Holes in tyre

Vital Spark
Vital Spark Posts: 11
edited July 2017 in Road general
Out on a century rude last weekend had 2 punctures plus a 'holed' tyre i.e. where a couple of shreds of glass or the like ripped 2 small sections of the tyre making any tube repairs vulnerable. Bought a roll of gaffer tape and repaired the inside of the tyre with a strip about 1cm wide all the way round which held no probs. So good in fact that seems like a good puncture resistance plan to adopt!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If it's a rip I'd be replacing the tyre ? Might work as a stop gap to get home but not a sensible long term plan.
  • Yeah for sure but considering doing this anyway for epic rides I.e. inside on a new tyre for additional puncture resistance or naff idea?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If something's got through the tyre it's going to get through a bit of tape.
  • Yeah for sure but considering doing this anyway for epic rides

Whats an epic ride?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    I did repair a tyre with a few layers of gaffer tape and it held up fine, but I doubt it is a good puncture protection layer
    left the forum March 2023
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Yeah for sure but considering doing this anyway for epic rides

Whats an epic ride?

Dunno but the cover of Bikes etc always bangs on about Epic! Things!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I've ridden tyres for 000s of miles with gaffer tape inside small cuts. Just use those tyres on the rear wheel for peace of mind - unless the cuts extend or bulge I'd not worry :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Mr _Tibbs
    Mr _Tibbs Posts: 46
    Out on a century rude last weekend had 2 punctures plus a 'holed' tyre i.e. where a couple of shreds of glass or the like ripped 2 small sections of the tyre making any tube repairs vulnerable. Bought a roll of gaffer tape and repaired the inside of the tyre with a strip about 1cm wide all the way round which held no probs. So good in fact that seems like a good puncture resistance plan to adopt!
    Tape will work, or a patch... or better still a self adhesive tyre boot from park tool.

if it's a big split and is across the weave of the tyre then maybe bin it. Not sure I'd trust it at 120psi on a steep downhill.

In the interim, swap it to the rear just in case. A rear blow out is favorable to a front at speed
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm still riding repaired sidewalls - glue in a bit of old tyre then gaffertape over the top - providing it doesn't bulge (it will a little anyway) then it's fine - for local rides and commutes anyway and on the back wheel ... I prefer a good tyre on the front.
  • Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

An Epic ride is when you miss the 'turn off' for the standard one :lol:
  • witstu
    witstu Posts: 17
    Got home one year from the Hell of the North ride with a gell wrapper repair to a slashed tyre where the inner tube came through the tyre. It survived the remaining 30 mile.