Vuelta Podium Girls Change

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited May 2018 in Pro race
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40642140
Spain's La Vuelta cycle race changes 'sexist' hostess role

The organisers of Spanish cycling race La Vuelta say they will change the role of women on the winners' podium, after calls of sexism.

Good.

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Good news. Although it is the Giro which needs to change most. Still see no reason they cannot follow the Olympic model and use schoolchildren and volunteers for the arduous tasks of carrying on the tat they present to the podium stars
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I like the TDU method of having junior riders do it. A bit like mascots in football.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    imatfaal wrote:
    Good news. Although it is the Giro which needs to change most. Still see no reason they cannot follow the Olympic model and use schoolchildren and volunteers for the arduous tasks of carrying on the tat they present to the podium stars
    Because they do an awful lot more than had out prizes. Getting schoolchildren to work twelve hour days looking after sponsors is frowned upon these days.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    RichN95 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    Because they do an awful lot more than had out prizes. Getting schoolchildren to work twelve hour days looking after sponsors is frowned upon these days.

OK that makes sense. Thanks
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    day in the life of a Hostess ... I kind of feel sorry for them people want their "airtime" taken away all because someone has decided it objectifies them ... but stick a bloke there at the same time then its ok

The numerous interviews with the ladies over the years points to the 5 mins of time infront of the cameras as the best bit of the job

6.00am: wake up but the time depends on the stage and how far we’re staying from the village départ

7.00-7.30am: time to leave the hotel

8.00-8.30am: arrival in the village départ which is always fun and in a good mood. There’s always a crazy atmosphere! I go to the Vittel stand with my colleague to get ready, here drinks, snacks, fruit and gifts are given out.

9.00am: the village opens and the guests and VIPs arrive, we get our photographs taken with them. Me and my colleague for the day will arrange the cars and transport, we have find out where the VIPs have parked their cars.

Midday: just before the race starts we’ll take guests cars and drive using the hors course route, the quickest route from the stage start to the finish. Meanwhil the guest is being driven in a Tour VIP car to see the race. We’ll take the guest’s car as close to the VIP bus at the finish as possible. As it happens it’s a big deal to drive non-accredited vehicles everyday, it helps to know the people in charge of security at the Tour.

3.00pm: arrival at the finish, time to go to the Vittel ravitaillement truck just after the finish line. It’s our office to prepare for the podium ceremony. We’ll print out the photos taken in the morning so that our guests go home with small souvenir.

4.00pm: we’ve got about an hour to eat and then get ready for the podium. We’ll change labels, swapping the sporty Vittel outfits for the podium costumes of Powerbar.

5.15pm: the podium for a few seconds of airtime.

5.20pm: back to the VIP zone to collect our guests and take them to their cars where we parked them… and that’s the job done. Time to head for the hotel.

8.00pm: Arrival in the hotel. But it can be later, much later if there’s a big transfer or a mountain stage.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    fat daddy wrote:
    day in the life of a Hostess ... I kind of feel sorry for them people want their "airtime" taken away all because someone has decided it objectifies them ... but stick a bloke there at the same time then its ok

The numerous interviews with the ladies over the years points to the 5 mins of time infront of the cameras as the best bit of the job

6.00am: wake up but the time depends on the stage and how far we’re staying from the village départ

8.00-8.30am: arrival in the village départ which is always fun and in a good mood. There’s always a crazy atmosphere! I go to the Vittel stand with my colleague to get ready, here drinks, snacks, fruit and gifts are given out.

9.00am: the village opens and the guests and VIPs arrive, we get our photographs taken with them. Me and my colleague for the day will arrange the cars and transport, we have find out where the VIPs have parked their cars.

Midday: just before the race starts we’ll take guests cars and drive using the hors course route, the quickest route from the stage start to the finish. Meanwhil the guest is being driven in a Tour VIP car to see the race. We’ll take the guest’s car as close to the VIP bus at the finish as possible. As it happens it’s a big deal to drive non-accredited vehicles everyday, it helps to know the people in charge of security at the Tour.

3.00pm: arrival at the finish, time to go to the Vittel ravitaillement truck just after the finish line. It’s our office to prepare for the podium ceremony. We’ll print out the photos taken in the morning so that our guests go home with small souvenir.

4.00pm: we’ve got about an hour to eat and then get ready for the podium. We’ll change labels, swapping the sporty Vittel outfits for the podium costumes of Powerbar.

5.20pm: back to the VIP zone to collect our guests and take them to their cars where we parked them… and that’s the job done. Time to head for the hotel.

8.00pm: Arrival in the hotel. But it can be later, much later if there’s a big transfer or a mountain stage.

And which bit of that, precisely, needs ovaries?
  • mfin
    fat daddy wrote:
    I kind of feel sorry for them people want their "airtime" taken away all because someone has decided it objectifies them.

Ah, so you think the right to do it for the absolutely minuscule number girls that do actually do it is more important than tackling objectification?

We should be tackling objectification and sexism as quickly and effectively as possible as there's no need for it, it is damaging, and it is wrong ...this small change whilst not being perfect is welcome, well done Vuelta for at least trying to do something.
  • fat daddy wrote:

dunno

But as you're mentioning body parts in relation to a role carried out in cycling, let's question all the WT, PC and Conti mens teams on how females they have working on their teams in any capacity - manager, coach, DS, mechanic, bus driver, swanny.

I'll save you the time: very very few.

And which part of those roles, precisely, need penises?
  • Lanterne_Rogue

dunno

But as you're mentioning body parts in relation to a role carried out in cycling, let's question all the WT, PC and Conti mens teams on how females they have working on their teams in any capacity - manager, coach, DS, mechanic, bus driver, swanny.

I'll save you the time: very very few.

And which part of those roles, precisely, need penises?

For the avoidance of doubt, I completely agree. An attitude that says women are essential as eye-candy doesn't help, imho.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    oh dear can we not escape this crap?

yesterday we were told by the advertising standards agency that its sexist to have a little boy in an advert playing football or a little girl dancing.

society will regret all of this crap in 50 years when no one has any personality.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Just out of interest, are the TdF podium ladies the same at each venue? I'd sort of presumed they were "local". Though I have noticed that there is a woman who stands on the right (as you look at it) who appears to be there every day.

On objectification, my better half has done a significant amount of that with respect to the riders this year. It's not just men who objectify women, women do it to men too.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,224
    larkim wrote:
    Just out of interest, are the TdF podium ladies the same at each venue? I'd sort of presumed they were "local". Though I have noticed that there is a woman who stands on the right (as you look at it) who appears to be there every day.

On objectification, my better half has done a significant amount of that with respect to the riders this year. It's not just men who objectify women, women do it to men too.

They men are not there exclusively for the eye candy however.
  • RichN95.
    larkim wrote:
    Same ones all Tour, but each jersey has a different pair.
  • RichN95.
    larkim wrote:

Neither are the hostesses. It's a PR job. They all have language skills. At the Tour of California, one of them even doubles up as a translator in post race press conferences. The idea that they are vacuous bimbos is more sexist than their presence (not that you have said that, people have though).
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    gsk82 wrote:

yesterday we were told by the advertising standards agency that its sexist to have a little boy in an advert playing football or a little girl dancing.

society will regret all of this crap in 50 years when no one has any personality.

It doesn't matter what else they do behind the scenes, the fact is the message is "Women are only good to hand out prizes to the men". It's absolutely the right thing to do and I applaud the move.
    Insert bike here:
  • RichN95 wrote:
    larkim wrote:

Neither are the hostesses. It's a PR job. They all have language skills. At the Tour of California, one of them even doubles up as a translator in post race press conferences. The idea that they are vacuous bimbos is more sexist than their presence (not that you have said that, people have though).

Funny you mention the word 'bimbo' - I was disappointed to hear Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio dismiss them as bimbos in the Cycling Podcast piece on podium girls topic, a couple of weeks ago. I tuned out whatever she had to say on the subject immediately. IMO some of the most dismissive comments made about females, are made by other females. Queen Bee syndrome.
  • RichN95.
    Funny you mention the word 'bimbo' - I was disappointed to hear Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio dismiss them as bimbos in the Cycling Podcast piece on podium girls topic, a couple of weeks ago. I tuned out whatever she had to say on the subject immediately. IMO some of the most dismissive comments made about females, are made by other females. Queen Bee syndrome.
    That was exactly what I had in mind when I used that word.
  • RichN95.
    mpatts wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

It doesn't matter what else they do behind the scenes, the fact is the message is "Women are only good to hand out prizes to the men". It's absolutely the right thing to do and I applaud the move.
    But they're not only women at the Tour. There are TV reporters, I think French TV is anchored by a woman, the race doctors I've seen are both women etc... Sure they're could be more, but to say that the Tour gives the message that all women are good for is handing out prizes seems wide of the mark.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    The ladies that do it seem happy enough to be there, so leave everyone to it ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,224
    RichN95 wrote:
    larkim wrote:

Sure, but let me know when they pick someone who isn't smoking hot.

I mean, of course they have more jobs than just the podium bit, but they're not going to hire someone ugly on the basis of their language skills.

So no, I'm not sitting here calling them vacuous bimbos, and no doubt I listened to the same podcast you did, but you're swallowing the PR guff a little too much.

The public only see them as podium girls, and they're only interested for the eye candy. They even have an official vote on the public's favourite, and I doubt many punters are voting for their phenomenal translation skills.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    The cycling podcast on this was very good, they are very intelligent, and enjoy it
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I wrote the following, then realised it might be viewed as a dismissive off the cuff comment. This feels like such a non-issue, but it is one that the outraged on behalf of others can easily get behind.

Does anyone really care. Who is it hurting, honestly.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Craigus89 wrote:
    I wrote the following, then realised it might be viewed as a dismissive off the cuff comment. This feels like such a non-issue, but it is one that the outraged on behalf of others can easily get behind.

When my daughters ask why all the F1 mechanics are male, and why can't girls do that?
    When my daughters ask me - obsessively - whether they're pretty, and not whether they're clever.
    When I get hauled into school to discuss my youngest daughter always having bruises from falling out of trees / practising parkour around her bedroom and get told that if she were a boy they wouldn't have worried.

I CARE. IT HURTS ME.
  • Delete - was going to be flippant but dont want to seem to make light of the carpet man's post^
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Best thing to do is to have a mixed team, or if that is unacceptable, get rid of podium presentations altogether.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Delete - was going to be flippant but dont want to seem to make light of the carpet man's post^

Sorry, please be flippant - it's my default mode. This stuff does matter though.
  • mfin
    Craigus89 wrote:

When my daughters ask why all the F1 mechanics are male, and why can't girls do that?
    When my daughters ask me - obsessively - whether they're pretty, and not whether they're clever.
    When I get hauled into school to discuss my youngest daughter always having bruises from falling out of trees / practising parkour around her bedroom and get told that if she were a boy they wouldn't have worried.

I CARE. IT HURTS ME.

Well said.

In years to come, things like podium girls will be a thing of the past. The faster we can reach equality, killing off objectification and sexism, the better it will be for girls and women. If these little changes seem trivial but also upset some non-thinking ogling males then who cares, stacks of small changes need to be made to make progress.

Anyone who thinks girls growing up aren't affected by these things either hasn't thought about it properly, lacks any empathy, or is plain old thick.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,127
    fat daddy wrote:

So that sounds like in reality, they are drivers who serve some drinks, then stand next to the riders on the podium. If they weren't lovely girls, there wouldn't be any photos, would there?
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I feel sorry for all the highly educated men who speak several languages who want to be podium boys handing out prizes, its not fair that they get overlooked every year in favour of women, where is the equality!

On a serious note though I really don't think it matters who hands out the jerseys and tat at the end of each stage, maybe having one male and 1 female would be better, I draw the line at ugly ones though!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I hear plenty of women objectifying the men in lycra who cycle in the races too though. And oogling the nice looking tennic players or footballers. How are we going to stop that?

And getting rid of podium girls/grid girls wont overcome the use of good looking people (both male and female) in TV and magazine advertising, acting in films etc. That has a far bigger impact and the world wont change unless you tackle that. Now having podium girls will barely get noticed and have no effect on the overall way of the world. Its just an easy target, not an effective one.

And in answer to carpet man above - lack of femail F1 mechanics and engineers has nothing to do with sexism. F1 teams are one of the greatest meritocracies. It all about perfomance and if you think they would pass over a better engineer to hire a lesser man instead then you are wrong. We have had a couple of female team principals now too.