First 20 mile ride

Darklord1266
Darklord1266 Posts: 4
edited July 2017 in Road beginners
I just completed my first 20 mile ride, to tell you the truth I was fine. I think I could have done more. 20.2 miles in 1hr, 47 min.
I started four weeks ago and could just finish 5 miles.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That's the good thing about cycling. You can progress in distance quite quickly. Enjoy.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Well done darklord, hopefully 40miles by the end of July, enjoy
  • Stupot07
    Stupot07 Posts: 19
    Well done, i've only been cycling that long too, but due to a holiday and kids commitments i've not managed to get out as much as i'd like. Did do 14 miles last Sunday and like you i could have easily kept on going for longer, but i'd promised to be home to help bath the kids.

I'm absolutely loving it! :D
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Well done. It's always really great to see people getting such pleasure from riding a bike.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • GedFoss
    GedFoss Posts: 18
    That's fantastic, well done!
    I've been out of the saddle 5 years, just looking to get back into cycling myself, so I'm looking forward to managing even 5 miles!
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    CHAPEAU
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    When i started to ride my wife was very skeptical, 2 years later she is saying that you ride but you are making my life better too. If you are happy everybody on the house is happy. Now is way of living. Recently my kids (8.5 & 5.5) learned how to ride so we do family rides too. Great for all of us.

Well done man and keep it up.
  • grant2307
    grant2307 Posts: 135
    When I first got my bike I found it tough doing 3 miles, I've done a 25 mile ride which I felt fine at the end although the hills were a lot harder than I face on a daily basis.

Doing a 54 mile ride next weekend and I feel pretty confident for it.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Great work. I've been riding my road bike a couple of years now and still haven't got much past 30 miles yet. Must really try to push a bit harder. It can be a bit depressing when looking at some of the Strava results near me, you'd think the Tour had been coming through. But then I go back and compare how I was doing this time last year and realise I've made progress. And that's good enough for me.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    mac man wrote:
    But then I go back and compare how I was doing this time last year and realise I've made progress. And that's good enough for me.
    This is all that matters to myself. I sometimes ride with a friend who blows me away up hills. I've stopped comparing against him as it's just no relevant! If I'm out and riding then that's all that really matters :)
  • Congratulations! Best advice I can give you is join a club your distances will get longer & you stamina will improve much quicker in a group than riding solo!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Tashman wrote:
    mac man wrote:
    But then I go back and compare how I was doing this time last year and realise I've made progress. And that's good enough for me.
    This is all that matters to myself. I sometimes ride with a friend who blows me away up hills. I've stopped comparing against him as it's just no relevant! If I'm out and riding then that's all that really matters :)
    It isn't easy but try not to fret about it. We're all different and, while you can get satisfaction from improving your fitness, no matter good you are there will always be someone faster.

Thankfully there is far more to cycling than watts and speed.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Pots38
    Pots38 Posts: 5
    Tashman wrote:
    mac man wrote:

As a new cyclist, don't compare yourself to others especially on hill climbs. Everyone has a speed and rhythm in which they climb! You'll naturally get faster with time. Keep up the good work!
  • witstu
    witstu Posts: 17
    You always think cycling never gets easier, but if you were to go out at the pace of your first ever ride you would then realise how you have progressed. And would probably not even break sweat!
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Happy days. All got to start somewhere.

As said it won't get easier, you'll find you just go for longer or go faster.