biking in wales 24th-29th septmeber

japower1990
japower1990 Posts: 45
edited July 2017 in Holidays
Hi all,

i'm in wales in September for a week of cycling. I'm in betws-y-coed on the 25th and 26th and then methyr tydfil for the rest of the week to ride the bike park.iv never really done anything too downhill so I'm looking forward to it.would be good to go for a ride with someone if anyones about?

or if anyone can recommend any particular trails it'd be appreciated.

thanks

james

Comments

• simono5
    simono5 Posts: 42
    We're staying in Lanrwst just up the road in August and have similar sort of questions. I'll have a 12 and 13 year old with me though.

I've settled on doing the two old Marin Trail routes. Gwydir Mawr (25km) and Gwydir Bach (9km). Couple more riders here;
    https://www.ibikeride.com/wales/1510-be ... ing-trails

We were going to do the uplift at http://www.anturstiniog.com/ but fear this is too much for our skill level and bikes so going to give it a miss this year. We've been recommended Coed Y Brenin which looks perfect for a day riding.

Would be interested in rides you're fancying.
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    I can thoroughly recommend Coed-y-Brenin, although it's a lot further north than Merthy Tydfil so totally worth it. We did a long weekend last year consisiting of Coed-y-Brenin, Nany-yr-Arian and finally Bike Park Wales, was an amazing weekend of riding. Depending on fitness levels I would recommend booking the uplift at BPW if you're riding the day before, it'll save your legs and you'll get way more runs in.

Afan forest is meant to be some amazing riding although I'm yet to try this yet, but it does seem to be considerably closer to BPW than the others. If you're doing Nant-yr-Arian then prepare for being in the wilderness for a good few hours, there are no shops, houses, cars, people....just sheep, so takes lots of food and water.

Hope you have a good time!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    If you're in Merthyr I wouldn't think going to Coed-y-Brenin was worthwhile - that's got to be a 3 hour drive. Plenty of good trail centres more locally Cwmcarn, Afan, Brechfa. Brechfa's the far side of Llandovery and is a bit off route for most people - probably quieter than other centres and full of a range of excellent trails to boot.

Plus there's plenty of proper off roading in the area - take the Taff trail to Brecon if you want something more relaxing, or the Gap if you want an adventure.

[Mixing up replies to two different posts here but you get the point...]
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    You could do a grand tour of them all: Marin & Penmachno, Coed y Brenin, Nant yr Arian, Brechfa, Afan, BPW, Cwmcarn
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Marin ... 362713!3e0
  • Thank you for all the response people, its much appreciated. i can sit down now and plan my days properly knowing where ill be heading.

I've got a days uplift booked for the bike park as i suspect my legs will be like jelly by the time i get there.

i just want to get there now :D