Rear Derailleur Problems

AphoticSketch
AphoticSketch Posts: 32
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I recently purchased a MTB (Boardman Pro HT 2009) from eBay and it had been sat in a guys house for 4 years not being ridden. I took it to my LBS and had it serviced. They replaced a lot of bearings, the cassette, bottom bracket etc. It is now ridable, but one thing is still nagging me, the Rear Derailleur (RD) is buggered.

The guy I purchased the bike from said it would eventually need replacing, and I was expecting my LBS to replace it, but it appears they opted for a botch job instead.

The bike RD is currently a SRAM X0 9 Speed, and I'm looking to upgrade it. If anyone can help me work out what options I have I would be very grateful.

At this point I'd like to avoid having to buy an excessive amount of parts, but in the future I'd like to convert to 1x10 or 1x11. If I can do that without having to change my hubs that would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    9, 10 and 11 speed hubs are the same, except for Sram XD , which you won't have. It allows for a 10 tooth small cog.

So just replace the mech with a Sram 9 speed, or the cassette,mech and shifters for any 9, 10 or 11 speed. As long as the mech and shifters are the same brand (Sram or Shimano) it will work fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Oh right, awesome. I didn't realise it was that simple. :)

Thanks for your help.