26er Frame Suggestions

jasps
jasps Posts: 27
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
My ten year old MTB frame has split at the head tube recently so I am looking to buy a new 26er frame.

I thought all I had to do was simply choose a new frame and transfer all the component parts from the old frame to the new one. However, things have obviously moved on since I bought the bike back in 2007 and my choice for a new 26er frame seems to be limited.

I just want a frame, the components on the old bike are all of a high spec and still have many years use left in them. My current (now broken) frame has disc brakes and a fork with 100mm travel.

I don't have a particular budget in mind, just looking for suggestions. I have looked at an On-One Inbred and this is my default choice at the moment, however, I had one before and I wasn't overly keen on it but am willing to give it another go.

Thanks.

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    edited June 2017
    Pipe dream and cotic do steel 26er frames.

Is your head tube tapered or straight?

There's a few here too, I picked up a cube 26er frame from them for the same reasons, took just over a week to arrive.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/hardtail-26-8669

Choice is limited though as you've noticed. Especially if you have a straight steer fork. I got lucky with a new 2014 model cube analog frame for €80.
    Guess it must have just been laying around in a warehouse somewhere so they were selling it off.
  • jasps
    Head tube is straight.

Thanks, I'll take a look.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Doesn't matter about a straight steerer tube as you can get a crown race reducer that will fit your fork.

I'm getting parts together for a hardtail and going to buy a Dartmoor hornet frame they will work with 26 or 27.5" wheels.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why get a new frame when there are plenty of good quality 26" frames in good condition going on evil-bay? Personally if fitting older components and using an old wheel size I can't see the point in spending so much more for a new frame.

That said, most 26" HT frames will run 27.5" wheels, so you could modernise later.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Why get a new frame when there are plenty of good quality 26" frames in good condition going on evil-bay? Personally if fitting older components and using an old wheel size I can't see the point in spending so much more for a new frame.

That said, most 26" HT frames will run 27.5" wheels, so you could modernise later.

yes mine is going to evolve from being my work commuter bike for a few weeks into a hardcore hard tail to go along side my FS bike but I do see your point. that's why I was buying a new frame.

The op should look for a good used boardman mtb frame or something else on ebay maybe?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Look for a used Kinesis/Merlin (branded by Merlin but made by Kinesis) frame on Ebay. Plenty around and they ride great, much nicer than Inbred.
  • jasps
    I've found a used Kinesis Maxlight XC2 that I like the look of, happy that it is just going to be a straight transfer of components apart from the fork. Will my 100mm travel fork be ok with this frame? After looking at a few other builds, seems most are using 120mm travel fork.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    100mm will work just fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.