Carbon Frame Upgrade worth it ?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
My current road bike / fast commuter (when its not wet) is a Moda Rubato. I got it for a good deal on eBay, The sizing is fine however in hindsight I should have waited for a slightly larger framed bike to come up for sale.

With the above in mind I have been considering getting a carbon frame is a slightly larger size. Planet X are currently selling their Pro Carbon model frameset (inc headset) for a crazy cheap £239 online! Its been a while since I have had a carbon road bike also been a while since I spent any length of time on a carbon framed bike.

I really like the look of their ASBO orange frameset, It has external cable guides (this is a good thing for a home mechanic) and I am guessing saves a fair chunk of weight from the current alloy frameset.

Simple question are Carbon frame upgrades worth it, i.e will the 500g weight saving be noticeable, will the ride be more comfortable etc.

Ta.

Comments

• mr_eddy
    Obviously I know that a Alloy bike from one manufacturer maybe just as light / comfortable as a carbon bike from another but the Moda Rubato frame is really very stiff so not the most comfortable - 25c tyres help tho
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I don't think you'll notice the weight. Can you tell if one of your bottles is empty or full ?

For me the road buzz was the real improvement with carbon. Riding over grids that you'd feel on steel frame would vanish on carbon. It's also meant to be stiffer so faster with the power down and that seems accurate too.

I'd look out for reviews on the PX frame too - but for that price i'd be tempted.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    A friend of mine has a PX PRO carbon and he can't sort out the headset... it's either too tight and the steerer is not free to move or not tight enough and it knocks when he brakes... apparently it's a defect of the frame where the bearing sits.

The quality and finish of that particular frame doesn't seem stellar to me

He should have probably gone the warranty route, but we all know what a pain it is to un-build a bike, send a frame and all of that... basically it is a problem one would rather not have
    left the forum March 2023
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    I've had the Pro Carbon for a 18 months now and never had an issue tbh.

At the prices advertised they're fantastic value but you might get the odd one that will give you problems.

So it's a +1 from me.

Saying that I'm looking to upgrade atm to a Di2 equipped bike but the Planet X has served me well.
  • mr_eddy
    Thanks for the advice. The vibration damping sounds good to me as the moda is stiff but harsh even with wider rubber and carbon bars and seat post. I think I will check out some reviews of it

The price is crazy low tho
  • fenix
    Its popular frame. Lots out there.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Do it. There are enough decent reviews for the pro carbon out there, plus you'll learn a hell of a lot from stripping off the old bits and putting them on the new frame - in the long run it could pay for itself if it starts you doing your own maintenance.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Fenix wrote:
    For me the road buzz was the real improvement with carbon. Riding over grids that you'd feel on steel frame would vanish on carbon...

I think there is quite a bit of subjectivity in that statement, so I shall add some :-)

Personally, I never felt a remarkable improvement in insulation from 'buzz' when riding a Pina carbon frame. Certainly not as much as going from 100+ PSI on 23s down to 70/80 on 25s on any frame.

Now, as for steel...I personally think there can be a lovely springy quality of steel. My 653 Mercian seems to really help smooth out the bigger lumps, but not so much with buzz, because I don't get that with the right tyre width/pressures.
  • Jayme
    Jayme Posts: 48
    I recently just bought a carbon bike. I have to say, the ride on the carbon vs my aluminium is a lot smoother, and there is less road buzz. I find my carbon bike faster, but I think that is more down to geometry vs the fact it is a couple of kilos lighter (aero vs endurance). The carbon is easier to climb with though, even though the cassette is smaller. I live in the 32 cog on big climbs on my aluminium. My carbon only has a 28, and I don't struggle much, certainly less than on the aluminium.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    The PX Pro Carbon is an old design now, I bought one second hand off this forum about eight years ago and they'd been around for a while before that!
    They're pretty good though, not as stiff as alot of the more modern frames, so fairly comfortable.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    can you post a link to the offer. I might be being a bit daft (wouldn't be the first time) but I cant find the frame on offer at that price with headset.
  • fenix
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Fenix wrote:
    For me the road buzz was the real improvement with carbon. Riding over grids that you'd feel on steel frame would vanish on carbon...

I think there is quite a bit of subjectivity in that statement, so I shall add some :-)

Personally, I never felt a remarkable improvement in insulation from 'buzz' when riding a Pina carbon frame. Certainly not as much as going from 100+ PSI on 23s down to 70/80 on 25s on any frame.

Now, as for steel...I personally think there can be a lovely springy quality of steel. My 653 Mercian seems to really help smooth out the bigger lumps, but not so much with buzz, because I don't get that with the right tyre width/pressures.

To clarify - this was a 653 frame with Look Carbon fork. Rest of the kit I swapped over - so same wheels tyres and pressure - and the difference was very noticeable.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Depends how heavy your Moda is. My aluminium winter trainer/turbo bike is a mere 1.5lbs heavier than my summer carbon bike. Can I notice it? Not at all. The aluminium bike is more comfortable, but then the geometry is more relaxed whereas the summer bike is slammed. Both have wheels around 1400/1500gr and 25mm tyres.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCRFF/planet-x-pro-carbon-road-frameset#

FRPXPCRFF_P13.jpg?v=y

£249

Price gone up abit im sure they were £199 at one time, PX prices change constantly.

*Note: this frame does not include headset, seat clamp, barrel adjusters or front mech clamp. These can be purchased separately.
  • dBritain
    dBritain Posts: 37
    Moonbiker wrote:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCRFF/planet-x-pro-carbon-road-frameset#

FRPXPCRFF_P13.jpg?v=y

£249

Price gone up abit im sure they were £199 at one time, PX prices change constantly.

*Note: this frame does not include headset, seat clamp, barrel adjusters or front mech clamp. These can be purchased separately.

That's a mega price!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    XT-80 at £399 a better deal though.......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mr_eddy
    Yep my bad I must had mis-understoood its £249.99 for the frameset (no headset etc).

Sounds like this frame has been around for a long time - Not sure if I would see any real difference.

Thanks for all the help
  • mankybianchi
    mankybianchi Posts: 117
    I went from two steel frames to the Pro carbon and it was and still is a great choice for me.

One steel is 531 Ellis Briggs and the other is Columbus Gara Diamant – similar wheelsets and ultimately the Pro carbon is lighter, more responsive, more comfortable and better performing than either of the steels.

Having ridden steel for so long, I just don't get the "spring" people talk about. The change to carbon was a revelation for me.

As for quality and headsets, I have no issues here – I have never noticed any problems.