B'Twin Triban 500 brakes advice

cliftt100
cliftt100 Posts: 4
edited July 2017 in Road beginners
Hi

I Recently bought a Triban 500 road bike which I'm very pleased with. The only slight problem seems to be the stopping power of the brakes isnt great. I've read that replacing the pads (koolstop/swisstop seem to be the most recommended) can make a big difference for not too much expense.

I'm completely new to this, and was wondering what the best way of doing this is. The stock brake pads don't have cartidge holders - is it best to fit cartridge holders to the bike and are these universally compatible or do i need specific ones for my brakes?

Sorry for the novice questions, thanks for the help!

Comments

• jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    Are you sure there's no cartridge holders? a metal backing to the brake pad, with a screw conecting the cartridge to the pad?
  • cliftt100
    JLloyd wrote:
    Are you sure there's no cartridge holders? a metal backing to the brake pad, with a screw conecting the cartridge to the pad?

Yeah, there are only solid blocks with a screw in the back of them like these

file.php?id=46615&t=1
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    So throw those ones over the hedge... once they have worn down of course.

Then fit something like this....
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/swissstop-flash-pro-brake-pads-full-/rp-prod131692

However that will work out pretty expensive at almost £40 for the complete bike.
    A more cost effective method is to fit the Shimano ones like these....
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-ultegra-brake-shoes-6700/rp-prod61807 , which will run to about £22 for both wheels. This should still give you a better braking solution than the originals.
    There are other less costly options like Clarks and Brand X, but the Shimano ones are pretty decent tbh.

If you want to, once those are worn down, you can then buy the SwissStop inserts, or you can re-order Shimano ones....

Hope this helps.
  • cliftt100
    That's great, thanks very much!
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    Wiggle home brand are really good and cheap
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    I had the Triban 500 and can agree with the above, Non cartridge pads are rubbish. In the end I fitted some Cartridge V brake pads instead. These are intended for hybrids and some MTBs but the extra pad area gives more powerful braking with less effort - Only downside is you lose a bit of modulation and you have to toe the pads in a bit to avoid noisy braking in wet weather.