Worth wearing ear plugs if creaks and ticks do your head in?

shimanobottombracket
edited July 2017 in MTB general
What are your thoughts on using ear plugs to stop a creak doing your head in? Theres a "tick" "tick" noise coming from one of my bikes, mostly when pedalling slowly uphill in a low gear. It has a PF30 BB and creaking a common issue apparently.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Because that will fix the problem....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Because that will fix the problem....

Well no schit. I am unable to solve the problem so the next best thing was to mask it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So why ask if a sh1t idea is a sh1t idea?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Just fed up of spending more time fault finding than I do actually riding it seems. Dont know if its just some bikes are naturally noisy or if they are indeed faulty. My commuter bike rides nicely, but my more expensive MTB and road bike seem to suffer creaks.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I'd guess pedal bearing or bb bearing assuming it's threads greased and tightened correctly where nessesary.

It shouldn't tick or creak at all, if it does, something somewhere is not quite right.

What fault finding have you done? How old are the bb/pedal bearings?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It has a PF30 BB

That's your problem. Push fit is a stupid idea and the sooner manufacturers get rid of it the better.
    Could be that your BB bearings are on the way out and it needs replacing.

Other things to check are:
    Pedals
    Chainring bolts
    Crank arm bolts(s)
    Rear wheel tight enough.
    Saddle bolt(s)
    Seat clamp.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    clicks and creaks are apart of riding.

Should be easy to fault find as if you stand up pedalling and the noise then disappears then its not bottom bracket, pedal bearings etc.

my bike has developed a clicking noise and its the seat clamp bolts, saddle flexing to make noise.
  • I just mask the ticking sound with the squeal of my brakes and the clunking of my badly aligned gears.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I just mask the ticking sound with the squeal of my brakes and the clunking of my badly aligned gears.

I just use my tinnitus.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You've really got a problem when the creak stops. That means whatever was creaking has fallen off