Does geometry make or break a bike?

MTBerSurrey
MTBerSurrey Posts: 52
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi All.

3 months in and it's time for a new bike. I brought a budget HT (Carrera Fury) but I'm pushing it close to its limit, plus want a FS.

The Boardman FS Pro looks a steal components wise. Rockshox Pike, SRAM Guide and GX 1 x 11 for £1600 full price and I'm sure much less on sale.

Looking around, other bikes I am keen on around the 2k mark have similar and sometimes the same components (YY Capra Al, Canyon Spectral 6.0 ex, Whyte T-130, Vitus Sommet etc)

Is the boardman price so much lower due to the frame or other reasons? I don't want to buy it and be disappointed but at the same time, plenty of left over cash for a dropper and cockpit changes.

Comments

• wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Dropper, tubeless and setup is all that bike needs.
    I would wait to see if it comes back down to £1200 plus think you get extra 10% off with vouchers.
    Not sure if you get some more money off for the British cycling membership thingy too.
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membe ... -discounts
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Does it make a brake a bike, no (assuming it's not totally whacky), can it make or break a bike for a particular user and their particular preferences, yes.

The Boardman is a very capable and great value bike, whether it will be right for you only one person can say, will many riders be totally happy with it, yes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Does it make a brake a bike, no (assuming it's not totally whacky), can it make or break a bike for a particular user and their particular preferences, yes.

The Boardman is a very capable and great value bike, whether it will be right for you only one person can say, will many riders be totally happy with it, yes.

Good answer... thanks!