Giro Empires: Are the laces something to be worried about?

h.m.s.salty
h.m.s.salty Posts: 43
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
So I'm planning on getting a new pair of cycling shoes and I get along quite well with Giro, I use their Rumbles as my go to commuter shoe and I have had experience with their laces when it comes to durability, how long they stay fastened etc; when it comes to quick, 1 hour long commutes.

But the new pair of shoes will be used for consecutive days on the bike with riding upto 6 hours each day and I'm wondering if their laces are suited to that sort of use? I know pros have used them but I'm just an "average joe" and I want to know about your experiences with them!

It's currently between the Empires and a pair of mavics as I've used those with no problems for longer road rides.

Thank you in advance for any advice

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    nope, laces stay snug and are tucked out of the way. Stiff carbon sole so that box is ticked. downside, if you want to tighten them on the move, however it isn't a concern of mine unless the other gents fancy a cafe sprint, as that is all the sprinting I do.

fastening speed? same as a pair of trainers, it is a knot. I've had mine for over 2 years and the laces are fine, not as pretty as they were new, and that is after 4+ rides a week, Ok not commuting numbers but not 1 ride a month.

get whichever fits better/suits the budget
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I find that I need to adjust my shoes 'on-the-fly' during the course of a ride (and before town sign sprints ;) ). Using boas or ratchets this is simple, not sure how you'd do this with laces........
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Svetty wrote:
    I find that I need to adjust my shoes 'on-the-fly' during the course of a ride (and before town sign sprints ;) ). Using boas or ratchets this is simple, not sure how you'd do this with laces........

I bought these which offers the best of both worlds. Same sole and fit as Empires.

http://www.giro.com/eu_en/products/men/ ... acetm.html
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've a pair of lace up MTB shoes for my winter rides. I swapped the laces for elastic and they're great. No messing with knots or worrying about them coming undone. If you're sprinting like cav then I'd go with laces but otherwise - you'll not pull your foot out of these.
  • cougie wrote:
    I've a pair of lace up MTB shoes for my winter rides. I swapped the laces for elastic and they're great

What brand and shoe is it?
  • No.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Really curious about these. What's the problem they're trying to solve? Tried and tested things like velcro, ratchets, boas (in order of price....) are brilliant and seem to do the job. I guess if you were trying to pass shoes off as smart in the office then laces might make them look less like cycling shoes but that's not the idea with these high end ones.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Really curious about these. What's the problem they're trying to solve? Tried and tested things like velcro, ratchets, boas (in order of price....) are brilliant and seem to do the job. I guess if you were trying to pass shoes off as smart in the office then laces might make them look less like cycling shoes but that's not the idea with these high end ones.

Some of the market says that it allows a more custom fit as you more holes (7 or 8) and you can tweak how tight each bit of the lace is. They also look fantastic! If the giro shoes were wide enough for me i'd have a pair for sure. Also aero.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I use Giro Republic SPD shoes which are also lace up. No problems at all with laces staying done up and they tuck away nicely in the little elastic loop half way down the front of the shoe.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Likewise, I have Republics for commuting and SLXs for serious riding. No issues with laces; I used the SLXs for Liege-Bastogne-Liege, which was over 11hrs of saddle time, and didn't have to retie them or anything of that nature.

Laces give you a little more control over the fit, let you use a tighter-fitting overshoe (I sized down one size in the overshoe to get a more aero, and more watertight, fit), and keep the shoe very light. What's not to like?
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684

Arguably, it's the other way round. Ratchets and straps solving a problem that laces didn't have.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • johnnymcg259
    johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
    PaulMon wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

I bought these which offers the best of both worlds. Same sole and fit as Empires.

http://www.giro.com/eu_en/products/men/ ... acetm.html

I have a pair of these Factor Tech Lace shoes as well............brilliant! Fit the velcro/lace bits just the once no need to readjust and then simply use the boa dial for putting on/taking off or small on the fly adjusts. Pricey but worth it imo and if they last at least half a dozen years then cosy per mile aint much is it?!
  • smmjrr
    smmjrr Posts: 45
    Had to buy a new pair of shoes just 1 day before heading off to near 200 mile 2 day event, there was a very limited choice locally, but the Giro Empires were there was a little concerned about the laces, these shoes are really comfy and had no issues with the laces, so no worries on laces they never moved during the 108 on day one and again on 90 on day two, great shoes