Froome for Sports Personality of the Year

rflook
rflook Posts: 72
edited July 2017 in The cake stop
Just been listening to BBC Radio 5 and reading an article on the BBC website about how Froome is an underappreciated great sportsman.

When you think of it, he has eclipsed so many of his contemporaries in the sport while being a well respected, genuine, nice guy. It is a travesty that last time round he wasn't even nominated for sports personality of the year.

I'd love to see him at least be nominated this time round so maybe the cycling community can get things rolling. Perhaps a Twitter campaign might be a good start? Love to hear what other people think.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,169
    People don't like him...

There is no drama to his wins... as a personality comes across pretty bland, with not much interesting or controversial to say. He doesn't have a busy schedule of TV apperances, so people know little of him and that little doesn't seem particularly exciting. He doesn't get invited to talk to Graham Norton or the One Show... you have to ask yourself why...
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    edited July 2017
    Or he can't be arsed and is happy for his cycling to say what needs to be said.

Just because he hasn't jumped on the commercial bandwagon and whored himself out to he highest bidder sits well with me.

Arguably it's another indicator that our society is more interested in perceptions rather than actual achievements. Froome is a perfect example. I think we like to celebrate underachievers, premier league tossers anyone
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • rflook
    People don't like him...

There is no drama to his wins... as a personality comes across pretty bland, with not much interesting or controversial to say. He doesn't have a busy schedule of TV apperances, so people know little of him and that little doesn't seem particularly exciting. He doesn't get invited to talk to Graham Norton or the One Show... you have to ask yourself why...

I see your point but have to ask, why do you have to be controversial? Surely we should appreciate him for the great sportsman that he is and the nice guys that he is? Perhaps he doesn't have a busy media schedule because he prefers to focus on being a superb all round cyclist and not self promotion?
  • rflook
    Slowmart wrote:
    Or he can't be arsed and is happy for his cycling to say what needs to be said.

Just because he hasn't jumped on the commercial bandwagon and whored himself out to he highest bidder sits well with me.

Agreed. He is a cyclist who works damn hard to stay at the top of his game. Surely he should be lauded for that. He is a great role model in my eyes
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Should this be on this forum? Can this be moved to the Cafe Stop or Pro-Race please?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I agree he deserves it as well as Knighthood if Wiggins got one on the back of his achievements in cycling, but he won't get it I feel. Cycling is too much of a minority or background sport compared to football, golf, tennis etc. Defoe has done very little sports wise to write home about, but I bet he gets nominated on the back of his admirable support for young Bradley Lowery. I also think Anthony Joshua will be high up there.

I completely disagree with Ugo (not for the first time and doubtfully the last) re Froome's personality. Not everyone loves an obnoxious, arrogant egotist. Some of us prefer the grey man who lets their actions do the talking and treats others with a bit of respect.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ugo.santalucia
    philthy3 wrote:
    I agree he deserves it as well as Knighthood if Wiggins got one on the back of his achievements in cycling, but he won't get it I feel. Cycling is too much of a minority or background sport compared to football, golf, tennis etc. Defoe has done very little sports wise to write home about, but I bet he gets nominated on the back of his admirable support for young Bradley Lowery. I also think Anthony Joshua will be high up there.

I completely disagree with Ugo (not for the first time and doubtfully the last) re Froome's personality. Not everyone loves an obnoxious, arrogant egotist. Some of us prefer the grey man who lets their actions do the talking and treats others with a bit of respect.

You can't disagree... it's a fact... he's always made the BBC shortlist based on merit and never got anywhere near the top in the public vote, because people don't like him.

Possibly he doesn't care and that is great of him, but since the topic asks why Froome never gets the prize... there is your answer.
    That said, this year nobody has achieved very much... I doubt Murray will make the shortlist... no Olympians, Athletic worlds are not a big deal... although Moh Farah...footballers have been useless like usual... unless a golfer or Mark Selby pip him. He might have a chance to make the podium based on lack of alternatives... :wink:
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    The fact he's kenyan born, South African educated, and never lived in this country may play a part too? People from minority sports have a chance of winning but most likely their personality has to transcend their given sport. Froome comes across like a bit of a robot in my opinion.

He lives in a tax heaven and most likely took advantage of his British heritage to gain better funding and sponsorship potential. Not a crime, but not exactly a vote winner is it...
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    TurboTommy wrote:
    The fact he's kenyan born, South African educated, and never lived in this country may play a part too? People from minority sports have a chance of winning but most likely their personality has to transcend their given sport. Froome comes across like a bit of a robot in my opinion.

He lives in a tax heaven and most likely took advantage of his British heritage to gain better funding and sponsorship potential. Not a crime, but not exactly a vote winner is it...

To be fair to him, he's had a British passport his entire life.

A combination of him being dull and road cycling not being a particularly popular spectator sport in the UK will limit his chances. If Hamilton wins the world championship again, I think Froome will struggle which is probably a shame.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rflook wrote:
    He is a great role model in my eyes

Who else is a role model in your eyes, name say another 5 people who inspire?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rflook
    rflook wrote:

Specifically sports? Craig Bellamy. Jesse Owens. Jessica Ennis Hill. Manny Pacquaio. Rafael Nadal
  • rflook
    TurboTommy wrote:

I don't think that is as big an issue as you think it might be. Wiggins was born is Belgium to an Australian father. Hamilton lives in Monaco. Similar beloved sports stars were not born in the UK or didn't live in the UK
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    People don't like him...

as a personality comes across pretty bland, with not much interesting or controversial to say.

Yet some how Andy Murray has won it.
  • rflook
    mac9091 wrote:
    People don't like him...

as a personality comes across pretty bland, with not much interesting or controversial to say.

My thoughts exactly. And not just once. Three times now I think
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    He doesn't get invited to talk to Graham Norton or the One Show...

Now that's something to aspire to :roll: :roll: :roll:
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    I would expect Anthony Joshua is an overwhelming favourite this year. Farah and Hamilton are likely to be competing for the podium places if they win their respective world champs.

Froome definitely deserves to be up there though. Maybe by voting time he'll also have a Vuelta win on his palmares.
  • rflook
    MrB123 wrote:
    I would expect Anthony Joshua is an overwhelming favourite this year. Farah and Hamilton are likely to be competing for the podium places if they win their respective world champs.

Froome definitely deserves to be up there though. Maybe by voting time he'll also have a Vuelta win on his palmares.

I expect another second place finish! It appears to the natural order. Anyway back to my original point. Perhaps a social media campaign pushing for Froome might help? Get a hashtag trending?
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    rflook wrote:
    TurboTommy wrote:

I don't think that is as big an issue as you think it might be. Wiggins was born is Belgium to an Australian father. Hamilton lives in Monaco. Similar beloved sports stars were not born in the UK or didn't live in the UK

I'm not trying to debate what makes someone British. I'm just suggesting that someone who has spent zero time living in this country is unlikely to be considered British by lots of the voting public. I don't think the wiggins comparison is at all similar for obvious reasons.

I'm also not sure Hamilton holds the position you think he does... Personally I'd say he devides opinion. But he still ticks lots of boxes Froome doesn't. Can you name any other sportsman who has never lived in this country and won sports personality of the year?
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • ugo.santalucia
    rflook wrote:
    mac9091 wrote:
    People don't like him...

My thoughts exactly. And not just once. Three times now I think

There is the all Murray family story... and there is Wimbledon... which is a bigger thing than the Tour de France in this country. I also agree with the public that winning Wimbledon is harder than winning the Tour de France, these days. Maybe in the past it was the opposite, but these days the competition at the top of ATP is savage... whereas Sky is pretty much unrivaled... Landa very nearly made the podium... a former world champion and class act like Kwia playing domestique on the climbs... c'mon... compare that with the "might" of Ag2R, packed with riders you've never heard of. I don't think the public is so stupid
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why does there even need to be a shortlist? 8)
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    rflook wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

I expect another second place finish! It appears to the natural order. Anyway back to my original point. Perhaps a social media campaign pushing for Froome might help? Get a hashtag trending?

why does it bother you so much? its just a fashion parade, jeez some w(h)inners dont even bother to turn up.

you need to understand that cycling is tainted, most people associate the sport with doping and/or a bunch of Mamils who ve slowed them down! also as said Froome is hardly considered British and that matters in a post brexit UK.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Is this British enough?
    Captain of England, blooded and every inch a fighter

5ad8a9ca53e947defb77b3cea1e7842f.jpg

Oh Butcher was born in Singapore. :wink:

I don't get "no one likes him" argument, he's a grey man and interested in the madness of TV, publicity or launching his own clothing or bike brand.

It's more that Froome is low profile and unless you're a cyclist most people would pass him in the street without knowing who he is and what a world class cyclist just walked past. Now that's cool.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Froome/Wiggins comparison is interesting. In some ways they made their names in.different sports. Froome is completely about multi-stage grand tour cycling event. Wiggins is a stadium and tv friendly track history. Even the worlds get shown on BBC on the track. You.factor in the international goldfish bowl of the Olympics and you get a huge public awareness. Ppl get to see him perform on the track then almost straight after an interview. He isn't managed by the likes of Brailsford restricting press access and even telling reporters to eff off!

Then considering the Olympics 5 golds and 8 medals in total, world track 12 medals, world road 1 gold plus 3 others, etc. The 5 Olympic gold medals alone got him more public recognition than Froome even if he got 5 tour GCs. Add in the fact he has, arguably, a personality. If Froome has a personality I've yet to see it.

The BBC sports award isn't about success, it's about personality with success. I would not be surprised if more ppl would have voted for desert orchid (race horse from many years ago) as having a better personality than Froome if they'd been around at the same time. On pure success grounds in their sport Froome could be considered on the list but that's not enough for this award.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Froome doesn't have a personality so hence he can't win.

If he was on a menu he'd be Weak Cabbage Soup.

The thing is, he's just bland. People may not understand how Murray can win but not Froome, but whereas Froome is bland, Murray is miserable and miserable actually at least makes for something of a personality.

To win you need a crossover of voters, not just fans of the sport to win. Once you're down to votes only coming from cycling fans, and then only coming from the ones who don't mind bland boring people, you won't amass enough votes. If you collected all the details of people voting for Froome you could sell that database of contacts to dating websites so that they could improve their service by not sending anyone on a date with any of these people.

Ironically, he can be exciting to watch, but that can be said of most top sportspeople so it's not really saying much either.

Christopher Froome - Sports Personality of the Year 2017, naa, it would be a joke.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Ryan Bland Biggs won it one year so I don't think having a personality is a pre requisite for winning.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Slowmart wrote:
    Is this British enough?
    Captain of England, blooded and every inch a fighter

Oh Butcher was born in Singapore. :wink:

i think you ll find Butcher spent almost of his childhood in Suffolk, not Nairobi :lol: but if it were only my opinion, then yes it would nt matter but its also the publics perception too.

from a news article in 2015 after his second win.

"....... He is just not very British, is he? The British public knows it, he knows it, his team know it."
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    rflook wrote:
    rflook wrote:

Specifically sports? Craig Bellamy. Jesse Owens. Jessica Ennis Hill. Manny Pacquaio. Rafael Nadal

Pacquaio? Uhhh... okay.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rflook
    Grill wrote:
    rflook wrote:
    rflook wrote:

Pacquaio? Uhhh... okay.

Personal opinion based on the tough childhood he had and his desire to keep improving himself and not resting on his laurels
  • rflook
    mamba80 wrote:
    rflook wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

why does it bother you so much? its just a fashion parade, jeez some w(h)inners dont even bother to turn up.

you need to understand that cycling is tainted, most people associate the sport with doping and/or a bunch of Mamils who ve slowed them down! also as said Froome is hardly considered British and that matters in a post brexit UK.

You say cycling is tainted. Is that due to the Armstrong affair? Wiggins won it after the Armstrong issues so the sport being tainted didn't affect him.

And why does it bother me. I think bother is the wrong word. I guess I am just disappointed that some characters who are actually pretty poor role models get public 'adoration' and those who are great role models don't.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    rflook wrote:
    rflook wrote:

As a Welsh football fan absolutely made up to see Bellars on your list, but dismayed to see JEH on there who still has not issued an apology despite Ched being found innocent. Wonder if she will be back at Bramhall Lane now Ched is back there.