Sky as the stripes in the paintwork and info on the national championship race 2017 on the top tube.
    20156021_1371804462887654_7121665479543528099_n.jpg?oh=419f08156c2ac4c0ed1719aba4e3e61a&oe=5A102651
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I'm thinking of IIRC fignon coming in seconds behind IIRC lemond in Paris. I think the yellow jersey was attacked then but was it a TT which is a bit different perhaps?
    TT totally different. How can you have a TT where you don't attack the yellow? Especially as the yellow is the last rider off the block so how would they know how fast to ride so as not to jeopardise the yellow jersey?
  • bobmcstuff wrote:

TT totally different. How can you have a TT where you don't attack the yellow? Especially as the yellow is the last rider off the block so how would they know how fast to ride so as not to jeopardise the yellow jersey?

Part of me now wishes this was a thing.

It wasn't the final stage, but how extra-legendary would that Rasmussen TT have been had it meant that literally every other rider within ten minutes was having to repeatedly hurl themselves into ditches to avoid "attacking" the maillot jaune?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,199
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Part of me now wishes this was a thing.

It wasn't the final stage, but how extra-legendary would that Rasmussen TT have been had it meant that literally every other rider within ten minutes was having to repeatedly hurl themselves into ditches to avoid "attacking" the maillot jaune?

Oh God, I've only just caught up with this. Drink just came out of my nose.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Last years Giro ended with a TT. It was a great finish to the race, and Carapaz looked absolutely wasted at the finish. But the Champs Elysees sprint is too much of a tradition to change now.
  • Not new to the TdF but it almost feels like I am this year. When it kicked off at the weekend I had to convince myself that it wasn't the start of la Vuelta. Bit of a nip in the air, offspring returning to school/college, leaves beginning to change colour. Senses say Vuelta, brain saying "Tour?" with a lot of uncertainty.

Not helped by having no idea about rebrands of teams, transfers, kit changes. Of course I read the transfer and kit threads, but it takes the first few races of the year to really cement them into memory. Didn't really happen this year so currently scratching my head from time to time. Is that blue team advertising Bed & Breakfast?

Also seems a bit strange not really having a British contender for overall (unless Yates is bluffing). Almost at the stage of 'let's get behind Max Sciandri because he has a connection to Derby'.

TL:DR this Tour seems a bit strange
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586

Weather aside, this Tour is fairly normal.
    The past 10 years has been the anomaly for Brits.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Team is B&B Hotels - Vital Concept.

B&B hotels is a budget hotel chain across Europe which started in Brittany.

I quite the like the kit. Though not sure the "only for everyone" slogan on their backsides really works...
  • pblakeney said:

Weather aside, this Tour is fairly normal.
    The past 10 years has been the anomaly for Brits.

The weather isn't that odd - it's forecast to be 32 degrees at the finish on Friday. Sometimes it rains.

What is odd is the masks being worn everywhere except when riding, and the chance that it might have the plug pulled.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    The weather was a bit unusual for Nice. Everyone literally said so.
    Aside from that stage everything is going as per normal with expected people in expected places. Even that stage had the expected finish.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.