Numbness / Pins & Needles

grant2307
grant2307 Posts: 135
edited August 2017 in Training, fitness and health
Hi people,

Done a 60 mile ride at the weekend, the longest ride I have done so far, after the ride was finished I had a pain in my left wrist and my little finger and ring finger have a numb feeling with a mix of pins and needles. I am also having a bit of grip issues, like undoing bottle lids etc.

I'm assuming an adjustment needs to be made with the handlebars / hoods

Is this something that wears off after a few days or what?

TIA

Comments

• zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    It depends on the kind of "injury". Since this is one of your longest rides it could be normal including other pain in the body but could also be a setup issue. You could provide details like your height/bike type and bike reach etc to get some advice or visit a professional bike fitter.
  • I've suffered with this recently, quite sore after a couple of hours. One day after faffing about as to whether I would go out or not I forgot my mitts. No pain, so can only assume they were restricting blood flow. Might be worth trying.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Look at your set up. Too much weight on the bars ? So too far forward or too low down ?

It's not normal to be like this.
  • zefs
    I've suffered with this recently, quite sore after a couple of hours. One day after faffing about as to whether I would go out or not I forgot my mitts. No pain, so can only assume they were restricting blood flow. Might be worth trying.

Mitts help since gel ones absorb vibrations, I've noticed pain when I don't wear them.
  • delv4
    delv4 Posts: 28
    Bars too wide for your shoulder width? This would result in your wrists splayed out instead of a straight line down from your shoulder and so putting excess pressure on the hands.

Bar tape not even wrapped causing a 'hollow' point near the hoods where you need more padding?

But as above it could just be general bike fit not set up right placing too much bodyweight forward on to your hands instead of spread evenly between your three contact points (backside, feet, hands)
  • grant2307
    I'm 6 foot 6, long in the leg, I have a Felt F85 XL 61CM frame. I recently went for a shorter and raised stem as with my seat post height it starts making reach difficult. I have considered going up to a trek XXL frame as I am very tall but I'm just not sure with the reach.

I believe the handlebars on the bike previously were 460mm where as the replacements are 440mm.

I done a 25 mile sportive previously on my 460mm handlebars with no issues pain wise. I do tend to ride on the hood mainly as thats just where I find it most comfortable to ride.

35172956343_074d1088ed_c.jpg

Yes I know I need a smaller bag :laugh:

The numbness is less today and my grip feels better, but the sensation has not completely gone. Looking at the palm of my left hand the actual point of pain when pressurised is the bottom right area.
  • delv4
    delv4 Posts: 28
    Not much of a drop there from saddle height to bars so I doubt if your weight is too far forward on your hands, so I'd be looking elsewhere for the cause.

Look at hours hands/wrists on the hoods, are your hands inline with your wrists or splayed out, if splayed out you need narrower bars. Personally I run/need 400mm bars, and as above maybe you just need better bar tape coverage and or better mitts.

Good luck with it, hopefully you can cure it.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Sounds like it could be Carpal Tunnel syndrome, you can do a range of exercises to relieve it, have a google.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Can numbness be treated with acupuncture?
  • grant2307
    Delv4 wrote:
    Not much of a drop there from saddle height to bars so I doubt if your weight is too far forward on your hands, so I'd be looking elsewhere for the cause.

Look at hours hands/wrists on the hoods, are your hands inline with your wrists or splayed out, if splayed out you need narrower bars. Personally I run/need 400mm bars, and as above maybe you just need better bar tape coverage and or better mitts.

Good luck with it, hopefully you can cure it.

I think this could be right, my left hand didnt feel as naturally sat as the right hand did so not quite sure but certainly something I need to look in to. I will have a look over the tape now to double check also.

Mitts I can probably agree with, I only have some btwin regular run of the mill. I have seen a couple people mention specialized body geometry are worth a buy.
  • grant2307
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Sounds like it could be Carpal Tunnel syndrome, you can do a range of exercises to relieve it, have a google.

Will have a look now! Thanks
  • zefs
    If you need help with bike fit try this (you could test the bike fit for a bit before consulting a professional):
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Stor ... orBike.jsp

This video could help as well:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9jq4WBrKOY
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Looks like a bike setup issue. Your bars/stem look way to high/short.
  • grant2307
    styxd wrote:

This I can agree with I think I need to go with a bigger frame anyway. Looking at a 2018 Trek 64cm frame. Being 6"6' / 6"7' makes for a task.

Once I get this frame I think I will go for a bike fit to get it right as I have had a fair round of messing around now
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    Grant2307 wrote:
    styxd wrote:

This I can agree with I think I need to go with a bigger frame anyway. Looking at a 2018 Trek 64cm frame. Being 6"6' / 6"7' makes for a task.

Once I get this frame I think I will go for a bike fit to get it right as I have had a fair round of messing around now

I think a bike fit will cure your woes personally.

I don't think you've got carpal tunnel syndrome. The onset of this is very gradual, my mate's dad suffers with it. You don't get it from one bike ride
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • I would go see a docotr because this is to do with cirulation and could be serious.