TDF 2017: 23rd July - Montgeron / Paris Champs-Élysées - 103Kms *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited July 2017 in Pro race
Paris and the Tour finally en fête.

480662-le-feu-d-artifice-2017-en-direct-et-en-r-622x600-1.jpg

Last opportunity for the Sprinters.

There's one last stage remaining. It's probably the most prestigious with the Arc de Triomphe as a backdrop and the Champs-Elysées to welcome the 167 finishers of the Tour de France, eight less than last year. This year's Parisian finale with Chris Froome in the yellow jersey for the fourth time after 2013, 2015 and 2016 includes the promotion of the French bid for the 2014 Olympic Games. Therefore, the peloton will ride through the Grand Palais, the venue set to host fencing and taekwondo....

DIR_IMG.jpg

tourdefrancereuters-m.png

Map:-
CARTE.jpg

Profile:-
PROFIL.png

The IS and last, last Kms:-
PROFILSPRINT.png
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I think Paris deserves the 2014 Olympics, I hear their bid is uncontested though.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I just looked up 'Astana Motors'.

Its the Hyundai dealership on the bypass.
    Half man, Half bike
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Good luck for the 2014 Olympic Games, France. I'm rooting for you.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Thanks to Blazing (+ atc) for the threadstarters and the many contributors throughout the tour.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Note the champagne doesn't start until 16:40 local time and finale after 19:00

Unfortunately it's peeing rain here all day so I don't fancy going out for a ride
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Anyone but Bouhanni, anyone but Bouhanni, anyone but Bouhanni, anyone but Bouhanni, anyone but Bouhanni, anyone but Bouhanni, anyone but Bouhanni, anyone but Bouhanni, anyone but Bouhanni, anyone but Bouhanni, anyone but Bouhanni, anyone but Bouhanni, anyone but Bouhanni, etc (I think you get the idea)
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Bouhanni, please.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    When you see Little Tommy Voeckler lead the peloton down the Champs-Elysées for the first time, take a little time out to look out for Haimar Zubeldia as it's also his last Tour.

Shame he never got to wear the Maillot Jaune during his illustrious pro career, but just for the record here's an artists impression ...

Invisible-Cyclist--124712.jpg
  • yourpaceormine
    Interestingly Sky are changing their blue stripe for yellow, and one of their lines on the front is going yellow too (still the white jersey version). Isn't this a kit change? Thought they were only allowed one change a year.

Plus, bitd ONCE changed into a pink kit for the Tour so as not to be confused with the yellow jumper: isn't it about time that this convention returned? (Sorry that sounds like a letter to the Daily Heil.) Too many white jerseys and Cannondale looked rather like the points jumper on heli shots
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Can Landa still take 2 seconds of Bardet to clinch 3rd? I know today's stage isn't supposed to be competitive but 1 or 2 seconds is do-able
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    PTP still all to play for at the top:
    User			Points	GC Pick
    Key				152		Porte
    Omar Little	141		Froome
    dish_dash		139		Froome
    Cruff			  135		Froome
    iNsaNe_oNERR	134		Froome
    RichN95			133		Porte
    rozzer32			128		Froome
    RonB				128		Porte
    Salsiccia1		128		Froome
    SpeedingSloth	127		Porte

How do you make tables on this stupid thing?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ben@31 wrote:
    I know today's stage isn't supposed to be competitive but 1 or 2 seconds is do-able

No. It's a flat stage so it's three seconds plus or nothing. Or 4, 6 or 10 I guess buts that's not for happening.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RonB
    Chris Froome & Simon Yates' rides for today

DFaJGfXXsAUVZXo.jpg:small

DFaz1lMXUAAiHe0.jpg:large

Didn't realise just how asymmetric those chainrings were :shock: Quite a bit more than the old Biopace ones on MTBs of the early 90's.
  • yourpaceormine
    RonB wrote:
    Chris Froome & Simon Yates' rides for today

DFaJGfXXsAUVZXo.jpg:small

DFaz1lMXUAAiHe0.jpg:large

Didn't realise just how asymmetric those chainrings were :shock: Quite a bit more than the old Biopace ones on MTBs of the early 90's.

Don't envy the Team Sky spanners setting up front mechs and cutting chains. Bet they were a beast to setup first time around. I imagine Froome isn't top of their Christmas card list when he wants to change his gear ratios.
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    +1 Thanks to Blazing & ATC for the intro's for the stages and to M. Carpet for the contributions to the L R thread.
    I don't post much as you all say what I wish to say before I can say it but I have enjoyed this edition. A different Tour but worth watching throughout.
    'fool'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Meaningless fact of the day. Three of the top four on GC went to university (although only Bardet graduated).

This used to be a sport for uneducated farm boys.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    ben@31 wrote:
    Can Landa still take 2 seconds of Bardet to clinch 3rd? I know today's stage isn't supposed to be competitive but 1 or 2 seconds is do-able

and knock a French rider off the podium... no, I think its safe to assume that wont be happening
  • RichN95.
    awavey wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

and knock a French rider off the podium... no, I think its safe to assume that wont be happening
    The only way Landa can get a few seconds back is if there are some gaps in the peloton. So all Sky have to do is make sure Landa finishes just behind the sprinters. If Bardet then gets on the wrong side of a gap that's his own fault. Landa can't gain the seconds, Bardet can only lose them.
  • awavey wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

But oh my, just imagine the reaction if he did :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,230
    Kom op Dylan
  • Don't envy the Team Sky spanners setting up front mechs and cutting chains. Bet they were a beast to setup first time around. I imagine Froome isn't top of their Christmas card list when he wants to change his gear ratios.
    What is the supposed (actual?) advantage of them?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,230
    ben@31 wrote:

No
  • RichN95.
    I imagine Froome isn't top of their Christmas card list when he wants to change his gear ratios.
    I imagine he is when they get their cut of the prize money though. The Bahrain mechanics can't even buy a Freddo with their cut.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,599
    Another (not very) interesting fact - This will be the 7th closest finish between 1st and 2nd in history
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    With reference to the comments made by the French guy on the stage 20 cycling podcast.

Would Nibali and Dumolin look at the results of the Tour, the course and how it all played out and regret picking the Giro over the Tour.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    ben@31 wrote:

No

He can but he will choose not too.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • RichN95.
    With reference to the comments made by the French guy on the stage 20 cycling podcast.

Would Nibali and Dumolin look at the results of the Tour, the course and how it all played out and regret picking the Giro over the Tour.
    Maybe Nibali, but certainly not Dumoulin. I think Nibali may have found himself keeping Contador company though.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    :D:D:D I guess Sky wont be doing their team line out across the road at the back of the peloton crossing the finish line... or maybe they will, sans Landa
    www.dotcycling.com
  • RonB
    edited July 2017
    Black shorts for Bling, keeping it classy :D

I would just like to take the opportunity to thank Blazing and ATC for the tremendous previews for each of the spoiler threads for this years Tour. Often more fun than the stages themselves; it's great work folks :D
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Yous all are very kind with the thanks for the thread starters but Blazing really did the lion's share of the work.

I just had fun going through muppet photos and old holiday snaps. :D
    Correlation is not causation.