Turbo specific rear wheel

Joshgav
Joshgav Posts: 158
I am looking to get a spare rear wheel to put the turbo tyre onto permanently for the turbo. I've used my current tyre (GP4000II) on it and it leaves a nice shiny stripe down the centre of the tyre and don't want to wear it out too quickly. Need recommendations for the cheapest way to do this. I have an 11 speed drivetrain.

My second bike it a 10 speed hybrid, I presume I can't just stick the tyre on that with a 10 speed cassette on my road bike?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pretty sure your tyre is cheaper than a new wheel and tyre.
  • Joshgav
    cougie wrote:
    Pretty sure your tyre is cheaper than a new wheel and tyre.

Over what timeframe? i.e. how many tyres do i have to wear out before getting a spare rear wheel makes sense
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I reckon most turbos get about ooh a fortnight's use before people realise it's bloody hard work... :-)
  • Joshgav
    Fenix wrote:
    I reckon most turbos get about ooh a fortnight's use before people realise it's bloody hard work... :-)

True...except for triathletes (like me) who love them. They're pretty much the only way to get enough quality bike work into a normal training week.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    options :-

1. a "new" wheel/tyre and cassette = £100
    2. a second hand one = cheaper .. well unless you buy a carbon 60mm Zipp
    3. use the hybrid on it ?

you cant put the 10speed on the 11speed bike ... well you can, but good luck changing gear the cable pull ratios are different
  • Joshgav
    fat daddy wrote:
    options :-

1. a "new" wheel/tyre and cassette = £100
    2. a second hand one = cheaper .. well unless you buy a carbon 60mm Zipp
    3. use the hybrid on it ?

you cant put the 10speed on the 11speed bike ... well you can, but good luck changing gear the cable pull ratios are different

Probably the best and cheapest options.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Joshgav wrote:
    True...except for triathletes (like me) who love them. They're pretty much the only way to get enough quality bike work into a normal training week.

Agreed :)

You can't use the hybrid wheel with its 10-speed cassette on there, but you might be able to fit a 11-speed cassette if the hub is compatible. Which wheels are they? And do you actually use the hybrid regularly enough to make switching cassettes around a major hassle?

I rebuilt a pair of wheels on new hubs over the winter for this express purpose; early morning turbo trainer sessions are hard enough as it is, let alone when you're faffing around switching wheels before you can even start.

If you can get into a decent position on your hybrid bike, I'd be tempted to just use that on the turbo.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav wrote:

Agreed :)

You can't use the hybrid wheel with its 10-speed cassette on there, but you might be able to fit a 11-speed cassette if the hub is compatible. Which wheels are they? And do you actually use the hybrid regularly enough to make switching cassettes around a major hassle?

I rebuilt a pair of wheels on new hubs over the winter for this express purpose; early morning turbo trainer sessions are hard enough as it is, let alone when you're faffing around switching wheels before you can even start.

If you can get into a decent position on your hybrid bike, I'd be tempted to just use that on the turbo.

The hybrid isn't being used much right now as I'm not cycle commuting. It was my main bike until this year when I got a road bike, might just set it up as a permanent turbo machine.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Seems a shame to use a full bike for a turbo. Keep an eye out in the ads for a second hand bike or a frame and bits and you can get that working and save the hybrid for other duties.

Swapping wheels out is a PITA and reduces the chances of a turbo session happening.Or does to me anyway.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Depends how often you're going to be turboing to road riding - if it's a frequent swap then I'd just get a compatible wheel, cheap compatible cassette and chuck an old tyre on it - you know - the one with the split in the sidewall ...

Yes it does take time to swap the wheel over - but it's quicker than swapping the tyre over ...
  • fat daddy
    Slowbike wrote:
    Yes it does take time to swap the wheel over - but it's quicker than swapping the tyre over ...

only to begin with .. I have 2 bikes I use on the turbo, both 10 speed and I have a single 10sp rs10 with a trainer on it .... this morning it took me no more than a minute to undo a qr, drop the wheel, put new wheel in, tighten qr and put on the turbo .... after I discovered the 10sp spacer on an 11 speed hub I don't even need to adjust the gears, Just swap wheels.

admittedly sometimes I get it wrong and end up covered in chain lube .. but hey, it smells nice
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Fenix wrote:
    Seems a shame to use a full bike for a turbo. Keep an eye out in the ads for a second hand bike or a frame and bits and you can get that working and save the hybrid for other duties.

Swapping wheels out is a PITA and reduces the chances of a turbo session happening.Or does to me anyway.

It's great being able to have a bike permanently mounted on the turbo, if I had to faff on putting the bike off and on it reduces the chances of me doing it in the first place.
  • fat daddy
    yeah, my "nice" bike lives on the turbo 5 days a week .... Friday night when I get home from work I swap the wheel over and prep the bike for Saturday and sundays ride .... then on sunday evening it gets put back on the turbo again.

having multiple bikes and wheels is awesome though, the second you get a puncture you can frantically wave your arms in the air as though calling for the support car, get off the bike and decide wheel change or bike change .... lean bike against wall, grab new bike, lock in place and jump back on again grinding away wishing you had changed gears before trying to pull off in the big boy gearing .... its proper virtual Grand tour stuff :D
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    fat daddy wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

only to begin with ..

How do you now change the tyre without taking the wheel out and putting it back in?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Joshgav wrote:
    My second bike it a 10 speed hybrid, I presume I can't just stick the tyre on that with a 10 speed cassette on my road bike?

My daughter has regularly fitted my 10sp turbo wheel to her 11sp bike for turbo work, both wheels are rs11s, with vitt turbo tires, she is only using the middle of the cassette, it works fine because the 11sp narrower chain makes up for the differing RD movement, try it.