Navigating the Options

n_d_fox
n_d_fox Posts: 3
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all... my very first post on this forum (bike forum in general)...

I've been out of the scene for a long time, like 10 years at least due to having a family, busy job etc etc etc... I have decided though that i need to get myself a bit fitter and get back on a bike. I cant believe the changes in bikes from when I was last involved, different wheel sizes, huge advances in kit and a dropper post !?

I turn 40 this year so I'm not looking to be dropping off big downhill routes (I don't have the skill or bottle) but I do want something that I can jump on around the street, down a canal tow path, round the park but also take off into national parks for decent trails etc. If it gets a bit rough and fast then I want something that can cope basically.

I'm set on the idea of a hardtail as I feel it will be idea for all of the above "needs" and after visiting a local shop I'm sort of settled on a budget. Circa £1000 for a bike is where I'm at, the local dealer runs a range of GT, Giant and Connondale bikes and at that level I'm really liking the look of the 2017 Giant Fathom 1... spec wise its pretty well turned out but I'm wondering if you guys and gals had any other suggestions for that budget? I've looked at all sorts of bikes and brands, some didn't exist last I was looking :lol:

Also, I'm aware that we're closing in on the 2nd half of 2017 so am I likely to see a bunch of 2018 bikes being released soon and in turn current bikes reducing in price?

Finally, helmets... whats a decent make / model and i know you shouldn't scrimp on these things but whats a reasonable amount to be paying?

Sorry for the long winded post... just lots of thoughts and questions to get my head around...

Thanks, Nige

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    At that price this is much better value.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... e-pro-29er

As for helmets, the one that fits best.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Halfords, Decathlon and Go Outdoors are the go to stores for best value for anything below about £1000, or you can look at Pauls Cycles and see what bargains you can pick up.

Consider a good XC FS bike as well, easier to keep going longer with less effort!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have a Carrera Fury from Halfords which was £480. Considering it has a SRAM 1 x 11, Air fork and weighs in under 14kg I have been pretty happy. Has taken everything I have thrown as it so far.

That said, the Rockriders and decathalon are really nice looking bikes.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Yeh helmets are very much about fit and comfort.
    Go to somewhere that has lots and try a load on.
  • n_d_fox
    n_d_fox Posts: 3
    Thanks for the responses guys