Longer crank arms RSX

supers
supers Posts: 33
edited June 2017 in Workshop
I bought a Peugoet Comp 500 1995 a few months ago, wonderful bike but it feels a little cramped. I have long legs and the crank arms are only 170mm. I've bought a new seat post which has helped, but if I lift it anymore, the drop to the handlebars is too extreme. It's a great bike to ride, but would like it to be more comfortable to get more use out of it.

I believe it has an RSX double crankset, with exage 300 mechs and a 7 speed casette

The 2 options i can see are to:

1. Buy new and longer crankarms
2. Buy a new crankset

so...

Is there a modern crankarm that would fit?
What would be my options in buying a new crankset? I believe the BB is a square taper.

Thnaks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Most 'longer' cranks will probably only give you an extra 10mm at best. How tall are you and what size is the bike?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Longer cranks might be suitable for you but won't solve the problem of sitting cramped, you need a bigger/more modern frame.
  • supers
    supers Posts: 33
    Imposter wrote:
    Most 'longer' cranks will probably only give you an extra 10mm at best. How tall are you and what size is the bike?

I'm 193 CM, the bike is a 58cm with a 58cm top tube, which is longer than my CAAD8, but it feels more cramped.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Sounds too small then - you're about 3" taller than me and I'd ride a 58 in most brands.

I agree that cranks won't make that much difference - I've never tried it as 172.5s suit me well but I've heard people trying different ones and not really feeling any different until you go to really long or really short.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If you are 193cm tall then - assuming you have normal proportions - your crank arms are too short. It is also likely that the stem is too.

You need to decide how much you like the bike and how much investment to make to get it to fit. Assuming it's a quill stem you need to source a longer one - or convert it to a modern threadless design.

Changing square taper cranks and/or chainset should be easy enough - ebay should suffice here. A modern external BB and chainset set might work but you could run into issues with chain-line.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Unless you plan to ride it for long rides (> 100 miles), I would leave it alone. It's likely going to be a waste of money
    left the forum March 2023