Replace bolts along with bearings?

Coxy_UK
Coxy_UK Posts: 297
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 2016 Giant Reign 1.5 Ltd and bearings are shot somewhere, hard to pinpoint.

I have a biking holiday bought and paid for so need it sorted asap.

Took bike to LBS who do have good rep now for maintenance, and guy there said they always replace the bolts as well as the bearings. Problem is, can get hold of bearings but apparently Giant will not have stock of the upper and lower bolts and bearings kit for about another 4 months!!!

I will call around tomorrow hoping a retailer somewhere has them, but what about actually just replacing the bearings and using the old bolts? Is that a big no no in general, or more specifically to the Maestro suspension or something?
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
<font color="blue">My Stumpy FSR Pic 1</font id="blue">
<font color="red">My Stumpy FSR Pic 2</font id="red">

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure how you can replace a bolt with a bearing, it's a logical impossibility.

Now replacing a bush with a bearing is another matter, and clearly a different bolt may be needed, I'd be surprised if someone wasn't offering a kit, tried eBay?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Coxy_UK
    Bolts and bearings together... instead of just the bearings. The kits Giant sell include bearings and pivots.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bolt doesn't wear (unless the bearing has seized completely and spun on it), no need to replace the bolt when replacing the bearings - just a waste of money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Coxy_UK
    I spoke to a mechanic at another shop, this time a Giant Store, he said they change bolts at same time because kit comes with them, so everything swapped over new, no other reason.

I think bloke at my LBS said something about wear on alloy bolts.

But basically I am out of options. I think buy decent Enduro Max bearings and have them fitted with exisiting bolts.
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    All of the suspension bearings bar one set are stock numbers available at any bearing shop for nicks.
    The one set are flanged and you can source them in double row from Enduro suppliers.
    Giant probably supply bolts as sometimes the lower pivots can corrode the axles and the bearings stick.
    This also makes them quite difficult to remove sometimes.
  • Coxy_UK
    Oh which are flanged?

I am looking at buying...

4x - 6900 LLU MAX Enduro Bike Bearing 10x22x6

2x - 608 LLU MAX Enduro Bike Bearing 8x22x7

2x - 6802 LLU MAX Enduro Bike Bearing 15x24x5

4x - 6902 LLU MAX Enduro Bike Bearing 15x28x7