Lance Armstrong Podcast (TDF)

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited July 2017 in Pro race
I haven't had enough abuse lately so I thought I'd say I find this interesting and a good watch. I have seen him since his Motorola days and seen him at the Leeds Classic many moons ago chatting with Sean Yates when I was young and lean. I know what he's about and read the books but....This is pretty good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfEBKZ99Leg
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I've listened to five podcasts during this Tour and I think it pips the Cycling Podcast as the best one (excluding Km0). (The other three are a long way behind).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Not watched any but listened to all the Stages audio podcasts. Like them. The latest ones with Hincapie especially. Not journos gossiping like wot they do but insight from former pros. And Lance is easy to listen to, good manner.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    It's the best cycling podcast by a long shot and just behind Cosmo's "How The Race Was Won" for best cycling media content.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Same, worth a listen to with a coffee, but then I'm biased I like him anyway
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    I couldn't hate lance if i tried. This guy, before the crap hit the fan, was the guy who inspired me to get into biking. I can listen to him all day long.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Articulate, informed and concise. What's not to like?

Excellent podcast
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ExCyclist
    ExCyclist Posts: 336
    Whether he was a bastard in the past or not Stages is a good listen. So well done to Lance and JB Hager for putting together something that isn't time consuming, is to the point (whether good or bad), and is rather funny at times.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    ExCyclist wrote:
    Whether he was a bastard in the past or not Stages is a good listen. So well done to Lance and JB Hager for putting together something that isn't time consuming, is to the point (whether good or bad), and is rather funny at times.
    "It's good to know I'm still disgraced in Cambodia"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    One of lances favourite sayings in his past life was "not normal", when referring to some super human effort by an opponent on a climb or something. When he was waxing lyrical about edvald boasson hagens acceleration away from that guy i almost cringed thinking that he was going to come out with it again.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    The ones with Hincapie were the best as they had that bit of matey niggle. I didn't listen to too many others but liked them.

When he gets someone you know on The Forward Podcast he's good too...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ExCyclist
    ExCyclist Posts: 336
    RichN95 wrote:
    ExCyclist wrote:
    "It's good to know I'm still disgraced in Cambodia"

:lol:

I'm a forgiving person and he is showing a human side. I'd go for a beer or two with him.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    He's quite good isn't he? The podcast setup allows him to express himself more and gives him more time to speak, so you get some good insight.

Will he do the same for other races?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Listened to one and read a couple, expected good insight.
  • m.r.m.
    Timoid. wrote:
    He's quite good isn't he? The podcast setup allows him to express himself more and gives him more time to speak, so you get some good insight.

Does seem to be part of his image rehabilitation, so perhaps. I certainly hope so. Most of the other cycling podcasts really don't cut it. I tend to still listen to all of them, but the formats seem rather lazy (even though it is probably a lot of work, but the work is probably due to other commitments like writing, rather than the focus on the podcast) and the level of insight and discussion on winning moves is a million times better here in the race threads than what they deliver.

Especially the insight - interview - inside joke - interview - let's go to dinner format irritates me to no end. Just seems like a tremendous amount of fluff from people who don't have what is referred to as "Star Power" (people you enjoy listening to even if what they are saying has a lot of fluff instead of just valuable analysis).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Timoid. wrote:

Any good episodes? I listen to stage 6 and thought it was very mediocre.
  • m.r.m.
    Rule of thumb would be, to listen to the stages you yourself thought had interesting aspects (You're knowledgeable enough to read the race yourself. The podcast works best if you look at it as listening in on Armstrong at your local pub after the race). Also the GC days since Lance certainly has a decent idea on what needs to be done to win GC. By and large it isn't like Gladwell's Revisionist History with clearly themed episodes, but rather enjoyable to listen as an accompaniment to watching the Tour.

Off the top of my head I'd say stage 9, stage 12, stage 19.

Hincapie and Armstrong have a good dynamic. Hincapie is a little too quiet, otherwise as a podcasting duo they would be really great.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Not added it to my feed yet. Might though.

But I would need to delete one... Rick Flair or Steve Austin to go ?

Help me choose.
  • timoid.
    Timoid. wrote:

Any good episodes? I listen to stage 6 and thought it was very mediocre.

I liked his take on the Sagan situation. Rational. Also gave his views on how riders need to influence organisers (while admitting he could have but didn't)

There is a little to much needless back and forth, but the format can be refined.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Just started listening from the beginning on holiday. Like it a lot.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • m.r.m.
    Oh and Rick, stage 18 around 38 minutes Armstrong gives his account of the famous Beloki crash. I'm a sucker for old war stories. :D
  • timoid.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Oh and Rick, stage 18 around 38 minutes Armstrong gives his account of the famous Beloki crash. I'm a sucker for old war stories. :D

Yeah. But he couldn't resist a dig at Hamilton.
  • rick_chasey
    He who fractured his shoulder in the Giro and went and still went on to a stage win and second overall, followed by breaking his collarbone in stage one of the 2003 Tour after which he won a 142 km solo effort over 6 climbs, two of which were Cat 1 and steep on stage 16, and finished 4th overall.

That Tyler Hamilton?

Drugs or no drugs; fair play.
  • timoid.
    He who fractured his shoulder in the Giro and went and still went on to a stage win and second overall, followed by breaking his collarbone in stage one of the 2003 Tour after which he won a 142 km solo effort over 6 climbs, two of which were Cat 1 and steep on stage 16, and finished 4th overall.

That Tyler Hamilton?

Drugs or no drugs; fair play.

He mentioned that Hamilton offered him a slingshot when he got back on his bike (after off road excursion across field). Seems that he wasn't convinced that Hamilton did have a broken collarbone.
  • rick_chasey
    ooh-matron.gif
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    ooh-matron.gif

I think that's the funniest reply I've seen. :D
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • tee hee

also: classic Larry. cant let it go re Tyler, can he