Tour de Pharmacy - WTAF

bobmcstuff
bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
edited July 2017 in Pro race
This came up in my social media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd77fHyD-BM

Seriously WTF!!

Even if it turns out to be funny (doubtful) I am not sure I'll be able to overlook the anachronisms... EPO wasn't even a big thing in 1982!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It doesn't look like a classic does it ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Adam Samberg has done a previous sports spoof like this for HBO about tennis (7 Days in Hell). It was OK but largely forgettable. I'm guessing I'm the only one here who saw it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Adam Samberg has done a previous sports spoof like this for HBO about tennis (7 Days in Hell). It was OK but largely forgettable. I'm guessing I'm the only one here who saw it.

As I recall, it was Adam's more successful twin brother Andy.

Edit: and j may have been in an unusually bad mood, but it was bobbins. Still can't figure out how they got the folk in board that they did.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Snowblind
    Snowblind Posts: 75
    I'm looking forward to it; I think it'll be quite amusing. I think if the comedic content is 'too close for comfort', that may suggest there's still more of a problem than people care to admit...

It's hilarious that Lance appears to be on-board with it.

If you can't laugh at your own sport, what can you laugh at?
  • bobmcstuff
    Lance just wants money, I think...

It's not too close for comfort at all, it just looks daft. And full of anachronisms which will trigger my rain man tendencies!

I'm generally OK with Andy Samberg, I watch Brooklyn 99 from time to time and it's pretty lightweight material, entertaining but forgettable.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    This came up in my social media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd77fHyD-BM

Seriously WTF!!

Even if it turns out to be funny (doubtful) I am not sure I'll be able to overlook the anachronisms... EPO wasn't even a big thing in 1982!

Yeah, Belgium Mix was only for fun on those crazy days :twisted:
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    John Cena is in it. How could it ever be bad?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    John Cena ridiculing people for taking PED's is a bit rich.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • jimmythecuckoo
    He's no Brock Lesnar though
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Looks like LA is taking the opportunity to rehabilitate his image, by showing what a great guy he is, able to laugh at himself and leaving people with the image that they were all at it, he was just one of the lads etc.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    He's no Brock Lesnar though

His entire career is still built on the use of synthetic testosterone and growth hormone etc.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    More important than Armstrong appearing in this, when are they going to release a new version of Dodgeball with him edited out?
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95 wrote:
    More important than Armstrong appearing in this, when are they going to release a new version of Dodgeball with him edited out?
    Yeah ruins a great film ;)
  • bobmcstuff
    http://www.velonews.com/2017/06/comment ... 441251/amp

Apparently it's fairly entertaining. Who knew.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Herb71 wrote:
    Looks like LA is taking the opportunity to rehabilitate his image, by showing what a great guy he is, able to laugh at himself and leaving people with the image that they were all at it, he was just one of the lads etc.

This.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Herb71 wrote:

This.
    I'm not sure that's right. The filmmakers previous effort about tennis had featured a few US tennis players in it (McEnroe, Williams..). Same deal I expect, but the filmmakers (and their audience) probably only know one cyclist so they asked him. And Armstrong has always been very keen to associate with Hollywood celebs. I think that's more why he wants to be involved.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Herb71 wrote:

That bit's pretty much bang on isn't it...
  • jimmythecuckoo
    I am actually looking forward to this one, about as much as I am Minions 3 and the Olof movie.

Lance is a plum still though.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Garry H wrote:
    Herb71 wrote:

Maybe, but from what I have read (and no, I don't believe everything I read), LA took things to new levels, taking the process from amateur to professional and adding a degree of threat and menace to those that didn't tow the line.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    I know we all want to think Lance was different doping wise, but he wasn't really.

What he did well was monopolise the best Dr.

Most people would agree Ferrari was more capable than Fuentes.

The rest was just part of taking the sport to more professional levels. Arguably, within the context of cycling at the time, he was just looking at every angle and maximising it as much as possible.

He made sure he brought his rivals into his own team. When they left, he made sure they lost access to the best Dr. He made sure the kit was good; he was in wind tunnels a lot earlier than his rivals - etc etc.

He was very thorough. Just some of that was doping.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Herb71 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Herb71 wrote:

Maybe, but from what I have read (and no, I don't believe everything I read), LA took things to new levels, taking the process from amateur to professional and adding a degree of threat and menace to those that didn't tow the line.

The threat and menace was always there. Ask Kimmage...
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    I know we all want to think Lance was different doping wise, but he wasn't really.

The rest was just part of taking the sport to more professional levels. Arguably, within the context of cycling at the time, he was just looking at every angle and maximising it as much as possible.

He made sure he brought his rivals into his own team. When they left, he made sure they lost access to the best Dr. He made sure the kit was good; he was in wind tunnels a lot earlier than his rivals - etc etc.

What was different was the levels he went to to protect his feifdom - the lawsuits, the charity shield, the lies... The doping also transformed him from a very good classics rider into a grand tour winner.

It would be apt if all that remains in his possession after the legal sh!tstorm settles down are the seven framed yellow jerseys.
  • bobmcstuff
    I just watched this. It is phenomenally silly.

If it wasn't for Lance it would just be silly.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236

What was different was the levels he went to to protect his feifdom - the lawsuits, the charity shield, the lies... The doping also transformed him from a very good classics rider into a grand tour winner.

It would be apt if all that remains in his possession after the legal sh!tstorm settles down are the seven framed yellow jerseys.

Sure.

He didn't do it on his own mind...
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

It's not the doping per se, it's the rest of it. Doping wise, he did no more than say Ulrich. He was a super-responder to dope, but that's genetic luck.

But he also had colusion from the authorities. His team we're regularly tipped off for doping tests and he made one go away by "donating" to the UCI to buy the world's most expensive centrafuge. So he knew he could get away with it.

He also had more power to influence people in the sport. Lawsuits and intimidation were de rigueur. He defamed the character of whistleblowers and ruined Lemond's bicycle business.

He then re-entered the sport as it was cleaning up and decided to gain an edge by doping again.

Compare to Indurain. Allegedly doped to the eyeballs, smashing everyone in the Tour. Retired gracefully and still liked and respected by all.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.