Sore thighs almost cramping when cycling

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
Recently during longer ride s (3-4hrs 40+ miles 3,000ft + climbing) I've noticed my thighs getting really sore almost cramping. My gut instinct is poor hydration usually take x2 750ml bottles energy with electrolyte. But I'm guilty of not drinking enough 24hrs before rides. Any ideas

Comments

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Saddle height? I think to low tends to hit the front of the thighs.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Muscles generally cramp after being asked to do more than they are capable of. The hydration thing is also a possibility, but the link between cramp/fluid intake is not proven..
  • Are these longer rides something you have started fairly recently? If so, as Imposter says, the effort is probably not something your muscles are used to at present. Could be the extra duration and perhaps intensity is pushing you beyond your threshold for too long a period than you can tolerate at present. For me, a ride where I am regularly pushing into anaerobic capacity (lots of short sharp climbs for example) usually has a similar effect.

If not, and this is a new phenomenon for rides you are used to doing, I am not really sure why you would suddenly start getting soreness/cramps. Could be hydration or slight illness perhaps.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes more information needed. What's changed ?
    If you think you're dehydrated before s ride just make sure you are a bit better prepared Next time ,?
  • rob39
    I have new shoes clears n pedals I am adding more longer climbs into the ride so guess this may have an effect but done this before with no issues previously
  • rob39
    I have new shoes cleats n pedals I am adding more longer climbs into the ride so guess this may have an effect but done this before with no issues previously. Also I'm spinning on the climbs pretty steady pace. Not overly pushing it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    There is increasing evidence that the magnesium/potassium/hydration stuff has nothing to do with cramps, which makes sense because I have never had cramps in the heat
    left the forum March 2023
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I too find that after using my quads at high effort levels over many hours they start to hurt. Whooda thunk it.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D