Freehub sticky. Again!

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited June 2017 in The workshop
I had 8-speed Shimano HG31 chainset, with the Freehub body. Back in January last year, after about 18-months owning the bike, the freehub began to get "sticky", i.e. when coasting, the freewheel would start to push forwards, instead of sitting still and freewheeling. This would cause the chain to become slack and then come off altogether (very annoying when coasting!).

So I replaced the Freehub with a new one, and lo and behold we're here again about 18-months later and the same thing is happening. Freewheeling has become "sticky" to the point that in higher gears, the chain is pushed slack and comes off.

I didn't know freehubs lasted such a short time!? Is it me, should I be doing something that I'm not?
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Thin the grease out with some light oil, there is no need to disassemble the item to do this. Drip the oil into the gap between the fixed and moving parts. Easiest to do this with the wheel flat on the ground and the cassette removed. I have rejuvenated some very old freehubs doing this. I have on occasion used white spirit to initially thin the grease.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237
    I don't like Shimano freehubs as you cannot open them and service them as you do with other designs... so you never know where you are as regards to wear. They should run on oil.

Ultimately they are inexpensive, so probably best to just get another one
    left the forum March 2023
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Thanks guys - I'll try the oil technique first just to get me going again. At the moment I have to make sure I don't stop pedalling at any time (had to stop three times to put the chain back on yesterday)... must keep thinking of Dory...

Just keep pedalling, just keep pedalling… :lol:

pZLxv.gif
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava