Fedex Incomptetex?

2»

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    if it's standard drops and quick release, just try leaning on the bars to get weight on them and release/fasten the qr - if the front wheel is even slightly off fully seated it can be enough for the disc to rub

if it's been bent you should be able to see any wobble by holding the front up and spinning the wheel, look at reflection off the side of the rotor - it'll show up a problem more clearly than trying to judge it head on
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    meursault wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    When I had, I think, my third Jamis delivered from Evans (the first two being damaged), the delivery guy turned up very late on Saturday morning. We took the box off the van and it was evident that it was fairly beaten up. I said I'd need to inspect the bike before taking delivery. He said, in that case, he'd just take the bike back as he should have knocked off an hour ago. There followed an unseemly wrestling match over the box which I won. The bike was OK but a ridiculous situation.

Icing on the cake for me was delivery driver.

I'd already made up my mind not to give him attitude as I reasoned he can only deliver when it gets to him. But he was so sullen, I barely got a grunt out of him. Again, no apology, no have a nice day, just handed me the signy thing and walked off. Talk about be happy in your work.

Trouble is, as is becoming apparent, the delivery drivers are being treated like scum by the companies and I'm pretty sure my friendliness quotient wouldn't last long in their shoes. My last delivery I insisted on being made by Royal Mail (and redelivered to my local PO) and anything I can't control I get sent to an Argos or nearby corner shop. If I get them to deliver to my house, I either end up with something expensive left in my green bin all day, get caught up in a tedious redelivery discussion after the driver has already made two unsuccessful attempts to deliver effectively at his own expense, or have to drive to some shithole shed just this side of Mars to pick it up.

These companies need serious regulating but, of course, that would impact on our free delivery so that probably won't happen - the Daily Mail wouldn't allow it.

Yep, totally agree with these comments. My issue is, why say next day when it isn't?

Same reason we have Brexit. People believe what they are told and if one person tells them what they want to hear (next day delivery guaranteed) and the other tells them the truth (might be next day, might be the day after - too many variables to guarantee it but we'll do our best - the world isn't perfect) then most people will pick the former. So you might as well lie.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Definitely more hassle packing the bike off and away than fixing the caliper.

There's always a video on youtube. Always handy to know the basics - who knows what you might need to do out on the road one day.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Fenix wrote:

There's always a video on youtube. Always handy to know the basics - who knows what you might need to do out on the road one day.

It is handy to know these things, but day one, out of the box, doing repairs? Also I have no idea if it's brake mech, disc rotor, dropouts, skewer. It didn't even snap into the dropouts cleanly.

If you bought a new car, and there was something wrong with the brake, would you go on youtube and start taking it apart?

Moot anyway on it's way back as we speak.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    edited July 2017
    meursault wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

but day one, out of the box, doing repairs?

It's not really a repair though and chances are they won't have to fix anything.

If the rotor is slightly out of true (which is quite common) or the wheel isn't aligned correctly you'll get a bit of rub. They'll likely take the wheel off, and put it back in. If they get a bit of rub still will re-centre caliper. If it's still rubbing after that they might send it back as it is....or replace rotor to keep you happy.

If you send it back to them every time it rubs you'll never ride the thing.
  • fenix
    If you buy a bike mail order then to me there's always the chance that something's moved during transportation. It doesn't sound like much to do and I'd be happy to have a look as that's the price you pay for buying at a distance.

The car analogy isn't very accurate. I'd pick up from the dealership - not expect it to arrive in a box with the wheels off....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Dinyull wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

but day one, out of the box, doing repairs?

It's not really a repair though and chances are they won't have to fix anything.

If the caliper is slightly out of true (which is quite common) or the wheel isn't aligned correctly you'll get a bit of rub. They'll likely take the wheel off, and put it back in. If they get a bit of rub still will re-centre caliper. If it's still rubbing after that they might send it back as it is....or replace rotor to keep you happy.

If you send it back to them every time it rubs you'll never ride the thing.

Every time I ride my MTB I seem to need to realign the calipers! Even though they were fine when I previously parked the bike.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meursault
    Update: Fedex supposed (lol) to pick up today but didn't turn up. So it's Monday now. If that shop or any was my business I wouldn't use them again. Such unprofessional, unreliable service, no comms. They just turn up or don't when they want. Bunch of amateurs.

Anyways, not much shop can do, they said they have tried all the others and they are worse!

I'm tempted to drive it up, get it sorted and drive back myself. Hmmmm.

Voltaire
  • fenix
    Or unpack it - fix it in ten mins and then youve got it for the weekend !
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Fenix wrote:
    Or unpack it - fix it in ten mins and then youve got it for the weekend !

If they've posted the missing charger...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fenix
    D'oh !
  • meursault
    I suppose they still have twenty mins to get it!

Voltaire
  • fenix
    Apparenltly FedE suffered with that ransomware attack the other week. Lots of things got messed up for them.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,573
    edited July 2017
    meursault wrote:
    But is it as nice as it looked?

Indeed it is, very much in love with it.

However (There always is, isn't there)

I really struggled with the seatpost/battery thing was a basterd to get in, no idea what I was doing wrong.

This IS a pain - I struggled hugely with it as well, took all of the carbon paste off, and still could not get it to work.
    The indiocy of it, is that the end of the seatpost is chamfered, and there is just enough room for the cable to jam inbetween this and the frame.

The solution is to undo the plastic cover at the bottom bracket, with a large flat headed screwdriver, and locate the power cable that connects to the battery - then as you slide the seatpost into the desired level, you need to pull the cables basically out of the frame so the cable is not bunching up under the seatpost, and then you have the fun and games of trying to fit it all back in again once done!

Not sure if this is a specific feature of Dale seatposts, as the Save seatpost I bought recently also had the same chamfered edge - or perhaps this is a Di2 thing?

One annoyance which means it will never be a bike I would ride to a family members house, and look to put it in the car to go back - just too much hassle.
    My cable ended up being fairly grazed as a result, but all still seems to work ok.

Bit of a foul up that they managed to forget the charger.........

On a separate note, I have had huge success, and would not be without this tool:
    31aos0ALTLL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFIVE%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    Especially with regards to my more fussy SRAM setup.

I also had a fair bit of success with something similar to this, for a few pennies - slots around the rotor, and in theory gives you a default amount of space between the pads and the rotor.
    s-l225.jpg

The suggestion to loosen off the bolts, pump the lever a few times, and then hold and tighten up the bolts does not always work, and in fact never worked on my SRAM units.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Sounds very odd.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meursault
    Daniel B wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    But is it as nice as it looked?

Indeed it is, very much in love with it.

However (There always is, isn't there)

I really struggled with the seatpost/battery thing was a basterd to get in, no idea what I was doing wrong.

This IS a pain - I struggled hugely with it as well, took all of the carbon paste off, and still could not get it to work.
    The indiocy of it, is that the end of the seatpost is chamfered, and there is just enough room for the cable to jam inbetween this and the frame.

The solution is to undo the plastic cover at the bottom bracket, with a large flat headed screwdriver, and locate the power cable that connects to the battery - then as you slide the seatpost into the desired level, you need to pull the cables basically out of the frame so the cable is not bunching up under the seatpost, and then you have the fun and games of trying to fit it all back in again once done!

Not sure if this is a specific feature of Dale seatposts, as the Save seatpost I bought recently also had the same chamfered edge - or perhaps this is a Di2 thing?

One annoyance which means it will never be a bike I would ride to a family members house, and look to put it in the car to go back - just too much hassle.
    My cable ended up being fairly grazed as a result, but all still seems to work ok.

Bit of a foul up that they managed to forget the charger.........

On a separate note, I have had huge success, and would not be without this tool:
    31aos0ALTLL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFIVE%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    Especially with regards to my more fussy SRAM setup.

I also had a fair bit of success with something similar to this, for a few pennies - slots around the rotor, and in theory gives you a default amount of space between the pads and the rotor.
    s-l225.jpg

The suggestion to loosen off the bolts, pump the lever a few times, and then hold and tighten up the bolts does not always work, and in fact never worked on my SRAM units.

Molto salute for this information. My seatpost issue sounds the same as yours. At first, when I couldn't work out what was causing it, I loosened the allen head or whatever that is called, too much and lost half the bracket that tightens the seatpost into the frame! Retrieved that, figured out how it went back together then replaced all. Possibly by luck, I managed to get the cable below the joint and it did go in fairly easily. Hopefully I haven't crushed the cable, but without a charger I can't check.

In better courier news! Fedex picked up bike last minute last night, so on it's way back to Dewsbury.

What is your opinion on provided saddle?

My main reason for this bike choice was comfort for longer sedate rides, so do I need to think of compatible saddle, or is supplied one fine?

Voltaire
  • daniel_b
    Haha, have a feeling I did the exact same thing with the seatpost bolt!

Hope your cable is ok, worst case they aren't that pricy iirc. I had to buy a new one, as I added a unit to send data to the garmin.

The saddle looked pretty ok to me, but I had a carbon railed Arione cx to go on, and have just bought an 00 to go on there, so never actually tried it.
    Think they have a good rep though, should probably get around to selling it.

Imho, it's a stupendously comfy bike, you might even want to drop the stem down a bit/chop the steerer once you are acquainted fully with it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I refuse to use FedEx after they lost my Volleyball.
  • meursault
    Daniel B wrote:
    Haha, have a feeling I did the exact same thing with the seatpost bolt!

Hope your cable is ok, worst case they aren't that pricy iirc. I had to buy a new one, as I added a unit to send data to the garmin.

The saddle looked pretty ok to me, but I had a carbon railed Arione cx to go on, and have just bought an 00 to go on there, so never actually tried it.
    Think they have a good rep though, should probably get around to selling it.

Imho, it's a stupendously comfy bike, you might even want to drop the stem down a bit/chop the steerer once you are acquainted fully with it.

Appreciate that thanks.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    I refuse to use FedEx after they lost my Volleyball.

4006488-wilson.jpg

Voltaire
  • meursault wrote:
    I refuse to use FedEx after they lost my Volleyball.

4006488-wilson.jpg

WILSON!!!!!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It could be worse, Yodel might have your parcel. I bought something on Ebay as the seller stated 1st class RM but the tracking number wasn't a RM number as I found out when I went to the local sorting office with the tracking number. It is only because I googled the first action on the tracking history I know it's Yodel with my parcel in their van, the seller hasn't told me despite asking them twice.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • meursault
    redvee wrote:
    It could be worse, Yodel might have your parcel. I bought something on Ebay as the seller stated 1st class RM but the tracking number wasn't a RM number as I found out when I went to the local sorting office with the tracking number. It is only because I googled the first action on the tracking history I know it's Yodel with my parcel in their van, the seller hasn't told me despite asking them twice.

Still seems weird to me how they deliver or don't when they want. This seems to be the moral of the story. I'd assumed that to be competitive, you would need to be better on price and efficiency than others, but no, they are all shite.

Voltaire
  • daniel_b
    DPD are a class apart imho.

You are given a date, texted a 1 hour slot in the morning, get a link to the name of your driver, where ge currently is, and what number delivery he is on, and what number delivery they are currently on, and can easily select another day on the fly.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    My 2p worth:

Lots of couriering is self-employed those days, even with the big companies. I looked at a DPD franchise a few years ago and decided that 90-110 deliveries per day would never deliver me a 40 hour week. No excuse for a poor show though. If it's in my control I almost always look for click & collect, either the local paper shop if possible (supporting local business) or Argos etc.

Secondly, the OP has had both delivery issues and build issues. I can't help but think that if you'd supported your local bike shop you'd have been able to ride the bloody thing home. For how much you must have saved purchasing online, was it really worth the headache?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    Mouth wrote:
    Secondly, the OP has had both delivery issues and build issues. I can't help but think that if you'd supported your local bike shop you'd have been able to ride the bloody thing home. For how much you must have saved purchasing online, was it really worth the headache?

In this case... almost certainly.
  • meursault
    Mouth wrote:
    My 2p worth:

Lots of couriering is self-employed those days, even with the big companies. I looked at a DPD franchise a few years ago and decided that 90-110 deliveries per day would never deliver me a 40 hour week. No excuse for a poor show though. If it's in my control I almost always look for click & collect, either the local paper shop if possible (supporting local business) or Argos etc.

Would love to support local bike shop in all purchases.

Bike was listed as 3.2k but got for 2k. Is a local bike shop going to match anywhere near that?

Voltaire
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    meursault wrote:
    Bike was listed as 3.2k but got for 2k. Is a local bike shop going to match anywhere near that?

Did you try?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • meursault
    Mouth wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Did you try?

Yes. There isn't a local (less than 20 miles) Cannondale dealer near me, and they did not have this offer. Also, Hargreaves, Dewsbury are a local shop, just not mine or some big corporate chain.

Voltaire