Bottomless tokens - change the travel?

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I've fitted one bottomless token to my Pike. Feels great etc. Noticed after the weekend ride that the o-ring was about 15mm or so from full travel, and not sure if thats because [a] it's doing its job and ramping up more towards the end of the stroke & I could take a few more psi out or adding the token limits the total travel by the size of the token / ie now bottoms out 15mm or so earlier...

Any advise welcome

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    It's because the pressure is ramping up towards the end of the travel. Lower the pressure if you want full travel.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Correctly installed bottomless have no effect on travel, it's almost certainly the increased progression is stopping the travel earlier as its meant to, try increasing the sag a small amount.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gregwari
    Excellent gents - thanks for the advice
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless you were bottoming out before, then the only benefit of installing tokens is to improve small bump sensitivity by increasing the sag slightly. So were you bottoming out, if not what did you want/intend to achieve by fitting it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gregwari
    Fitted as was bottoming out at 65psi with no tokens, so increased to 70psi which solved that issue but felt harsh over smaller bumps / general trail chatter. Running now with one token and low 60's, will back it down to 60psi and go for a run out this weekend