SPD cleats keep turning in Northwave road conversion

danielsbrewer
danielsbrewer Posts: 123
edited July 2017 in The workshop
I got some Northwave SPD race shoes (Sonic 2 I think) and converted them so that they could be used with SPD cleats (I like SPDs). This involved cutting a flap, removing an adapter and putting in the cleat plate. I've used a torque wrench to tighten the cleats to the recommended 7-8 Nm, but when I try them in the SPD pedals they do not come out very easily and rotate, making them unusable and dangerous. I've tried two different cleat plates (Shimano and Boardman). It's a bit annoying as when they rotate they damage the bottom of the shoe a bit. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? or suggestions that I could try?

Comments

• That would certainly be worth ago. They are quite old pedals and work fine with my old shoes, but maybe they have moulded such that they work together.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Try tightening the screws in the shoes more.
  • I think my verdict is that the pedals are a goner. Tried the shoes on my non-commuter that has newer pedals and they work fine. No matter what I do with the screw on the old pedals I still have the same problem, so new pedals here we come. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Clean out the pivots and relube, I have to lube my commuter pedals (I use a 'wet' chain lube) about every three months, usually use a squirt of degreaser to clean out the old lube/dirt first.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Clean out the pivots and relube, I have to lube my commuter pedals (I use a 'wet' chain lube) about every three months, usually use a squirt of degreaser to clean out the old lube/dirt first.

3 years of year-round commuting on my M540s and I think I've sprayed some WD40 inside them twice... They still work fine.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mine were probably fine for that long, they are now 7 years old.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.