Fedex Incomptetex?

meursault
meursault Posts: 1,433
edited July 2017 in The cake stop
First world problem here.

Are Fedex shite?

Bike was due to be delivered yesterday by 1800. Nothing, no call, no explanation, no email, niente.

Made a few calls today, will be here by 1800 again. Nothing so far.

Anyone had problems with them?
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Comments

• meursault
    It's arrived 23 hours late, Royal mail would have done better.

Voltaire
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Oh noes. I feel your pain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    But is it as nice as it looked?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    royal mail dont take bikes so they would not have done better. If you look at the failed delivery rate of the main courier firms it is very low. royal mail dont do any better. One problem maybe the oversize nature of the package. MAny courier have size limits. If the parcel is bigger than that it causes problems. That is the senders fault.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    One problem maybe the oversize nature of the package. MAny courier have size limits. If the parcel is bigger than that it causes problems. That is the senders fault.

So the delivery company couldnt phone/text/email to explain because the parcel may have been oversize... :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    When I had, I think, my third Jamis delivered from Evans (the first two being damaged), the delivery guy turned up very late on Saturday morning. We took the box off the van and it was evident that it was fairly beaten up. I said I'd need to inspect the bike before taking delivery. He said, in that case, he'd just take the bike back as he should have knocked off an hour ago. There followed an unseemly wrestling match over the box which I won. The bike was OK but a ridiculous situation.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meursault
    cooldad wrote:
    Oh noes. I feel your pain.

Grazie.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    But is it as nice as it looked?

Indeed it is, very much in love with it.

However (There always is, isn't there)

I really struggled with the seatpost/battery thing was a basterd to get in, no idea what I was doing wrong. Front wheel/disc will not align and rubs either against the spokes or disc caliper mechanism. I can't get wheel to sit in the dropouts straight.

Di2 dead. Either flat or I haven't connected something correctly, or can't find the on button? I would have thought they would of charged it before they sent it out.

I also didn't realise, you have to have the Shimano specific charger (I'm assuming), so thats another £60-100 whatever.

Obviously, I'm new to disc and di2 so it could all be my fault, I dunno.

I have emailed shop for advice, but don't know how good they are with mails.

Love the bike but bit deflated, I think I will have to take to local bike shop to get roadworthy, and more cost.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    royal mail dont take bikes so they would not have done better. If you look at the failed delivery rate of the main courier firms it is very low. royal mail dont do any better. One problem maybe the oversize nature of the package. MAny courier have size limits. If the parcel is bigger than that it causes problems. That is the senders fault.

It's great the average is really low, but not really any good to me. By chance I didn't have to go into work today so was in anyway, don't really see why I needed to wait in two days for a next day delivery.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    When I had, I think, my third Jamis delivered from Evans (the first two being damaged), the delivery guy turned up very late on Saturday morning. We took the box off the van and it was evident that it was fairly beaten up. I said I'd need to inspect the bike before taking delivery. He said, in that case, he'd just take the bike back as he should have knocked off an hour ago. There followed an unseemly wrestling match over the box which I won. The bike was OK but a ridiculous situation.

Icing on the cake for me was delivery driver.

I'd already made up my mind not to give him attitude as I reasoned he can only deliver when it gets to him. But he was so sullen, I barely got a grunt out of him. Again, no apology, no have a nice day, just handed me the signy thing and walked off. Talk about be happy in your work.

Voltaire
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    meursault wrote:

I'd already made up my mind not to give him attitude as I reasoned he can only deliver when it gets to him. But he was so sullen, I barely got a grunt out of him. Again, no apology, no have a nice day, just handed me the signy thing and walked off. Talk about be happy in your work.

Trouble is, as is becoming apparent, the delivery drivers are being treated like scum by the companies and I'm pretty sure my friendliness quotient wouldn't last long in their shoes. My last delivery I insisted on being made by Royal Mail (and redelivered to my local PO) and anything I can't control I get sent to an Argos or nearby corner shop. If I get them to deliver to my house, I either end up with something expensive left in my green bin all day, get caught up in a tedious redelivery discussion after the driver has already made two unsuccessful attempts to deliver effectively at his own expense, or have to drive to some shithole shed just this side of Mars to pick it up.

These companies need serious regulating but, of course, that would impact on our free delivery so that probably won't happen - the Daily Mail wouldn't allow it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    meursault wrote:

I also didn't realise, you have to have the Shimano specific charger (I'm assuming), so thats another £60-100 whatever.

Surely the bike came with the appropriate charger????
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:

Trouble is, as is becoming apparent, the delivery drivers are being treated like scum by the companies and I'm pretty sure my friendliness quotient wouldn't last long in their shoes. My last delivery I insisted on being made by Royal Mail (and redelivered to my local PO) and anything I can't control I get sent to an Argos or nearby corner shop. If I get them to deliver to my house, I either end up with something expensive left in my green bin all day, get caught up in a tedious redelivery discussion after the driver has already made two unsuccessful attempts to deliver effectively at his own expense, or have to drive to some shithole shed just this side of Mars to pick it up.

These companies need serious regulating but, of course, that would impact on our free delivery so that probably won't happen - the Daily Mail wouldn't allow it.

Agree on a lot of this. Zero hours/self employed contracts don't help. Funnily enough, the Amazon delivery guy who seems to come nearly every day for my landlord/neighbour in Wilts is a really cheerful bloke.

PO shoot themselves in the foot. Loads of stuff that needs (unnecessary) signing for then it gets returned to a sorting office miles away. Last time I went to the Cambridge one, I queued for 45 minutes having finally found somewhere to leave the car. Even if you pay the 70p to have it left at the local PO, tell them on a Friday and it's Monday afternoon before you can collect it. In the Highlands, the couriers do most of their residential deliveries in the evening (not unusual for stuff to come at 9pm) when people are home and there's far less traffic (not that there's much traffic at any time). I bet their delivery success rates are infinitely higher than most. That also allows people to be a delivery driver as a second job or sharing childcare with a partner. It seems to make total sense to me.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Son was waiting at the window for his new bike to come a couple of years back having been given a specific time. They didn't deliver and said that they had tried but no-one was in.

I called the delivery company, and the driver had taken a photo of the house he'd been to. The lady described it on the phone "It's a bungalow and......"

"whoa, I'll stop you there, he got the wrong street!"

We live on a loop, he'd driven down past my house and into the next avenue, the lad must have seen him go by.

Lady then wanted some 'clues' to help him find the house next time. So I gave her some pointers, various landmarks, finishing off with ....
    "But the easiest way is to read the sign at the top of the avenue" :roll:

The older I get, the better I was.

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

Agree on a lot of this. Zero hours/self employed contracts don't help. Funnily enough, the Amazon delivery guy who seems to come nearly every day for my landlord/neighbour in Wilts is a really cheerful bloke.

PO shoot themselves in the foot. Loads of stuff that needs (unnecessary) signing for then it gets returned to a sorting office miles away. Last time I went to the Cambridge one, I queued for 45 minutes having finally found somewhere to leave the car. Even if you pay the 70p to have it left at the local PO, tell them on a Friday and it's Monday afternoon before you can collect it. In the Highlands, the couriers do most of their residential deliveries in the evening (not unusual for stuff to come at 9pm) when people are home and there's far less traffic (not that there's much traffic at any time). I bet their delivery success rates are infinitely higher than most. That also allows people to be a delivery driver as a second job or sharing childcare with a partner. It seems to make total sense to me.

My delivery to local PO last week took 24 hours to get from Burgess Hill to Pudsey, Leeds and two days to redeliver to my local PO! The local PO did waive the 70p but then the bloke there was my next door neighbour. But really that timing doesn't bother me too much; I still remember the days of "Please wait 28 days for delivery". Really I like the local PO delivery service - would just help if I could have stuff delivered there directly.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    meursault wrote:

Bike is useless without a charger, I would be asking the shop to supply a charger as a matter of urgency.
    Isn't 28 days still the legally allowed time for mail order deliveries? Can't imagine waiting that long nowadays. The level of service expected is so high. I had a complaint on a Monday morning that something ordered on a next day service at 10pm on Friday hadn't been delivered. I had to explain what 'next working day' meant and that as he had ordered so late it would be packed on the Monday for Tuesday delivery. Of all the carriers we use FedEx are the most reliable. But, as mentioned above, carrier companies don't like 'ugly' parcels. TNT are better with bulky items generally but seem more hit and miss according to the area. They are having real problems at the moment as their computer system got hacked.
  • meursault
    Veronese68 wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Bike is useless without a charger, I would be asking the shop to supply a charger as a matter of urgency.
    Isn't 28 days still the legally allowed time for mail order deliveries? Can't imagine waiting that long nowadays. The level of service expected is so high. I had a complaint on a Monday morning that something ordered on a next day service at 10pm on Friday hadn't been delivered. I had to explain what 'next working day' meant and that as he had ordered so late it would be packed on the Monday for Tuesday delivery. Of all the carriers we use FedEx are the most reliable. But, as mentioned above, carrier companies don't like 'ugly' parcels. TNT are better with bulky items generally but seem more hit and miss according to the area. They are having real problems at the moment as their computer system got hacked.

Thanks for this information.

As a Di2 newbie, I had no idea it should have included a charger. I have just spoken to them and they agree it should have included charger. Also have issue with front wheel not aligning and rubbing on disc mechanism. Long story short, re Fedex (Noooooooo) back to them to get sorted and get charger.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Rolf F wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Yep, totally agree with these comments. My issue is, why say next day when it isn't?

Voltaire
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    meursault wrote:
    as a Di2 newbie, I had no idea it should have included a charger. I have just spoken to them and they agree it should have included charger. Also have issue with front wheel not aligning and rubbing on disc mechanism. Long story short, re Fedex (Noooooooo) back to them to get sorted and get charger.

I've not even got Di2 - but it's obvious you need a charger with it. Unless you just buy a new bike when the battery runs out.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    Fenix wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    as a Di2 newbie, I had no idea it should have included a charger. I have just spoken to them and they agree it should have included charger. Also have issue with front wheel not aligning and rubbing on disc mechanism. Long story short, re Fedex (Noooooooo) back to them to get sorted and get charger.

I've not even got Di2 - but it's obvious you need a charger with it. Unless you just buy a new bike when the battery runs out.

Or it had a standard USB charging port. Then you wouldn't need to buy a specific charger for it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    meursault wrote:
    My issue is, why say next day when it isn't?
    I never promise anything as being next day, my usual answer when pressed is to say it should be there the following day. Most of them are, but no courier company has a 100% success rate and it is really frustrating for the customer when they get it wrong. Of course sod's law says it's the important ones that go belly up.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    meursault wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    meursault wrote:

As a Di2 newbie, I had no idea it should have included a charger. I have just spoken to them and they agree it should have included charger. Also have issue with front wheel not aligning and rubbing on disc mechanism. Long story short, re Fedex (Noooooooo) back to them to get sorted and get charger.

Don't send the bike back to re-align the brake caliper. Youtube video will show you hot to do it (or, loosen the bolts on the caliper, apply the brake and tighten up the bolts (at same time) - this should centre the disc).

Or if cack handed, LBS will sort in seconds.
  • meursault
    Fenix wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Lol, indeed!

I suppose my thought process was like pedals, you have to supply your own.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Fenix wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Or it had a standard USB charging port. Then you wouldn't need to buy a specific charger for it.

No, it's the old apple trick of making a completely unique connector. I tried micro usb, mini usb, the old chunky usb, but I think it's Shimano specific.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Veronese68 wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    My issue is, why say next day when it isn't?
    I never promise anything as being next day, my usual answer when pressed is to say it should be there the following day. Most of them are, but no courier company has a 100% success rate and it is really frustrating for the customer when they get it wrong. Of course sod's law says it's the important ones that go belly up.

I think the excitement of getting a new bike, interfered with my patience. I'm not normally so agitated by such issues. It's all good. Now it's going back and being sorted, I've relaxed and will just use old bike in the meantime (But it needs new headset! annoying click). Thanks for your comments, I'm going to meditate...

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Dinyull wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Don't send the bike back to re-align the brake caliper. Youtube video will show you hot to do it (or, loosen the bolts on the caliper, apply the brake and tighten up the bolts (at same time) - this should centre the disc).

Or if cack handed, LBS will sort in seconds.

I was saying in other thread (Yes, there's more than one...) I don't mind attempting a bit of maintenance, but on a new bike I think it should be ridable with basic assembly. I appreciate your comment though, and may be coming to you for advice in the future!

Voltaire
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That may be so, but it's a two minute adjustment against sending a whole bike backwards and forwards.

You may be right in principle, but...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Not a bike, but I sent two identical boxes to Burkina Faso a while back with a well known courier, one took one week, the other six weeks to get there.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    cooldad wrote:
    That may be so, but it's a two minute adjustment against sending a whole bike backwards and forwards.

^This, it's literaly a 2 min job at the same end of the scale as adjusting your seatpost. It'll take longer boxing up for delivery than it would be to "fix".

And if the rotor is slightly out (which is quite quite common apparently) it'll be delivered back still rubbing.
  • meursault
    cooldad wrote:

True, I get what your saying, I just spoke to the store and they are saying sometimes the disc rotor can get damaged in transit, so they would rather deal with themselves.

Cheers!

Voltaire