bradley the rower now .

Comments

• wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    So the reverse Bond? Hamish Bond, that is, not a form of covalent bond...

Edit for clarification:
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/Hamish_Bond

2012 Olympic gold in rowing
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I reckon he could get a rowing boat on that Skoda.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    there are a few rower that have switch to cycling . but cant think of any the have gone the other way . while they are both similar in the physical demands , rowing is a lot more technical and take years of training to get to a high standard .
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Cant help but smile when he mentions his numbers, im sure that makes him laugh as well
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Training with James cracknell = tv series
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    I know a bit about rowing.

Not a chance.

Though I'd ask "rower 63" on here: he knows an awful lot about rowing.
  • FocusZing
    He has the cardiovascular, leg strength and three years of dedication. He could go in a four, Cav could go for gold as well as the cox.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Whilst there must be some beneficial crossover fitness stuff going on, rowers do tend to have just a bit more bulk about them than stick insect cyclists
  • rick_chasey
    He'd be lightweight I would imagine.

I mean, he's no Mo Sbihi.
  • tim000

Not a chance.

did a lot when I was younger . who did you row for? . we might even have raced each other . rowed from 1982 -2003
  • tim000

says he`s trying to get to 100kg :shock:
  • rick_chasey
    tim000 wrote:

Not a chance.

did a lot when I was younger . who did you row for? . we might even have raced each other . rowed from 1982 -2003

Coxed obviously - cantabs here. Mid to late '00s

Rower 63 is Mosley (phwoar).
  • tim000
    tim000 wrote:

Not a chance.

Coxed obviously - cantabs here. Mid to late '00s

Rower 63 is Mosley (phwoar).
    I rowed for Northwich , but did a season with agecroft . only raced mosley once I think . dead heated twice at Worcester regatta and lost the re row 2001 :?
  • rick_chasey
    Not bad! Which boat?!?
  • tim000
    open 8 as it was called then . raced at Henley that year . but got beat first round
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    A bit delusional... he can churn out the times, but it takes years to actually be able to deliver those times in the water... I've tried a bit of rowing in a boat of 8, it's bloody difficult to get the stroke consistently right.

He could have a chance in a Jamaican boat, not in team GB. If he wants to go to Tokyo so badly, he should have stuck to what he knows best
    left the forum March 2023
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Wouldn't he stand a better chance of performing in the triathlon, rather than rowing? :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ugo.santalucia
    Wouldn't he stand a better chance of performing in the triathlon, rather than rowing? :lol:

I don't think at his age he stands a chance of being selected for the Olympics in any sport other than cycling and even there, it would be an uphill struggle.

I think he should forget about the olympics, find a rowing club that take him and enjoy racing in the National scene
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Christ, I hope he dont 'discover' Zwift, Ive only just managed to cut it with the A cats
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I remember watching a chat show on TV many years ago. On it were Redgrave , Pinsent and Frank Bruno. The rowers made the heavyweight boxer took small!
  • rick_chasey
    lesfirth wrote:
    I remember watching a chat show on TV many years ago. On it were Redgrave , Pinsent and Frank Bruno. The rowers made the heavyweight boxer took small!

They were monsters, Pinsent especially.

Mo is even more impressive apaz.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719

I had to google it but Wiggins Tour weight is about the limit for light weight rowing. I agree with you though there is no chance of him making a genuine run at Olympic qualification, sounds like he's just winding us up.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Zero chance, literally zero chance.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Maybe he could get a gig on the New Zealand Americas Cup boat.
  • FocusZing
    edited July 2017
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCqlDPtEP1qV7VogSlqaVeIr3hnoeb0-kN8OIrsndeQ69uA23A
    In July 2008, between graduating from the University of Wales and starting at University College Plymouth, Glover, at her mother's suggestion, applied to the Sporting Giants scheme, whereby she was placed on GB Rowing Team's "Start" programme under coach Paul Stannard at Minerva Bath Rowing Club in Bath, Somerset. Thus, whilst attending University College in Plymouth, she transferred her 'teaching placement' to Oldfield School, Bath. After winning Olympic gold she confessed to having achieved the Sporting Giant criterion of 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m) by standing on tiptoes while being measured – she is 5 ft 10 in (1.78 m).

At the 2012 Olympic Games, in partnership with Heather Stanning, she set the Olympic record and won the gold medal in the women's coxless pairs, the first gold medal won by Team GB at the 2012 Games and the first Olympic gold medal for British women's rowing She was fourth at the British Indoor Rowing Championships on 26 October 2008.[30]

So in 2008 Helen Glover applied for sporting Giants and made 2012. She didn't start rowing until she was 22.

I would argue Wiggins is perfect for the challenge as he has experience of competition under extreme pressure.
  • ugo.santalucia
    He should be a bit more humble and avoid mentioning the Olympics. There are rowers out there who are younger, fitter, bigger, meaner, actually know how to row in a boat and will never make the Olympics... it's a bit insulting to them to be honest
  • I think the funniest thing about all of this is Ugo taking his Olympic quip seriously

Such po-faced reaction is why he comes out with stuff like that
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't for one second think Brad was serious. Lighten up guys.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I also think he does not believe in it himself, but then why saying it? Surely a lot of rowers out there will think he is an absolute t-w-a-t... but then again, maybe that's what he enjoys doing... saying something outrageous and have a laugh at the reaction...

Bit of a sad way to seek limelight when the lights are fading?

It seems to be a general trend, that of PROs not being able to retire gracefully, open a bike shop or become a directeur sportif in a PRO team, just get on with life like Merckx, Moser and all the greats did.
    Is it a consequence of the information society, that folks can't live without being famous anymore?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Did you think he was going to call the raffle tickets on the Champs too Ugo ? It's Just a joke.