Continental 4 Season vs 4000S Fitting

timmyotool
timmyotool Posts: 172
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

After a bit of advice on whether 4000s are easier to fit than 4 seasons?
I currently have 4 seasons on my Pro Lite Revo Disc wheels, and as much as I love them, I hate removing and fitting them (the rims fault, not the tyre).
I'm willing to take risk on more more punctures if changing them is any easier.

Thanks,

Comments

• flycop2000
    flycop2000 Posts: 55
    I have the 4 season tyres on ultegra rims and agree that they are a pain to put back on the rims, I broke a tyre lever trying to get the last couple of inches on the rim. I found using soapy water on the rim makes things much easier. Try getting hold of a very small tube, the type that free samples of ladies creams / magic potions come in and fill with washing up liquid to carry in your saddle pack. If you need to repair a puncture out on the road just mix the washing up liquid with some of the contents of your water bottle.
  • Never had 4 seasons so can't compare, but I've never had a problem with various sizes of 4000s on various different wheels. And I'm crap at changing tubes...
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    timmyotool wrote:
    Hi,

After a bit of advice on whether 4000s are easier to fit than 4 seasons?
    I currently have 4 seasons on my Pro Lite Revo Disc wheels, and as much as I love them, I hate removing and fitting them (the rims fault, not the tyre).
    I'm willing to take risk on more more punctures if changing them is any easier.

Thanks,

Those Revo's can be evil can't they? I couldn't mount some Vittoria Randonneurs on mine, but managed to get some Hyper Voyagers on ok. Conversely, l found Challenge Gravel Grinders went on easy. I want to go to Schwalbe G-one or G-one speeds (tubeless), but have heard they're also a 'mare to mount :roll: Otherwise, great wheels :wink:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    4s has re-enforced sidewalks where the s2k doesn't, which means the 4s is tougher to get on and off (especially on tubeless rims where it becomes a complete bastard...)
  • timmyotool
    timmyotool Posts: 172
    Thanks all for the advice and tips!
    I'll go for the 4000's, I'd rather have twice the punctures and half the effort to change the tyre, so this seems like the way to go.
  • These rims are known for it, I run Open Pave on mine and they were a bugger to fit. Bought a VAR tyre tool which helps.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Not sure you are going to have an easier time with GP 4000S II I think the issue is the rims as micrographia above has said.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    OP, make sure you order a VAR tyre lever as has been mentioned when you order the tyres. The VAR really is the bee's knees when it comes to awkward tyre/rim combos but it does have a little knack to learn. In your case, it is not just about the tyres as I had no problems at all with the Gatorskins on some older wheels. The GP4000sIIs are very good for fitting on most rims though, specially with the VAR.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Yep probably more to do with your rims. The GP4000S will be a little easier to fit with it's paper thin sidewalls but they might still be s struggle when paired to your rims. They're a great summer tyre anyhow.

I've covered 1000's of miles on both the 4000's and 4 Season tyres. Both are great. For a fast commute, weekend club ride, chain gang, all round high performing tyre the 4 Seasons are pretty much spot on, all the tyre you could ever ask for. Only marginally "slower" than the 4000's and way better protection.

timmyotool wrote:
    I'd rather have twice the punctures and half the effort to change the tyre
    I wouldn't...