wednesday burn up through the night like meteorites

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,434
edited July 2017 in The bottom bracket
'ning

soggy night, stopped about an hour ago

off to gmc's uk tentacle, seems ages since i was there, must ensure i have enough espresso for 18% less death

need to stock up on wine and port too, suppose i could get it plumbed in, but that lacks the ritual of the cork

late tdf start today, my mission is to do all the above and get home in time for it
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    edited July 2017
    Meeting at mini corps offices today that has the potential to be exceptionally political, can't wait

Later is training and not the pub, I have got it wrong
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, fine here but cooler, my next job is due to start on the 10 th of Aug, so hopefully we will be having some summertime before then, cheers
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Off to an AGM or AMM or something in the City. Late start, long lunch, early finish, pub.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    No meetings for me, no mega, mini nor AGM.
    The morning stretches before me, with lunchtime beckoning and then a lazy afternoon 'til dinner.
    Such is life.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Early start,
    Crying students, luckily they have to cry on paper or email to me.
    May train later, it is a nice day.
    Had 2 coffees so far and the minion has just offered to make me a brew. There are enough biscuits here to keep V68 going for a few hours, however, I am trying to resist temptation.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, Normal start for me, bunch of slackers. Usual business of minimal activates and being moaned at by management etc.
    No coffee today owing to an upset stomach so I've gone all hipster with some fruit tea. Shall await TDF start and keep up with the news feed from here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Flâneur wrote:
    Early start,
    Crying students, luckily they have to cry on paper or email to me.
    May train later, it is a nice day.
    Had 2 coffees so far and the minion has just offered to make me a brew. There are enough biscuits here to keep V68 going for a few hours, however, I am trying to resist temptation.

My biscuit of choice at the moment is the humble ginger nut.
    Tasty and resilient enough to survive a good dunking. Admirable qualities in a biscuit.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    One prefers dark chocolate Hob-Nobs but they score lowly on the practical dunking scale. I find that always having a teaspoon handy has strategic merit.

Toots, washing, this, that, the other.

Weather looks ok. What's it like over there Gazza?

Update later.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    The ginger nut is a fine biscuit, the finest dunking biscuit there is. Good structural integrity after dunking is not to be underestimated. There is a pack in my desk drawer funnily enough.
    Busy start to the day dealing with large order to send to Oz. Been sorting out problems with courier deliveries, a certain companies system got hacked and they are still having issues with anything that need to go through customs. Anything I've sent to Norway and Switzerland with them has got stuck. Very dull. Need to turn the coffee machine on.
    Pub is calling particularly loudly for later, the Mrs has her 'book club' at our place tonight so I will need to run away. Not sure why they call it that, wine club would be far more appropriate. The lad got back from Tenerife a little after 3am, survived without being arrested. He wasn't overly tired as that fitted in with the times he'd been keeping over there.
    Better do some more work, ho-hum...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Volunteered to drive Stropteen to her work experience this morning. Am about to head into a meeting with some of my opposite numbers where we can swap ideas and get some free advice. Followed by free lunch. Just finishing a flat white and a bacon sarnie then I'd better get to this meeting :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Back to the day unit today. Early start to get across Cambridge in time to get bloods to the lab in time - difficult for the young lady and stressful. Dunno how long we will be here. Monday was 11 hours.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    sungod wrote:
    need to stock up on wine and port too, suppose i could get it plumbed in, but that lacks the ritual of the cork

Port? In July? Unless you do the chilled white port thing I suppose.

Normal work bollix, then dry drinks later with some old school friends who are much more successful than me.
  • pinno
    Do Corks still exist? I thought it was universally spongy plastic stoppers. Either that or it reflects SG's income.
  • hopkinb
    Most of the reds I buy are under cork or DIAM (essentially cork granules that are cleaned up and stuck back together to avoid the risk of TCA taint), whites under screwcap.
  • sungod
    hopkinb wrote:

tawny port is a nice year round drink, prefer it to vintage and no need to decant, it can be chilled though i prefer it room temp

i remember a post-dinner tipple with a colleague in belgrade, got back to the hotel, noticed a bottle of tawny in the hotel bar so i suggested a glass as a night cap, we ended up finishing a couple of bottles between us (all they had), we were absolutely crippled in the morning
  • hopkinb
    sungod wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

tawny port is a nice year round drink, prefer it to vintage and no need to decant, it can be chilled though i prefer it room temp

i remember a post-dinner tipple with a colleague in belgrade, got back to the hotel, noticed a bottle of tawny in the hotel bar so i suggested a glass as a night cap, we ended up finishing a couple of bottles between us (all they had), we were absolutely crippled in the morning

Oh, of course you're right, a drop of tawny is always welcome. What's your preferred house/age? I've only really had experience of the widely available Warres Otima 10. I'm not much of a port drinker, but last Christmas my brother and I shared a bottle of 1985 Dows. Decanted it before Christmas lunch, started it with the cheese and polished it off over the course of the evening. Stunning stuff, at least for my inexperienced palate.
  • veronese68
    Was out drinking with friends once, quelle surprise, and one of the girls was drinking port. I was buying a round late in the evening and the barman said that's the second time I've had to open a new bottle of port, and she's the only one drinking it. She got through 2 1/2 bottles of the stuff that night, the rest of us weren't exactly sober either.
  • sungod
    hopkinb wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    Oh, of course you're right, a drop of tawny is always welcome. What's your preferred house/age? I've only really had experience of the widely available Warres Otima 10. I'm not much of a port drinker, but last Christmas my brother and I shared a bottle of 1985 Dows. Decanted it before Christmas lunch, started it with the cheese and polished it off over the course of the evening. Stunning stuff, at least for my inexperienced palate.

unless it's somewhere that has a proper port section, there's often not much on offer, taylors, grahams, dows, warres etc. are the ones easiest to find, of the four i think i prefer the taylors, the grahams least but it's still ok

calem 10 seems a bit light for the age

the kopke 10yr is really nice

had some nice colheitas (a tawny of specific year rather than specified age) but also some poor, it's a real lottery depending on the year, i gave up experimenting on them!

there's also 'tawny port' that is simply blended from red+white rather than aged, completely different process but aiming at a similar taste, the waitrose one is ok for a casual tipple, but i tried some others that were just awful, outside uk i had some really cheap ones that were remarkably good though
  • pinno
    My only experience of Port was in that basement type place in Covent Garden, sometime in '89. They served quite large wine glasses of the stuff. It was nice.
  • sungod
    some of the old places in the city were nice too, unfortunately much has gone or become trendy
  • hopkinb
    I had an old boss who used to p*ss off down to El Vinos or Balls Brothers at lunchtime and start drinking port. If he wanted to talk to you, he'd call, and you'd have to take your files down to the wine bar, and he'd make you join in.
  • pinno
    hopkinb wrote:
    ...and he'd make you join in.

Am I supposed to believe that bit?
  • seanoconn
    Nearly 5 hours between posts on a daily thread!? That's a disgrace.
  • seanoconn
    Anyway. AMN had. Marks & Spencer's sandwiches scoffed. Gossip circulated. Lady in the blue dress complimented.
  • pinno
    seanoconn wrote:
    Lady in the blue dress complimented.

Within earshot of the new wife?!
  • veronese68
    Prosecco group has started, no mention of books. A bit too shrill for my liking so I'm going to the pub.
  • seanoconn
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

No, I was explicitly told this morning not to flirt with anyone as I was looking exceedingly handsome.
  • pinno
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

No, I was explicitly told this morning not to flirt with anyone as I was looking exceedingly handsome.

That's tricky to interpret... hmmm...
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    ...and he'd make you join in.

Am I supposed to believe that bit?

You can believe what you like, but if you didn't join in, you ended up on different jobs. This guy had a clique who drank with him, and if you didn't, then you didnt work with him. This was 15 years ago, when the old City drinking culture still clung on, though much diluted from 10 years before that. Now it's mineral water, and you pay for it yourself.