What tyres can I use?

philcubed
philcubed Posts: 260
edited July 2017 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi, I am doing up a 1990 child's peugeot racer for my daughter to ride in next years Eroica. Don't want to spend too much as she will grow out of it in a couple of years. The bike has 25-540/541 tyres on it at the moment, but they need replacing. I have found some 23-540 and 37-540 tyres on ebay, but don't know if they will be too narrow (23) or wide for the rims (37). I can't find any markings on the rims to give the size of them. Any ideas?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Surely it's more a case of whether the tyres will clear the frame, not whether the tyres will fit on the rims, as they both probably will.
  • philcubed
    Ok, hadn't thought of that ( not used to these weird sizes, being a mtb'er!). So I'd best go for the 23-540 then. Thanks.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    That age of road bike would probably have been designed with narrow tyres in mind. 23c or even 21c. So the 37c ones will quite likely not fit in the frame!
  • philcubed
    Thanks, I've ordered the 23s.
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 125
    Doesn't the bike need to be pre 1987?
    looking into the +1
  • philcubed
    Yes, but for kids they are more relaxed about it. There were plenty of kids on modern bikes on this years 25 mile ride, so I figure this bike from 1990 is going to be ok, especially as it looks the part with the shifters on the down tube.
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 125
    Ah - did not know that but that is great - and agree that your choice should be more than fine.
    looking into the +1
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Yeah I didn't realise the Eroica was such a mixed event until this year when I happened to be up on the High Peak trail on the day. It looked a really great event, not all vintage road bikes (which I love) but all sorts of old bikes and a real mix of riders.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • philcubed
    It was a great time (helped by the gorgeous weather). Not sure you'd spend all 3 days there full time. We spent a fair amount of money on the fairground rides for the kids, which is probably why they are keen to go again next year! The (25 mile) ride itself was very well organised, friendly and interesting seeing all the different bikes and outfits. Basically for me it was a 4 hour chat catching up with some old friends I hadn't seen for years, thoroughly enjoyable, and will be back next year!