Retul insoles. Are they worth it?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
My LBS is selling Retul custom insoles. They are £90 a pair. Are they worth it?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    To a handful of people with money to burn and a particular problem they address, perhaps. To 99.9% of the population, absolutely not.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I got some insoles from Cyclefit several years ago and they have been amazing, one of the best cycling purchases I've made.

Though I should caveat that with the fact I have quite dodgy/unstable knee joints with super high arches (when making them the cyclefit guy even commented it was one of the highest arch supports he has seen with the custom insoles).
  • on-yer-bike
    Veronese68 wrote:
    To a handful of people with money to burn and a particular problem they address, perhaps. To 99.9% of the population, absolutely not.
    My problem is tingling, numb toes. If they alleviated that, then I would pay. But there's no guarantee.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    Veronese68 wrote:
    My problem is tingling, numb toes. If they alleviated that, then I would pay. But there's no guarantee.

Carbon soled shoes do that... you make them more compliant inside, you lose the benefits of a stiff carbon sole, then you might as well get a pair of cheap rubber soled SPD shoes, which is what I do for rides > 200 km
    left the forum March 2023
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Are we talking about custom molded insoles, like those by Sidas? They can be necessary for some with two big caveats. The first us that they depend on the skill of the fitter (and there's only one good one in the UK that I'd trust to do mine). The second is that they'll start to lose shape after aroubd 100+ days of use (this can be mitigated by using a dense foam support, but the last person I saw use that technique was me 7 years ago).

For most a good off the shelf solution from the likes of Specialized or Superfeet will be every bit as good and last longer (you can also modify them like adding arch support or incorporating a metatarsal button).

If the issue is number toes then it's typically down to too big a shoe and over tightening. A volume reducer and basic footbed is typically all you need for this scenario. If the numbness starts at the second or third toe then it will be due to lack of support for the metatarsals.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • on-yer-bike
    Grill wrote:
    Are we talking about custom molded insoles, like those by Sidas? They can be necessary for some with two big caveats. The first us that they depend on the skill of the fitter (and there's only one good one in the UK that I'd trust to do mine). The second is that they'll start to lose shape after aroubd 100+ days of use (this can be mitigated by using a dense foam support, but the last person I saw use that technique was me 7 years ago).

For most a good off the shelf solution from the likes of Specialized or Superfeet will be every bit as good and last longer (you can also modify them like adding arch support or incorporating a metatarsal button).

If the issue is number toes then it's typically down to too big a shoe and over tightening. A volume reducer and basic footbed is typically all you need for this scenario. If the numbness starts at the second or third toe then it will be due to lack of support for the metatarsals.
    Yes like Sidas. Actually due to too small shoes and therefore too tight (but long enough), I was riding with them almost undone. Ive gone up half a size with a Specialized medium insole and my feet feel much better. Now to sort out my backside discomfort.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • thebikerdude93
    thebikerdude93 Posts: 15
    edited August 2017
    I have actually never heard of this make before and I have worn a lot of different insole brands.

I would go for these ones if I was you they are really good for cycling

http://shoewawa.com/product/footreviver-plantar-fasciitis-insoles/

:)
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,385
    I get my insoles bespoke made, for my feet by qualified podiatrists for £60 per pair. Just replaced some that are 5 years old and worn every single day and they still have plenty of life left in them . . . Northampton University School of Podiatry if you're interested. Really sorted my dodgy knees for running, rugby and cycling.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Essentially as Grill said.

I had Sidas custom insoles fitted into a pair of shoes (as part of a fitting service on a bike) - when I eventually took them out, I replaced them with a pair of specialized insoles - which were actually better for me. Specialized insoles are excellent, especially when replacing Sidi insoles - which for me are awful.
  • I have actually never heard of this make before and I have worn a lot of different insole brands.

Useful
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles