Cannondale CAAD12 2017 - What size do you ride?

Plundertaker
Plundertaker Posts: 12
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
I have been shopping around for a new aluminium frame road bike and have decided that the Cannondale CAAD12 Ultegra 2017 is the bike for me. When I visited my LBS, which is a Cannondale dealer, I was able to sit on a variety of frame sizes to get a feel for the overall geometry of the bike. I was also able to take both a 54cm and 56cm size CAAD12 out for a quick spin to see how they felt on the road.

My current road bike is a 56cm Genesis Volant which I have always felt slightly stretched out on. The bike shop assistant informed me that Cannondale frames tend to size up small compared to most other brands and given the straighter top tube might result in me being better off going down to a size 54cm frame.

I am just over 5' 10" (179cm) tall and have an inseam of 32" (81cm) which places me in-between the 54cm and 56cm frames. Having sat on both frame sizes, the 54cm felt more comfortable as I was less stretched out. The shop assistant also agreed that my overall riding position looked better on the size 54cm frame.

I was just wondering what size of Cannondale CAAD12 other people are riding in relation to height and inseam length?

Comments

• There's a bit of a discussion of older models here; presume the geometry wouldn't have changed?
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    I'm 5'8" and my CAAD10 is a 54. It fits well but I wouldn't hate having a bit more seatpost showing which you'd get.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Hargreaves have 2017 CAAD12 56cm for £899.
  • That seems like a great deal. I see that it is listed in the 'shop soiled' area of the website. Unfortunately it doesn't give any further details regarding the condition of the bike. Still a great price for what I gather is a really great bike....
  • Hendrix2430
    Hendrix2430 Posts: 119
    edited July 2017
    I think at 5'8 you'd want a 52... especially a cannondale

EDIT: Oops! :lol: Got confused with another poster... at 5'10 the 54 or 56 could do, but I reckon with your measurements the 54 is better suited.
  • I think that I am going to opt for the 54cm frame in the end having had the opportunity to go for a further test ride. The 56cm frame just feels really long underneath me with very little seat post showing....
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I'm about 6' and ride a 56cm CAAD 12.
    Before my CAADs I had a 56cm genesis flyer.
  • img_87
    img_87 Posts: 60
    I'm 6' and ride a 56 supersix. Amount of seatpost showing surely shouldn't be a deciding factor. Buy the one that fits
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    I think at 5'8 you'd want a 52... especially a cannondale

EDIT: Oops! :lol: Got confused with another poster... at 5'10 the 54 or 56 could do, but I reckon with your measurements the 54 is better suited.

Based on stack, reach and top tube length, no. I'd want, and own, a 54. I could easily ride a 52 as well though, just with a 120mm stem instead of a 110mm one.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Ended up opting for the size 54cm frame in the end.

The bike definitely has a more aggressive riding position than my previous one but after a bit of tweaking I think that the size 54cm frame was the right choice for me. Thank you for all of your contributions.