Increased heart rate

rudin
rudin Posts: 14
Hi everyone!
I just did an FTP test and I noticed that my HR at FTP was at least 10 bpm higher than normal. A month ago when I did the last FTP test my heart rate was 165 bpm but now it is more like 175 bpm. And it is not just a temporary thing either, I have been noticing this increase in HR for a bout two weeks now. Besides that, my FTP has also dropped for about 10 watts. From 230 to 220.
Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong. Please help.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd have thought you should be close to your max anyway doing your FTP test ?

But an elevated HR is a sign of illness or over training - and your reduced power seems to suggest this.

Take a week off and see how you are after rest.
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Were the weather conditions same? If they were see your Doc, (but leave the surgurey door open). If they were different, it called hot weather syndrome, which is probaly a combination of the hot air having a lower density of oxygen, so we have to breath more, which would require a higher HR, plus some of your bodies finite resorces are being used for extra temperature regulation so there is less left for power. Or in this weather don't measure anything,, just slow down, and leave records for the autumn.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    10w and 10bpm difference is an anomaly that can be attributed by

Weather
    sleep
    nutrition
    illness
    tiredness
    time of day

its too small a difference over to small a timescale to be anything other than guess work ..... but going on recent happenings I would say a mix of tiredness due to the weather and you not sleeping as well AND hotter when you did it and your body using more energy just to cool you
  • carytb
    carytb Posts: 14
    Hay Fever perhaps. My resting HR has gone up 10 beats over the last 4/5 weeks and is only now starting to go down
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Yes Ive got to agree with the above about conditions weather etc.
    My HR has gone up as yesterday evening did a 25 miler at fair pace and noticed I was running a higher HR than normal.
    Average 150bpm with max at 172bpm. My normal ride out is Ave 134bpm and max at 154bpm.
    My MAX HR is 182bpm.
    So confirms what others are saying.

Regards.
    Tony
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    maybe you are slowly dying?
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    maybe you are slowly dying?

as we all are...