Switching to tubeless, which pump?

roof30
roof30 Posts: 58
edited July 2017 in Road beginners
I've been riding a bit more seriously for around a year now and have made the decision to switch to tubeless wheels/tyres. Hunt 4 Seasons are being delivered on Friday (great reviews/price so it was a no brainer). Hunt send them out already set up at 50psi. My question is will I be able to get them to 75 - 80psi with my Park Tools track pump, or do I need to also buy a tubeless inflator to get the extra psi into the tyres?

Oddly, having looked at Google for a couple of hours now I can't seem to find the answer. There's plenty on what to do when you're setting up tubeless tyres for the first time (and I would buy a tubeless inflator under those circumstances), but can't find anything on adding more air to already inflated tyres.

Any help/advice most welcome as I'm scratching my head on this one.

All the best,
Ruth
Cannondale Synapse AL 105, Specialized Sirrus Comp

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You'll be fine with a track pump if the tyres are already mounted on the wheels. Most track pumps will do 140+psi
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • roof30
    You'll be fine with a track pump if the tyres are already mounted on the wheels. Most track pumps will do 140+psi

Many thanks for this. At least I don't have to buy a tubeless inflator just yet then.
  • coops1967
    coops1967 Posts: 99
    Once your tubeless tyres are seated on the bead as yours are... any old pump will do - a mini hand pump will get them up to 80psi but obviously your track pump is an easier option ;-)

If you had Stans Notubres rims you could probably never need any airshot air tank or compressor etc - i inflated tubeless tyres first time on stans notubes grail rims with a track pump... didn't even bother with soapy liquid to make them 'move'easier etc.

Note - youtube has many videos on fitting tubeless tyres... i'd recommend following the ones that do NOT advise putting in the sealant first time... i.e. get the tyre on the rim, and get it inflated so the bead pops up into place properly. Only then deflate slowly, remove core from the valve and then inject the sealnt through the valve into tyre, core back in and reinflate . Just like a car tyre, once they've been inflated to seat the bead, they will (or should unless a dodgy so called tubeless ready rim that's atrociously designed) remain seated - you may have seen car tyres needing to be prised loose from the rim seat to get them off. So you can deflate completely and it will reinflate ok with a regular track pump - the airshot inflator or compressors are needed for getting the bead to pop out to the rim - the bigger the tyre and air volume it requires or the less well designed the rim... the more likely you'll need an airshot tank for that initial inflation.

Get yourself some 'worm' plug kits and some flexy super glue see clip below for roadside repairs of really big holes...

https://youtu.be/OfJXNQPZbJ0
  • roof30
    coops1967 wrote:
    Once your tubeless tyres are seated on the bead as yours are... any old pump will do - a mini hand pump will get them up to 80psi but obviously your track pump is an easier option ;-)

If you had Stans Notubres rims you could probably never need any airshot air tank or compressor etc - i inflated tubeless tyres first time on stans notubes grail rims with a track pump... didn't even bother with soapy liquid to make them 'move'easier etc.

Note - youtube has many videos on fitting tubeless tyres... i'd recommend following the ones that do NOT advise putting in the sealant first time... i.e. get the tyre on the rim, and get it inflated so the bead pops up into place properly. Only then deflate slowly, remove core from the valve and then inject the sealnt through the valve into tyre, core back in and reinflate . Just like a car tyre, once they've been inflated to seat the bead, they will (or should unless a dodgy so called tubeless ready rim that's atrociously designed) remain seated - you may have seen car tyres needing to be prised loose from the rim seat to get them off. So you can deflate completely and it will reinflate ok with a regular track pump - the airshot inflator or compressors are needed for getting the bead to pop out to the rim - the bigger the tyre and air volume it requires or the less well designed the rim... the more likely you'll need an airshot tank for that initial inflation.

Get yourself some 'worm' plug kits and some flexy super glue see clip below for roadside repairs of really big holes...

https://youtu.be/OfJXNQPZbJ0

Thanks Coops, that's all appreciated. Hunt send their wheels out already seated, and at 50psi so it's just a case of inflating them a little more. Will use the track pump and then invest in a tubeless inflator if I really feel I need one at some other point. Frankly I can't wait for them to arrive as I threw my third spoke on the rear wheel in a month on my return commute.

Youtube has been my teacher as someone returning to riding. Excellent informative videos, all of which have taught me basic bike maintenance and workshop fettling.
  • If you ever need to reseat a tubeless tyre i have found a CO2 cartridge works very well
  • roof30
    If you ever need to reseat a tubeless tyre i have found a CO2 cartridge works very well

Thanks, someone at work said the same thing today. Always carry a CO2 cartridge with me so will definitely keep on hand.

Threw two more spokes on my current (awful) wheelset yesterday so have decided to take the Hunts to my LBS this weekend for them to set up and fit - along with new rotors and cassette. Thankfully my LBS are amazing, both in service and standard of work, so I'll be able to pick my bike up ready to go.