Hybrid Conversion advice

Laceinator
Laceinator Posts: 4
edited August 2017 in The workshop
Hi all, I am currently in the process of converting my 2011 Carrera Kraken into a hybrid commuter.

I have changed the tyres and stuck on a rigid fork and am now looking for the next part to modify.
I wanted to get a 1x11 groupset but I was put off by the price.

Is it a worthwhile idea to remove 2 of my cogs to save some weight and if so is it as simple as removing them or would I need some further modifications to do so?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do it how you want, easiest way is to remive two rings and use the front mech as a chain guide, or swap in a narrow wide ring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Sorry but I have just noticed this post (I don't usually look in 'Commuting). Just out of interest, what forks did you use to replace the originals? I ask because I was contemplating swapping the suspension forks on my hybrid.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • The Rookie
    To chip in, when I did the conversion I used Mosso forks, light, have enough give to be comfy and Look OK on an MTB
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • u33db
    u33db Posts: 68
    I've converted an MTB to a hybrid of sorts;

- Ditched suspension forks for rigid carbon.
    - Ditched mtb tyres for some ultra thin gatorskins.

The Kraken already has decent enough components on it so i think the above is about as far as you can sensibly go.

After that its deminishing returns really as you spend more; I mean you could swap to a 1x11 but realistic you'll undergear the bike for fast riding for no real loss in weight....a couple rings don't weigh much.

I'd personally call it quits at tyres/fork and just build up your fitness (costs nothing) for more speed.

Or buy a road bike - should be possible to get a used one for about what you'd spend doing anymore to your Kraken.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    u33db wrote:
    After that its deminishing returns really as you spend more; I mean you could swap to a 1x11 but realistic you'll undergear the bike for fast riding for no real loss in weight....a couple rings don't weigh much. .

I went 2x10 to 1x10 on my Hybrid .... was the best mod I did.

sure the weight saving was only a mere 300g ... but the real benefit was my ride is a bunch of short relatively steep climbs and descents .... the usable gear range was at the bottom of the small ring top of the big ring .... I was forever changing between the big rings and having to avoid cross chaining .. It was annoying.

Switching to a single 44t up front and keeping the 11-28 at the rear massively improved the ride just shifting up and down, it stripped out all the totally unnecessary gearing and gave me one shifter, one perfect band

Love it
  • The Rookie
    Funnily enough I'm running a 44 and a 12-28 on my commuter hybrid.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    u33db wrote:

Same question I asked the OP - what forks did you put on it please?
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • jsisidore
    jsisidore Posts: 123
    u33db wrote:
    - Ditched mtb tyres for some ultra thin gatorskins.
    I found big ben balloon tyres to be a great upgrade, works as suspension and rolls well too.
  • u33db
    u33db Posts: 68
    ayjaycee wrote:
    u33db wrote:

Same question I asked the OP - what forks did you put on it please?

I used ones from carbon cycles;

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&rb=6&

Think they were only 100 quid but have last well...they've been on for over 3 years now.
  • Sorry didn't see all of the replies. I changed my forks to some from Carbon Cycles, same as the poster above. They made a big difference to the weight and feel of the bike. They were just over £100. Word of warning though, don't try and call Carbon Cycles. I contacted them about a size query and it cost me £17!

I agree with the posts above and have now stopped spending on this bike as it does all I need it to. I am currently looking at a road bike as a second bike though :)

Thanks for the opinions!
  • Oh, and Schwalbe Marathons are my tyre choice. Huge upgrade on the road from the Continental Mountain Kings that were fitted.