Hydration

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited June 2017 in Commuting general
I am currently experimenting going a longer way home (25 miles) as its less congested with traffic. I consider myself to have good all round fitness and my route home is basically flat (a few hills but nothing more than a few % grad typically 200-400m max).

I ride a typical road bike with 25c tyres and I go at a decent pace, Not intense but not dawdling either - Typically I average 17-19mph depending on weather conditions. Without a monitor its hard for me to be specific but it 'feels' like I am usually working at around 60% of my max effort most of the time with short bursts to get up the short hills. I don't get a massive sweat on and nor am I ever seriously out of breath.

I don't take a water bottle with me on the way home. I did try it for a few weeks but I found that I was only drinking about 50% of the bottle total and even then I just felt bloated. I have been far less bloated when cycling home without the water bottle and given that my ride home takes roughly 80-90 mins I have not worried about it that much.

I drink plenty of water and tea at work prior to my ride home usually finishing my final brew about 15-30 mins before I get on the bike.

When I get home I usually have a drink but I am not particularly thirsty

Given the recent hot weather should I worry about not taking water with me ?

Note - I should add that my new route home whilst more tranquil its still in a urban environment so I am never more than 5-10 min from a shop of some sort.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you're thirsty on the bike take some water with you. If I was you I'd prob be putting a few 100ml in.

It's your body. We can't really judge but it's not likely that you'll die either way.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I don't normally bother with a bottle for the commute (10 miles) however, in the recent hot weather I've put some in a bottle just so I can wet my mouth - it's not like water is expensive or I'm worried about the weight on the bike ...
    If I don't drink it on the ride then I usually finish it off at home.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    The problem is by the time you feel thirsty, you are probably already dehydrated, and in this weather you'll lose quite alot of hydration through sweat evaporation and not notice it, whether you need to down litres of water is down to your own body, which you know best how you feel in these situations. All I'd say is you don't lose by having some water available however seemingly small the distance you are covering, 25 miles is still a long hot walk if you get into trouble and have no other means of getting home