Cannondale caadx or boardman cx team

eavesy31
eavesy31 Posts: 38
edited July 2017 in Commuting general
Guys I'll keep this quite simple, looking to buy a cx bike for commute and a bit of weeekend fun in the park where my trek madone won't go... I've got a couple in mind the cannondale and the boardman. Both around the £1k mark but the boardman with single sram drivetrain and hydraulic disc. What's the best offer. All opinions appreciated to help me decide or offer up any alternatives I might have missed..

Thanks in advance

Comments

• vehlin
    vehlin Posts: 10
    I've got a 2016 CAADX and the only thing I could fault on it were the brakes. It seems Cannondale have fixed that for 2017 with the TRP Spyres, they're not hydros but they're better than the promax crap that they used to use.

Keep in mind that if you're planning on any road riding the 46-36 chain rings aren't ideal for hills, saying that neither is a 1x44
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    vehlin wrote:
    Keep in mind that if you're planning on any road riding the 46-36 chain rings aren't ideal for hills, saying that neither is a 1x44

eh ... whats wrong with that for hills .. you have a 44t - 42t .. that's a 1.05 gear ratio for going up . .. or 44t - 10t giving you 4.40 coming down

in terms of gearing that's more favourable climing than a 34-32 and only 1mph slower than the other end of a 50-11 at the same cadence
  • fat daddy
    As far as spec goes I don't think you can beat the the team CX ... no more than a couple of days go past without me going in to cycle republic and almost buying one.

The only thing that pust me off is the fact that's its a Boardman .. and to be honest I am a brandname snob .. and this comes from someone that already owns a Boardman Team hybrid. .... the Team Cx is in my opinion the better bike, but the CAADx has Cannondale written on it
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Must admit the Boardman name would probably make me want to buy it. Class rider in his day and behind Team GB responsible for a lot of those Golds. And he's funny on TV. I'd take that any day over a big brand name.

Cannondale used to be known as Crack n' Fail after all.
  • fat daddy
    Fenix wrote:
    Class rider in his day and behind Team GB responsible for a lot of those Golds. And he's funny on TV..

I totally agree ... I wish I felt this way .. I would have more love for my Hybrid and would have bought the team CX s well by now

perhaps I need therapy
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    On paper the Boardman is a great spec when reduced to £800 before BC discount, the large gave me a decent compromise geometry of a semi-racy front end, but for whatever reason I could not get on with Sram double-tap gearing. Almost every time I tried to imagine coming up to a hill and wanting to drop 1-3 gears, I rarely got the change I wanted.

If it would have been easier to travel to Evans in the past ~3/4 years (Reading was my closest until very recently, now Fareham), I would have test ridden a Pinnacle Arkose This year the X 2017). £900 for 1x10 Shimano gearing (albeit a bar end shifter), TRP Hylex hydraulic brakes and Tubeless-ready wheels (unlike the singlespeed version) is good value IMO.

http://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ark ... e-EV275629

But super deals do come along, bringing makes/models into budget out of the blue, my Cube cost me £900 in early May. Reductions on 2017 models should start anytime now.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've SRAM on my summer bike and ultegra on the winter bike. I usually mess up a change on the first few rides on each but then it's ok again. SRAM works well for me - if I had the choice I think I'd go with that over ultegra and I've been a fan of Shimano for decades...