Pedals with normal shoes?

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    As in street shoes? Not really. I mean, you could if you had to, but it's not pleasant or advisable.
  • Riggsy12
    Riggsy12 Posts: 156
    As in street shoes? Not really. I mean, you could if you had to, but it's not pleasant or advisable.

Damn ok cheers for quick reply. I'll have to stick with the ugly ass mtb looking things then.
  • If you want to ride in your everyday footwear (which can be very handy and there is nothing wrong with it) and you do this primarily, some good quality clips (MKS) and straps (I prefer leather) are the best choice. They are even better with cycling shoes.

You could also opt for the pedals Shimano make which are essentially a plain platform with an SPD interface on one side; like these: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... s-ec005285

But what sort of cycling are you looking to do? That information will help with further advice.
  • Riggsy12 wrote:

Damn ok cheers for quick reply. I'll have to stick with the ugly ass mtb looking things then.

Neither of the shoes you have linked to are mtb pedals, they are both road pedals and require road specific shoes and cleats which do look thinner than mtb shoes if that helps?
  • If you are using street shoes you can always try to attach these to your pedals and try them.
    http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=mini+toe+clip&catalogId=10052&cn1=&langId=-1&gast=mini+toe+clip&storeId=10053&URL=CatalogSearchResultView&ddkey=http:PBSearchTermAssociationsCmd Its a half toe clip. I have seen metal ones around, not sure where to get them. I also don't know how well the work. Good luck.
  • Riggsy12
    Riggsy12 Posts: 156
    I'm only just getting into cycling. I have just bought my first road bike. I love it!

I'm currently getting fit to apply for the Royal Marines, so have been doing ALOT of running. Cycling realy loosens my legs. I ride in my running shoes.

I dont want any sort of pedal with clips, looks very dangerour imo. Just wanted some nicer looking pedals that will work with my running shoes, cheers.

Ps maybe something like these then...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vavert-Leisure-Commuter-Flat-Platform-Freeride-Pedals-Silver-Black-Grey-/160898970959?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item257653754f
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Riggsy12 wrote:
    I dont want any sort of pedal with clips, looks very dangerour imo.

If you're tough enough for the Royal Marines you're tough enough to handle clipless (i.e clip-in) pedals. :wink: You don't need them, but road cycling is a lot more rewarding with them. Try them, you'll be amazed at the difference.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Riggsy12 wrote:

As a relative newcomer to cycling it may seem that being fixed to your bike is somewhat dodgy in case you need to get your feet out in a hurry but in practice, it's worse for your feet to slip off when you're not expecting it. In order to use pedals like the Shimano 540s you will need some road shoes and SPD-SL cleats but it's worth it.

People talk a lot of rubbish about power transfer with clipless pedals but the main advantage is a feeling of being connected to your bike and not having your feet slip off the pedals or having to readjust your foot position as you ride.

You can ride a road bike with flats (ie pedals that you just rest your feet on), pedals with toe-clips, MTB clipless pedals (eg Shimano SPDs) or road specific clipless pedals (eg Shimano SPD-SLs, Look). If you have a look at roadies that you see, you will see almost all have some sort of clipless pedals, usually road-specific (but this seems to vary a bit, all the roadies I know use road specific pedals but I'm told plenty of roadies use MTB pedals).

MajorMantra is right, clipless pedals really are worth it and that's why you hardly ever see a roadie with flat pedals (or at least I don't).
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    If you don't want to be clipped in, these are small and light:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=52882
  • I have the M324 pedals - flats one side, SPD on the other.

Really like them - I use them clipped in most of the time, but also in trainers if I'm just going a few miles in normal clothes to visit someone.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • I have the M324 pedals - flats one side, SPD on the other.

Really like them - I use them clipped in most of the time, but also in trainers if I'm just going a few miles in normal clothes to visit someone.

+1 on these. I had a pair for a couple of years - perfectly fine for commuting as well. You can have the option of SPD clips if you want to try clipless cycling (which is fine btw) and the shoes you can get are fine for walking in as well.

Bit of a no-brainer IMHO
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bold seagull
    bold seagull Posts: 145
    I my winter hack, urban commuter cross bike I have a set of SPD-SL as I ride with these on my other road bike too. I wear trainers and normal shoes with the pedals - a lot, and never actually found it that bad, but are there any SPD-SL combi pedal options? Seems easy enough as the back side of the pedal would only need some plastic or rubber bonded to the pedal frame and it would work as it is nearly flat anyway. Surprised this hasn't been done. Or are there any links as earlier in the thread to adapters you can clip in to be used with normal shoes?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Riggsy12 wrote:
    I'm currently getting fit to apply for the Royal Marines, ......I dont want any sort of pedal with clips, looks very dangerour imo.

you do know what the Marines entails don't you ?
  • bold seagull
    fat daddy wrote:
    Riggsy12 wrote:
    I'm currently getting fit to apply for the Royal Marines, ......I dont want any sort of pedal with clips, looks very dangerour imo.

You're quoting someone from 5 years ago who last posted in Jan 2014. Not sure you'll be getting a reply anytime soon... 8)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    fat daddy wrote:
    Riggsy12 wrote:

You're quoting someone from 5 years ago who last posted in Jan 2014. Not sure you'll be getting a reply anytime soon... 8)

Says the person who resurrected a 5 year old thread?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bold seagull
    cooldad wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    Riggsy12 wrote:

Says the person who resurrected a 5 year old thread?

Didn't quote anyone, just bumped a thread with the topic I wanted with existing relevant content to my query. Had I started a new topic, this existing content would be lost would it not? Sensible forum posting. :wink:

So my post reflecting/updating the subject matter of the OP gets lost, because someone starts quoting a 5 year old post about someone wanting to be in the Marines! :roll:
  • bold seagull
    I my winter hack, urban commuter cross bike I have a set of SPD-SL as I ride with these on my other road bike too. I wear trainers and normal shoes with the pedals - a lot, and never actually found it that bad, but are there any SPD-SL combi pedal options? Seems easy enough as the back side of the pedal would only need some plastic or rubber bonded to the pedal frame and it would work as it is nearly flat anyway. Surprised this hasn't been done. Or are there any links as earlier in the thread to adapters you can clip in to be used with normal shoes?

Thread was bumped for the reasonably sensible query above. 8)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That was a question, that you answered yourself anyway?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bold seagull
    cooldad wrote:
    That was a question, that you answered yourself anyway?

I've found a clip adaptor option. I've got a choice to make, I have an existing set of SPD-SL 105 pedals, that I could either leave on the commuter use with an adaptor and get a new set of pedals for the road bike, or put the SPD-SL's on the road bike and get a new set of SPD-SL pedals that can also be used with normal shoes without an adaptor. I've done a bit of googling since posting, and I don't think an SPD-SL pedal exists that has a back side that is more favourable to a normal shoe - unless anyone knows different? :?:

If nothing turns up, I'll get the adaptors I think and a new set of SPD-SL pedals. Or I may just join the Marines. :D
  • bold seagull
    These look quite cool too, fix an old cleat to them and clip them in, expensive though...

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/universally-adapt-clipless-pedals-to-flats-with-fly-pedal-v2-44632/