friday old men are always young enough to learn

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I take mine to the Romanians at Tesco when I can no longer see the paintwork or seats. £15 inside and out, plus a fiver tip cos it's so grotty.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,316
    hopkinb wrote:
    I take mine to the Romanians at Tesco when I can no longer see the paintwork or seats. £15 inside and out, plus a fiver tip cos it's so grotty.

Park the car in my street. That'll pi$$ the neighbours off.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    "Washing Cars", is that a thing?
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:

Apparently.

I hope you are sitting down - the sun has popped out.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    Garry H wrote:

Yep, just bought a new jet wash :)
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I have a jet wash. Thought it was for washing the kids.

Stopped raining over here and the wind has gone. Midges are out in force though.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    hopkinb wrote:

Car washers round these here parts tend not to be from Romanian extraction. They tend to look more like members of the Taliban.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,422
    hopkinb wrote:
    You've been diddled mate. The Albanians round here do inside and out for a tenner :)

Busy day and just collecting Stropteen so will update when I've opened the various packages that have arrived in the post over the last couple of days...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    Anyone notice that ballysmate is hanging round like a bad smell lately?
    Get a life Bally. :roll:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    seanoconn wrote:

That's it, I'm flouncing.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Again?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Car washers round these here parts tend not to be from Romanian extraction. They tend to look more like members of the Taliban.

Have you moved to Luton?
  • ballysmate
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Again?

I'm back.
    Flounce over.
  • ballysmate
    Pinno wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Have you moved to Luton?

It may be shite around here but Luton????
    FCuk me, no.
  • pinno
    It's quite clear that MF has not travelled domestically enough when he mentions Alsager, Stoke and a few other Gallic locations in a certain vein but never Luton.
    Maybe he trained there. Perhaps it's a deep. dark memory that only the bravest/most stupid shrink would ever delve into.
    Maybe it explains him.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    I'm with you V68. Briefly owned a black car but decided it was a disaster as every spec of dirt or slight scratch showed. Silver or grey is great - ideally with leather seats. If only I could train Mrs MRS not to put apple cores or banana skins in the door pockets or her thumb print in the middle of the rear view mirror....

This one is the worst possible combo - metallic black paint, and pale beige leather interior. Both show all the marks.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    Yay, it's Wheelspinner. :D

Nice morning?
  • Wheelspinner
    It is. Cool, but sunny.
  • pinno
    Found that gadget yet?
  • Wheelspinner
    Yeah bought one to try. Get what you pay for, so it may be returned for a replacement already, sounds like they forgot to fit a bearing or bushing in it somewhere.

It works ok, and will do the job for what I want. Slower speed than I expected, but easy to use. I still apply the polish by hand. Gave it a go on the ute first, which is plain white paint, and certainly makes things easier to buff the shine up, but not perfect. Still needed to finish it manually, but at least that was easy.
  • pinno
    I thought age and wisdom and a sore back would perhaps make you see the wisdom and therefore the futility of it.
    Surely life is too short for polishing cars?
  • Wheelspinner
    I don't make a habit of it. Car(s) get washed maybe once a month, give or take, but polished maybe once a year if that. Three weeks of long driving and parking at the beach had it looking pretty shite, covered in bugs guts and salt spray, so it was time to give it a tidy up.

I don't mind the fact I need to do it, just looking to minimise the effort involved. Out here the local places are manned generally by Sri Lankans or Lebanese, and they can be a bit, er, cavalier about doing the job properly. I've had more than a few extra scuffs and scratches appear when I've taken a car in there...
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    Pinno wrote:

Nice morning?
    Which roughly translated means..
    "sorry for calling you a w@nker although I was kind of joking." :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Wheelspinner
    Nah he's fine. Takes a bit more than that to offend me. :-)
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Nice morning?
    Which roughly translated means..
    "sorry for calling you a w@nker although I was kind of joking." :D
    I think Pinno is a woman. Far too much verbiage and never apologises, even when clearly in the wrong :)
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I think Pinno is a woman. Far too much verbiage and never apologises, even when clearly in the wrong :)

Hmmm... that reminds me of certain person in a few threads in CS.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    If anyone is offended that easily in Australia I think they should emigrate.
    Sell the car Spinner.
  • pinno
    Yep, buy a reliable old banger.
  • Wheelspinner
    Veronese68 wrote:
    If anyone is offended that easily in Australia I think they should emigrate.
    Sell the car Spinner.
    I'm seriously considering selling it. Worth sod all as a trade-in, and nobody here buys these used in private sale. Spent a small fortune keeping it in good nick and roadworthy, which would be wasted money if I do flog it. Plus, what to replace it with?
  • Wheelspinner
    Pinno wrote:
    Yep, buy a reliable old banger.

I do a lot of driving. Life's too short to spend that much of it in an old banger... :D

Besides, we have a ute for hack duty.